Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

So glad I went to the r40 show in Detroit. It was a last minute decision and I went by myself.

I also saw R40 by myself...I had seen my first Rush show alone, and I knew R40 was going to be the last one, so I chose to do it the same way. Really glad that I did.

However...last night I did text an old friend of mine- of all the Rush shows I saw, he went to about half of them with me, as he was also a fan (including on the Clockwork Angels tour, which was the first time that either of us had seen Rush live since the first half of the 1990s...and we also saw Time Stand Still together, in the theater)...I thanked him for the Rush times and memories we shared, and told him I loved him.

• Like 2

I'm crying since yesterday. Neil Peart work's was one of my greatest inspirations....

Wanting to stop crying, I went to a bar today and met some Rush fans here in Brasília (Brazil's capital), all sad together and listening to Rush songs all night long.

I'm sure his legacy will always be remembered.

Thank you, Professor.

• Like 6

Heavens yes, Ged and Al knew. Just as Queen were told by Freddy. No way were they disrespecting Neil in that manner. It would be "hew to the line of right, and let the chips fall where they may". And so much the better for us all, imho.

Unless Neil cut off complete contact with Geddy and Alex, the both of them absolutely did know. This would have also meant that Neil's wife and daughter would have not been in communication with either of them as well. Drummer Mike Portnoy mentioned on social media yesterday after the news broke that he was aware of Neil's health issues. If he knew there is no way Geddy and Alex didn't.

I remember seeing several Facebook posts about fans wanting the band to get back together, The typical conversation. A couple of the responses amounted to "there's more going on than you know". I'm not naming names, but of course the inner circle knew. They kep it quiet to give their friend and partner his privacy and dignity.

• Like 1

My eyes are dried with salt and then the "Tears" fall again. I have cried all day and night. I know "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend" yet we all live in the "Limelight."

We will all pass away one day but this one really hurts me deep.

I know over the many moons I have been an unfiltered and over the top forum member, but it was really all about RUSH and my passion for this band since I was in the seventh grade.

Regardless of igniting strangers on here with my daunting daggers in text and such. No matter what anyone will ever think of me on this Forum or on the Earth. Neil was "IT" for me.

Many of you have always asked for my "ban" over the years, yet 73 must have seen the goodness in me. You can't be loved by everyone on the planet, and you certainly can't be hated by everyone too. It's life.

I have made way more friends on this Forum than enemies. Probably why I am still around. 73 knows "The Real Me." Anyway, my father and Neil have been my mentors. The two guys I look up to and love beyond beyond.

I am sooooo sad today, yet I know that I am also so lucky and blessed. My 82 year young father is still alive and very healthy. My 79 year old mom is still alive and doing well too.

My phone blew up today. Over one hundred texts from friends and people around the world were worried about me today. Ex-girlfriends, even my ex wife who I took to over 25 Rush shows over 20 years was so sweet to me.

I always thought to myself after I saw the last RUSH show ever that how will I ever deal with Neil's death some year. I figured I had lots of time to figure it out. I had no clue. But even thought I was an atheist in the past I became more about the Universe and

Spirituality. "Spirit Of Radio" comes to mind. So I think it's time to share something with all and it's really no big deal now, but I have to get this off my chest and tell you all.

Back on November 2nd 2019 I met someone who knew the Peart family very well. He told me that Neil was suffering from a brain tumor and that Geddy and Alex flew out to see him at his Santa Monica home.

I had no idea about this and I thought it was a complete rumor and not true information at all. I just dismissed this notion and moved on from it.

Now here we all are on January 10th 2020. Neil is gone from brain cancer. It kills me. All of my friends and family told me on the phone today that I am a very lucky soul. Forget about seeing 60 Neil Peart drum solos since 1984. Forget about the incredible lyrical content Neil gave to this Earth.

For me personally Neil gave me a gift. I fell in love with the drums in the seventh grade. Then that same year I fell in love with RUSH and especially Neil Peart.

I remember back in 1981 which was actually the eighth grade now I was taking drum lessons. Sorry, "Bravado" just came one. I can't see the screen with so many tears flowing down my face. I remember reading an article about how Alex had to just watch Neil play the drums on this song. Even his jaw hit the ground.

Neil's drumming on "Bravdo" is beyond beyond. I love playing it on the drums.

