1. 1. band

2. 2. signature album

• The Color And The Shape
    • Siamese Dream
  3. 3. other signature album

• There Is Nothing Left To Lose
    • Mellen Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Choose one!

I'm more partial to the Foos personally, but I'm not huge on their third album, meanwhile Mellen Collie is epic.

Smashing pumpkins all the way around. Foo fighters are like the definition of boring for me.

I start an album. i go i am going to love this!!! 2nd track in....i'm bored, lol. shame cause i love the band as people they all seem cool.

SP Corgan is an acquired taste. but i just find them more musically interesting.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Foo is better than post 90s Pumpkins but pre 00s Pumpkins is better than Foo. Nice that Jimmy and Iha are back, though. Jimmy is my favorite 90s drummer, nothing against Grohl, who’s great in his own right. Jimmy and Carter Beauford are the best of the 90s.

I actually saw Billy at the Walk Of Fame ceremonies for Rush. It’s no joke. Billy is freaking tall.

• Like 1

The Foo's peak for me (Echoes and Wasting Light) are more enjoyable than anything Smashing Pumpkins released, but overall I'd say SP have more impact and creativity over their whole catalog. I couldn't vote because I don't agree with either of the third question's options.

A really bizarre comparison.

Why not rate King Crimson versus Bay City Rollers?

• Like 1

Uh, I disagree. The Foos and the Pumpkins basically define alt rock.

Some good material from both. Some meh material from both. Can't say I'm crazy about either. Billy's whiney vocals are f***ing annoying.

So I'll pass on both.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

That should be in a song somewhere.

• Like 1

Give me the first two Smashing albums. Give me no Poo Fighters. I love Dave and Taylor. Big Rush Fans. But no thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah, both bands have sold millions and can fill arenas whenever they tour. That's mainstream rock not alternative.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

Yeah, both bands have sold millions and can fill arenas whenever they tour. That's mainstream rock not alternative.

Ugh, I hate using alternative as a genre title because it doesn’t mean anything anymore. Alt rock in my usage here is less of a level of popularity and more of a style in the tradition of bands who never got very popular in the mainstream. The Pumpkins and the Foos are definitive of the alt rock sound in the mainstream, but not the actual ethos. That belongs more to much less commercial bands like The Pixies and Sonic Youth.

• Like 1

Ugh, I hate using alternative as a genre title because it doesn’t mean anything anymore. Alt rock in my usage here is less of a level of popularity and more of a style in the tradition of bands who never got very popular in the mainstream. The Pumpkins and the Foos are definitive of the alt rock sound in the mainstream, but not the actual ethos. That belongs more to much less commercial bands like The Pixies and Sonic Youth.

I remember back in the 90s when everything that was popular in rock got labeled alternative. I even remember a local store having the latest Metallica and Megadeth albums in the "new alternative" section. That label really lost its meaning a long time ago.

• Like 2

I remember back in the 90s when everything that was popular in rock got labeled alternative. I even remember a local store having the latest Metallica and Megadeth albums in the "new alternative" section. That label really lost its meaning a long time ago.

I should make this into a bumper sticker or something.

“Alternative? To what?!”

• Like 2

“Alternative? To what?!”

Yep. Everyone was asking the same thing 25 years ago.

• Like 1

Yep. This.

“Alternative? To what?!”

Yep. Everyone was asking the same thing 25 years ago.

I prefer "Alternative Tentacles!"

Love,

DEAD KENNEDYS

• Like 1

the first two smashing pumpkins albums are great. the foo fighters dont even have the raw charm of nirvana. I don't hate them, they're just bland

Hahaha! I knew I loved you. :)

Gish and Siamese Dream are great records. After that? Poop.

I think Jimmy is a great fuckking drummer. I will admit I do love some "Machina."

The drumming on "Glass And The Ghost Children" is AMAZING!!!!! POO FIGHTERS!!! YUCK!