POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?

Texas King

POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?

• Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
    • Prince - Purple Rain

Purple Rain. I don't care if it's not "right" but i've never been a fan of Hendrix. respect the hell out of him. but not a fan.

Mick

Same.

I know and appreciate the impact he had on rock guitar but I have never heard a song from Hendrix that I particularly cared for.

Really? That surprises me.

Why does it surprise you?

Not one song among the classics like Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, Crosstown Traffic, Little Wing, All Along The Watchtower, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Purple Haze...

Seems weird for a guy of your tastes

So, since I'm a metal fan I should automatically like Hendrix? His songs do nothing for me. I don't dislike what I have heard, I'm just indifferent to it. Revolutionary player but there have been many better players to come after him.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Purple Rain. I don't care if it's not "right" but i've never been a fan of Hendrix. respect the hell out of him. but not a fan.

Mick

Same.

I know and appreciate the impact he had on rock guitar but I have never heard a song from Hendrix that I particularly cared for.

Not one song among the classics like Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, Crosstown Traffic, Little Wing, All Along The Watchtower, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Purple Haze...

So, since I'm a metal fan I should automatically like Hendrix? His songs do nothing for me. I don't dislike what I have heard, I'm just indifferent to it. Revolutionary player but there have been many better players to come after him.

Three words.....

Stevie

Ray

Vaughan

Mick

Same.

Three words.....

Stevie

Ray

Vaughan

Never understood the high praise for his playing, honestly.

Mick

Same.

i bet a good many of the players you feel are better would disagree or rate him highly

but you are right its all taste and whenever someone dies at their considered peak it muddies the water further

i have said before how an early death often leads to overrating

for me its kurt cobain, i think he and nirvana are overrated although i do like a few tunes. i think its the fact you dont like any hendrix tunes to be strange. not even one?

Mick

Same.

So, since I'm a metal fan I should automatically like Hendrix?

That's not what I said.

Mick

Same.

That's not what I said.

Correct, I completely read that the wrong way. My apologies.

Mick

Same.

i bet a good many of the players you feel are better would disagree or rate him highly

but you are right its all taste and whenever someone dies at their considered peak it muddies the water further

i have said before how an early death often leads to overrating

for me its kurt cobain, i think he and nirvana are overrated although i do like a few tunes. i think its the fact you dont like any hendrix tunes to be strange. not even one?

I think with Hendrix it's a case of the praise being so huge for him that it just left me completely underwhelmed when hearing his stuff. I wasn't born until eight years after he died, so his legend had already grown to such epic proportions by the time I knew of him that nothing short of being the greatest thing I have ever heard would have done that legend justice. Instead he was just a guy that got played on the radio station my parents listened to.

Mick

Same.

Depends on what you mean by "better".

Mick

Same.

Black Sabbath is heavily influenced by JH. There have been many better players to come after him, but you have to admit Toni Iommi is not one of them.

Mick

Same.

Black Sabbath is heavily influenced by JH. There have been many better players to come after him, but you have to admit Toni Iommi is not one of them.

You have too? You don't have to admit anything. Iommi was every bit the innovator Hendrix was, and just because one owes a debt to the ground broken by the other doesn't make either one necessarily better.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Mick

Same.

Do you know who you're talking to? You're not going to find a bigger Tony Iommi fan than me. I know he was influenced by Hendrix. Every aspiring guitar player back at that time was. That still doesn't change my opinion that Iommi was a much better player. His style and the songs he did with Sabbath connected with me on a level very few bands have. Unfortunately, nothing from Hendrix ever got to me in that way.

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

That's not what I said.

Correct, I completely read that the wrong way. My apologies.

:cheers:

Mick

Same.

Do you know who you're talking to? You're not going to find a bigger Tony Iommi fan than me. I know he was influenced by Hendrix. Every aspiring guitar player back at that time was. That still doesn't change my opinion that Iommi was a much better player. His style and the songs he did with Sabbath connected with me on a level very few bands have. Unfortunately, nothing from Hendrix ever got to me in that way.

100% completely valid opinion, and might I add, as a big fan of both guitarists (who both were major influences on my own favorite guitarists), Iommi's work connected with me much more immediately than Jimi's. Jimi doesn't sound that revolutionary on first listen since everyone and their brother copied him. Iommi, influential as he was, doesn't get lost in all the influence he had like Hendrix.

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

100% completely valid opinion, and might I add, as a big fan of both guitarists (who both were major influences on my own favorite guitarists), Iommi's work connected with me much more immediately than Jimi's. Jimi doesn't sound that revolutionary on first listen since everyone and their brother copied him. Iommi, influential as he was, doesn't get lost in all the influence he had like Hendrix.

Come on, when it comes to impact Jimi is a much GREATER guitarist. And also technically better by a fair margin.

You would probably call Iommi "the alpha and omega" of metal music, but I would partially agree with that, because although Iommi is very significant from the aspect of heavy riffs, his very bluesy guitar solos barely have any similarities with guitar solos of most metal bands that came after Sabbath (Judas, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc).

Edited by Texas King

Mick

Same.

Come on, when it comes to impact Jimi is a much GREATER guitarist. And also technically better by a fair margin.

You would probably call Iommi "the alpha and omega" of metal music, but I would partially agree with that, because although Iommi is very significant from the aspect of heavy riffs, his very bluesy guitar solos barely have any similarities with guitar solos of most metal bands that came after Sabbath (Judas, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc).

You can believe whatever you want about who's better. All I'm saying is you can't tell J2112YYZ he's obligated to agree with you.

Mick

Same.

What? A very good case that Iommi is a better player than Hendrix was can be made pretty easily.

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

What? A very good case that Iommi is a better player than Hendrix was can be made pretty easily.

No way. Hendrix had better and more remarkable guitar works than Iommi. You will barely find Iommi in any popular discussion about all-time great guitar solos.

Mick

Same.

No way. Hendrix had better and more remarkable guitar works than Iommi. You will barely find Iommi in any popular discussion about all-time great guitar solos.

He’s probably the most frequently mentioned person when discussing great riff creators. You think Hendrix was better. That doesn’t mean it can’t be credibly argued that Iommi is. I would.

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

the case may be easy to make but very hard to defend. its a tough fight, jimi brought alot to the game.

i usually hear chuck berry, hendrix, van halen as the old school game changers,

anyways, make the case and then make a poll. we will see where that goes.

Mick

Same.

In metal circles you absolutely would. Even the Paranoid solo is brilliant. Iommi is an all time great and a massive innovator with huge influence. Just because he didn’t have quite as broad an influence as Jimi doesn’t necessarily make him a worse player.

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

the case may be easy to make but very hard to defend. its a tough fight, jimi brought alot to the game.

I personally don't think there's any question that Edward Van Halen is better than Hendrix.

I love Hendrix. But listen to "side 2" of Sabbath's debut, or Heaven and Hell from Live Evil. Iommi is technically superior to Hendrix. Variety? Listen to Vol. 4 in its entirety. The beauty of Laguna Sunrise to the heaviness of Tomorrow's Dream.

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

I personally don't think there's any question that Edward Van Halen is better than Hendrix.

Yep, he is definitely better technically. But when it comes to impact in the world of rock guitar Jimi is greater than him or generally the greatest of all players.