Anyway, where was I? So my drum teacher, Ray Libby told me to put on the headphones because he wanted to teach me "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac. I remember even as a young spirited fella that I was totally bored playing that song one time through. I remember how bored I was.

So next week I brought him the cassette of "Moving Pictures." I told Ray I would like him to teach me "YYZ." on the drums. Everyone was into "Tom Sawyer" as kids. I was hooked on "YYZ." Well my drum teacher couldn't play it. Ironically I think Ray was more of a jazz drummer. LOL!

I left in frustration that night.

I went home and I put on my Sony Walkman and I learned "YYZ" on my own.

Then it became a passion. An obsession.

All I did was want to learn the entire Rush Canon on the drums.

So I started to go backwards in time and play to all of earlier records.

I was so young and I loved the challenge.

"Be cool or be cast out?"

I was a total nerd.

Had no friends even through high school.

I just immersed myself in Rush music for the drums.

The perfect nerd.

Closing the door in my drum room. My parents never complained. They are the greatest parents on the Earth to me.

Then closing my bedroom door.

Cranking "Grace Under Pressure" on cassette on my Pioneer stereo. Sitting at my desk ignoring my homework and writing lyrics like Neil.

I even did little drawings for the titles. I really liked using red and black for the title and art.

Hell, some people even today think I look a bit like Neil. It's true.

Even in the "Time Stand Still" video during that three dimensional shot. Neil in his black tank top with a tan. I that was me in 1987.

Well I've had a few beers tonight. Dedicated my first one to Neil. I'm still "Face Up" as I write this homage to Neil.

The greatest drummer and lyricist on the planet.

I will confess that even when I was an "Analog Kid" I hated seeing Neil holding a cigarette in magazine shots or just in random pics.

I have always hated cigarettes and I really had a hard time seeing Neil smoking that horrible crap.

I mean even in his books he refers to his Marlboros as "red apples."

Again, another weird thing.....

Last night I watched "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood." A masterpiece. Should win all the Oscars.

But anyway, at the end of the film Leo is doing a black and white ad for cigarettes. The are called "Red Apples."

So in my brain I thought perhaps that's why Neil called his smokes "red apples" instead.

Well, we all have our "Freewill" and we all make our own decisions.

I feel so sad for Geddy and Alex, but mostly Carrie and Olivia.

Neil is reunited with Jackie and Selena. So sad. "Chain Lightning" comes to mind. Amazing lyrics.

Life is short Rush Gang.

My heart is crushed and I have cried and ocean of tears tonight. "High Water" is rising from my eyes as I type this.

I mean I must be crazy right? Many of you think I am.

I have N PEART on my California license plate. Black with yellow letters. It's amazing and I am proud to have these plates.

Glad I met Neil by his bus during the "Vapor Trails" Tour despite us just locking eyes like two deer in headlights.

All I wanted to tell Neil was "Thank you, I've been playing the drums for 30 years thanks to you." I couldn't get the words out.

I was starstruck for the first time and only time in my life. He simply walked backwards and recoiled back onto his bus.

Meeting Geddy and Alex with many of my wonderful friends was a breeze on the GUP IV Wine Tour. Geddy and Alex were so sweet and so fun.

I remember Rod asked Alex if I could try out for RUSH and take Neil's place. Alex laughed and told me... "Ok you have 30 seconds to try out...... GO!"

So I hammered out "YYZ" on the breakfast tray with my fingers. Alex laughed and said.... "Ok! That's it! Thanks for trying!

It was classic.

Love you Rod. Love all of my friends on here.

This has been a rough day and it's finally after midnight. A new day is dawn yet the pain will eternally linger on..........................................

I will take my drumming gift and my love for Neil to my grave one day.

It's the Cycle Of Life.

We will all perish one day.

But yet we well always pray for the best.

I always thought of "Afterimage when his first wife and daughter passed. Now I think about Neil too.

"All the crap we are to take."

One of my best friends died last night too.

Killing me.

As I sit here with sunken in red bloated eyes, all I can do it learn to let it go and become stronger from this sadness.

I am so glad my mom and dad and my two girls Zoe and Skylar have seen RUSH.

One of my small goals in life. Achieved.

My girls have seen an Neil Peart drum solo in their lives.

I am happy with a mixture of emotional tears.

NEIL PEART! I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

YOU WILL LIVE INSIDE ME EVEN AFTER I DIE!!!!

I WILL PLAY YOUR MUSIC ALONE ON THE DRUMS UNTIL I DIE!!!

CAPS ON BABY!!!!

CAPS FUKKKKKKKKKING ON!!!!!

THAT'S FOR ALL OF YOU WHO KNOW ME!!!!!

RIP PROFESSER!

The greatest drummer ever!!

Jesus! "Ghost Of A Chance" is now on my stereo! It was my wedding song.

"I believe there's a ghost of a chance to find someone to love and make it last."

My marriage failed, but at least I found the late great Neil Peart in my little tiny life.

I am blessed Johnny Blaze. Not cursed...........................................

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM FAMILY!!!!

THANK YOU 73 FOR KEEPING ME AROUND!!!!!! One hell of a rollercoaster ride baby! I'm still not getting off!

NEIL PEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very well said, Earl. I haven’t had nearly enough fortitude to post anything at great length, but it may be coming...but well done, sir. I am just at a loss...as I’m also a drummer, since 1985, and a Rush fiend since several years earlier than that.

Long live Neil’s words and music!!

Wow!!! I am flattered Blue J! I am totally flattered and honored. When the time is right for you I hope you write something long too.

Love you dude!

I've cried enough "Tears" in 27 hours to fill up my bathtub.

It's been an incredible 27 hours for me. I have cried tears of pain and joy.

Over 100 people from around the world have checked in on me. Phone, text, email and even on this Forum.

I am soooo honored and loved. I am really not shocked but this tragedy has really made my heart stronger.

It's just incredible.

I mean this is a worldwide tragedy. The world is mourning Neil's passing. They played some "Freewill" today during the Niners Vikes game. They played a snippet of "Tom Sawyer" during the Ravens game.

I called my friend John Nymann yesterday in tears talking to him about Neil. He was so sweet. He was the first person to make me laugh through my tears of sorrow and pain. He cried for a day when Keith Moon passed. John knew my pain.

John was also on tour with Y&T back in 1984 when they opened for Rush on the GUP Tour on the East Coast. I believe John was the mascot. Rock the Robot.

Anyway he told me some stories about those few weeks with the boys. Amazing stuff. John was always amazed watching Neil play from behind the stage. "A machine." "Precise." "Innovative."

So I didn't go to the Y&T show last night in Tracy Ca, but I asked John to let me know if Dave Meniketti will mention Neil during the show.

This morning when I woke of to 53 texts, one of them was John. I don't know the exact words, but Dave did talk about Neil in between songs. I knew Dave would. Another gentleman and Legend in the music business.

Neil will always be deep inside my soul and I will play my drums to Rush music until I die or until my mortal body can't do it anymore.

NEIL PEART!!!!!! "I LOVE YOU MAN!" FOREVER!!!!!

• Like 7

I feel bad for Carrie and especially Olivia. I also feel sad that here I thought he was at last enjoying retirement but instead he was suffering through treatments etc. Neil's life had so much tragedy and ended in tragedy. He wished not to live it all again even prior to this occurring and obviously this ending showed he was right in not wanting to.

I know right? It kills me that Neil never got to see either of his daughters graduate college. He will never seem them get married. He will never hold a grandchild. Either living on this earth as a mortal man he lived though tragedy. Now that he has passed away so soon, he will miss out on Olivia's growth as well.

It breaks my heart into a trillion pieces. Makes me realize how lucky I am to still have my amazing parents and my two beautiful daughters. Like Neil wrote a few times I believe in the Rush canon... "precious cargo." We all are..................................................

• Like 4

This will take time to absorb. Not knowing that he's even ill to speaking about him in the past tense. Wow. How they managed to keep this out of the public realm for over 3 years is astonishing. He must have told almost no one outside of immediate family.

It's gut wrenching right now, but I'm trying to think of positives. I'm glad he had a chance to at least enjoy *some* family time finally free from the pressures of being in Rush, although it obviously ended up being FAR too short. I'm guessing the year or so he had before he was diagnosed was one of the happiest of his life.

The other thing I'm grateful for is the large body of incredible work he left behind. We'll always have it and it will help keep him alive in our hearts.

RIP Neil. You certainly made a mark on this world that will never be forgotten.

• Like 4

Well.... this is a weird one and a first. I was at the gym and could not help noticing a guy on an elliptical with a Snakes and Arrows shirt on. I passed him and looked at his shirt, and didn't know what to do except put one hand over my heart and point at his shirt. He patted his heart twice and fist bumped me, we smiled then I wanted to cry. Just wow. Thought i'd share this embarrassing moment with you all. Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 14

Glasses up BITCHES

Neil-toast2.jpg

I've only had Scotch and water once in my life, back in my teens, and I must say, it wasn't a good occasion. I was a bourbon man myself...first taste of bourbon was Old Grand-Dad bourbon in fall of '74 Jack Old no. 7 on the plane trip back to Michigan from Orlando Fla. in summer of '77was the second. Later on that year, at Christmas I made up what I call a Dr. Daniels which is Dr. Pepper and Jack Old No. 7. similar to a Jack and Coke, but with Dr. Pepper instead of coke...

aUR23GD.jpg

• Like 2

Glasses up BITCHES

Neil-toast2.jpg

I've only had Scotch and water once in my life, back in my teens, and I must say, it wasn't a good occasion. I was a bourbon man myself...first taste of bourbon was Old Grand-Dad bourbon in fall of '74 Jack Old no. 7 on the plane trip back to Michigan from Orlando Fla. in summer of '77was the second. Later on that year, at Christmas I made up what I call a Dr. Daniels which is Dr. Pepper and Jack Old No. 7. similar to a Jack and Coke, but with Dr. Pepper instead of coke...

aUR23GD.jpg

Glasses up bitches! I'm in!!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Well.... this is a weird one and a first. I was at the gym and could not help noticing a guy on an elliptical with a Snakes and Arrows shirt on. I passed him and looked at his shirt, and didn't know what to do except put one hand over my heart and point at his shirt. He patted his heart twice and fist bumped me, we smiled then I wanted to cry. Just wow. Thought i'd share this embarrassing moment with you all.

There’s nothing embarrassing about people paying their respects to a person who did a lot of good in the world, musically and beyond that.

• Like 6

I keep thinking that this was somehow the cruelest type of cancer to hit him. Besides his drumming what set him apart from almost all other musicians was his intelligence. The way he spoke and wrote was so far above most others. And he gets brain cancer... f*#k cancer. As he used to sign for me and others - Happy Travels Neil

my thoughts exactly, how cruel can life be??

Very.

• Like 3

I keep thinking that this was somehow the cruelest type of cancer to hit him. Besides his drumming what set him apart from almost all other musicians was his intelligence. The way he spoke and wrote was so far above most others. And he gets brain cancer... f*#k cancer. As he used to sign for me and others - Happy Travels Neil

Very.

The whole thing literally blows my mind!! Pun intended.

One of my best friends on the planet came over to comfort me last night. In my family room I have that 3D album cover of "Hemispheres" on display.

As we were talking and having a cold beer Dan looked over at the 3D cover and said..... "wow Earl, isn't it ironic? There is one of the greatest covers on the planet. A brain. The intellect and the animal. Both hemispheres of the brain and Neil somehow gets brain cancer." Neil, the brilliant writer, drummer and reader of books.

I don't understand but it's life and death and out of our mortal hands and minds.

I must confess and I'm sorry if have typed this already but even when I was a kid and seeing pictures of Neil in KERRANG! BURRN! Circus, and Hit Parader sometimes there would be a candid black and white show of Neil holding a fukking cigarette in his hands. Even back then as an "Analog Kid" was very upset that Neil was a smoker. I don't mean to offend anyone on this board who smokes. You too have your "Freewill" but I was always wondering why a young drummer at the time would smoke. I always thought that Neil needed his healthy lungs and strong body to beat the crap out his beautiful kit.

Even in his books he talks about cigarettes.

I seriously thought that Neil might get lung cancer one day. But never brain cancer.

I am in shock.

My number one musician and influence on this earth is gone.

He's really like a family member to me. It's strange, just like the odd time signature on "The Weapon."

I'm a mess folks.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 8

Very.

One of my best friends on the planet came over to comfort me last night. In my family room I have that 3D album cover of "Hemispheres" on display.

As we were talking and having a cold beer Dan looked over at the 3D cover and said..... "wow Earl, isn't it ironic? There is one of the greatest covers on the planet. A brain. The intellect and the animal. Both hemispheres of the brain and Neil somehow gets brain cancer." Neil, the brilliant writer, drummer and reader of books.

I don't understand but it's life and death and out of our mortal hands and minds.

I must confess and I'm sorry if have typed this already but even when I was a kid and seeing pictures of Neil in KERRANG! BURRN! Circus, and Hit Parader sometimes there would be a candid black and white show of Neil holding a fukking cigarette in his hands. Even back then as an "Analog Kid" was very upset that Neil was a smoker. I don't mean to offend anyone on this board who smokes. You too have your "Freewill" but I was always wondering why a young drummer at the time would smoke. I always thought that Neil needed his healthy lungs and strong body to beat the crap out his beautiful kit.

I seriously thought that Neil might get lung cancer one day. But never brain cancer.

I am in shock.

He's really like a family member to me. It's strange, just like the odd time signature on "The Weapon."

I'm a mess folks.

Earl, I feel for you.

I'm sorry I can't be here more often the past few days. My husband had another stroke two months ago and just came home three days ago. It hasn't been easy. I don't know when I'll be back full time at this point as we will be moving in a month or so into Idaho.

• Like 3

Very.

I am in shock.

I'm a mess folks.

Earl, I feel for you.

I'm sorry I can't be here more often the past few days. My husband had another stroke two months ago and just came home three days ago. It hasn't been easy. I don't know when I'll be back full time at this point as we will be moving in a month or so into Idaho.

I am so sorry Lorraine to read that. You are a very strong woman and I know it isn't easy but you have this! Take care of your husband. That's first.

Thank you caring about me over the years. You are a wonderful woman too. I love you Lorraine.

Take care of business and have a safe move to Idaho. I da ho? You da ho! Sorry bad joke. Just trying to lighten up the mood. "In The Mood?" lol

Thank you for everything.

I also wanted to let you know that it's not just my passion in drumming for Neil. He also got me into writing poetry at a young age.

I mean it's obvious which could be a bad thing. I wanted to emulate my life through Neil. Drumming and in writing.

I graduated from St. Mary's with an English degree because writing was my strong suit.

Perhaps also the kiss of death writing on a public forum. I write how I talk in real life and I love creative writing to. Hence my schtick perhaps.

Enough about me.

You be strong Lorraine. Godspeed.

• Like 2

Just watched Styx's tribute to Neil, playing Limelight, and I want to throw up. It just hit me how profound a tragedy this is. Very hard to swallow :(

As wonderful as that tribute was I understand. Gowan's voice is shot. I see STYX once a year and usually they do "Bohemian Rhapsody" like that. Just Gowan and that is always hard to swallow.

I admire the thought and homage and I honor it. But I get it.

It was very hard hearing Geddy sing on the R40 Tour. JMO But love him always.

My wife and I listened to Rush this evening for about an hour or so. Then it became suffocating; the sadness, the grief... We turned it off and found something to watch on TV. Now she is asleep and I'm lying here in bed looking for solace in the empathy and understanding of people I've never met as I hurt for someone I've never met. Virtuality indeed... Tired of death. But as we advance in years it's inevitable that death will impact life more frequently. More immediately. Whether it's a loved one or a drummer in a rock band. I need to close my eyes and sleep.

PS - Lorraine, my wife appreciated your thinking of her. She wanted me to send her regards the next time I commented.

• Like 2

Just watched Styx's tribute to Neil, playing Limelight, and I want to throw up. It just hit me how profound a tragedy this is. Very hard to swallow :(

As wonderful as that tribute was I understand. Gowan's voice is shot. I see STYX once a year and usually they do "Bohemian Rhapsody" like that. Just Gowan and that is always hard to swallow.

Hearing this song, with the lone drumkit in background, as it dawns on me that Neil is gone wrecks me :(

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 2

Hearing this song, as it finally dawns on me that Neil is gone, just wrecks me :(

I know GR79.

We are all wrecked. We are all gutted. We are all sad, but we are all in this together. I don't care about my past and writing over the top stuff. It's in the past. It's about now. Tonight. "As the cells tick away...."

Regardless of opinion and controversy or drama on a public forum we are all a family. Regardless of this forum, millions of us are hurting on this planet right now.

We will all be broken and torn. Hurt and sad but we will all heal.

When I heard "Tears" tonight I could barely get though it.

Neil's passing will bring all of us closer together, not tear us apart.

"Closer To The Heart" buddy. Chin up!!

• Like 7