Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

This is my first post in TRF in I don’t know how long. And it sucks under these circumstances. I love all you guys. It feels like I lost a family member. So sad. Just watched BTLS for the first time in a while tonight. Family. That’s what we are.

I don't know you and you don't know me, but you are right - Family - that's what we are.

The Rush Family is WORLDWIDE. We are a very lucky family. We will be a Rush Family Forever. I already have written in my will that the "Starman" logo will be put at the center top of my tombstone.

I've said on here many times in the past, there are no fans like Rush fans. Rush fans are the most genuine and unique human beings I have ever encountered.

It's a privilege to be here with all of you. If that sounds artificial, I'm sorry, because I sincerely mean it.

Your words resonate through my entire body. I know you very well and your words are right on "The Big Money" honey! :)

Just trying to make you smile.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

As a kid, I delivered The Seattle Post Intelligecer via bicycle. My handlebars were loaded with newspapers. I remember riding my bicycle in the early morning while listening to Signala on my knock off walkman.

Nice!

I remember my mom drove me to Rainbow Records when "Signals" came out. I ran in and bought the cassette.

When I got home I raced into my bedroom and put it on my little Pioneer stereo.

After the first listening I must confess I was upset. I was like... "Where the hell is the guitar?" "Neil's drumming is more basic!" I was so mad!

But then eventually I fell in love with the record.

• Like 3

As a kid, I delivered The Seattle Post Intelligecer via bicycle. My handlebars were loaded with newspapers. I remember riding my bicycle in the early morning while listening to Signala on my knock off walkman.

Nice!

I remember my mom drove me to Rainbow Records when "Signals" came out. I ran in and bought the cassette.

After the first listening I must confess I was upset. I was like... "Where the hell is the guitar?" "Neil's drumming is more basic!" I was so mad!

The lyrics of Analog Kid hit me hard.

I was at that point in my life where I didn't know what to do with my future.

I figured it out.

• Like 1

The thing that keeps popping into my head today is the German word Ach!!!! Anybody that knows Neil's Roadshow book will know the context. Neil said the word, which probably means "Ugh...not fair", came into his vocabulary from a European friend who passed suddenly and way too young. Neil would use it whenever one of his friends/acquaintances would pass especially if much too young or if he didn't get a chance to say goodbye. That is how I feel about Neil's passing.....Ach!!!! This going to hurt for a long time. Edited by presto123
  • Like 2

Nice!

The lyrics of Analog Kid hit me hard.

I was at that point in my life where I didn't know what to do with my future.

I figured it out.

I love your memory. I get it. We all went through it. We went from Analog Kids to Digital Men to Working Men ;)

• Like 2

The thing that keeps popping into my head today is the German word Ach!!!! Anybody that knows Neil's Roadshow book will know the context. Neil said the word, which probably means "Ugh...not fair", came into his vocabulary from a European friend who passed suddenly and way too young. Neil would use it whenever one of his friends/acquaintances would pass especially if much too young or if he didn't get a chance to say goodbye. That is how I feel about Neil's passing.....Ach!!!! This going to hurt for a long time.

Eventually the pain we all feel will fade away into joy.

I've been "Working Them Angels" overtime since Friday.

Trust me even though I am a stranger to many of you.

I am working through it and it's only day three.

It will get better. For all of us.

I slept well last night. Needed it.

I wish all of you who are in pain a good sleep.

We are a Rush Family.

I can pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.

I have met many.

My Name Is Earl

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 5

The thing that keeps popping into my head today is the German word Ach!!!! Anybody that knows Neil's Roadshow book will know the context. Neil said the word, which probably means "Ugh...not fair", came into his vocabulary from a European friend who passed suddenly and way too young. Neil would use it whenever one of his friends/acquaintances would pass especially if much too young or if he didn't get a chance to say goodbye. That is how I feel about Neil's passing.....Ach!!!! This going to hurt for a long time.

Eventually the pain we all feel will fade away into joy.

I've been "Working Them Angels" overtime since Friday.

Trust me even though I am a stranger to many of you.

I am working through it and it's only day three.

It will get better. For all of us.

I slept well last night. Needed it.

I wish all of you who are in pain a good sleep.

We are a Rush Family.

I can pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.

I have met many.

My Name Is Earl

Workin’ Them Angels, indeed...god I love that song! The lyrics mean so much to me (and did to Neil too, I’m sure).

All my life, I’ve been workin’ them angels overtime!

That’s never been any more true as it is now, as we see and feel the outpouring of all of the emotions- here at TRF, and across the rest of the world. It is truly remarkable to see how Neil’s (and Ged and Alex’s) talents have influenced so many other people.

His passing is one of the hardest I’ve ever dealt with. Vapor trails has new meaning to me now.

I haven’t listened to any Rush music yet, since Neil died. But I was sitting and reading the lyrics in the VT CD booklet last night...and I agree with you.

His passing is one of the hardest I’ve ever dealt with. Vapor trails has new meaning to me now.

Vapor Trails came out the same year my mother passed away at age 62. It was sudden. She went home sick from work, crawled into bed and never woke up. The thing I remember vividly is how the rest of the world just keeps going around you, even though you are frozen in grief. Almost like her life was "washed away like voices in a hurricane". And how "you can never break the chain". Its still hard to listen to all these years later.

I asked my wife over the weekend, who is s psychologist, why Im so bummed about Neils death. Ive never met him. He likely wouldnt want to have met me as he was very private. She said, its both part of your childhood thats now gone, and also pushes your own mortality into the forefront. Im in my late 40s and my kids are growing up so fast. And she is right. And it sucks.

• Like 7

I've been a little surprised how much Neil's passing has affected me, given that I haven't listened to Rush nearly as much during the past two decades as I did during the prior two decades, and I've never participated in any Rush forum or fan club before these past few days.

I've come to realize that this music is something uniquely special, it's own genre really. It synergistically comes together through the sounds and words and concepts and themes in a way that taps deeply into the human condition, resonating very strongly with many of us. Other music of course has such power also, but, for me and so many of us, the music of Rush is uniquely powerful in this regard. I'm realizing that the music was formative in my discovering and becoming who I am. As a teenager and into my 20s and even 30s, the music spoke to me like nothing else did.

And when I think of Neil's role in creating this music, I realize that I really did know him, in some ways even more than I know many people who're frequently in my physical proximity, because Neil was largely an open book, both figuratively and literally. He extensively shared his art, experiences, thoughts, emotions, hopes, and dreams with us, and he did so with honesty and humility, without pretense. And what he shared came from an especially sensitive, thoughtful, wise, and noble person who was especially worthy of listening to and learning from - a teacher and a friend.

Did Neil know us? Was the relationship reciprocal? There was only one Neil and millions of us, so that would have been impossible, and Neil was well aware of that. But in a sense Neil did know us, and consciously made the time to know us through his frequent travels through the backroads of the world, talking with ordinary people, human to human, not as a celebrity. I struggle to think of other examples of superstars who went out of their way to stay grounded and maintain this kind of connection with humanity. So even though Neil and I didn't "know" each other, I believe we did know each other, and I feel like I've lost a good friend and gentle teacher.

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 8

I asked my wife over the weekend, who is s psychologist, why Im so bummed about Neils death. Ive never met him. He likely wouldnt want to have met me as he was very private. She said, its both part of your childhood thats now gone, and also pushes your own mortality into the forefront. Im in my late 40s and my kids are growing up so fast. And she is right. And it sucks.

Thanks for posting this.

When I heard the news Friday afternoon, I admit, I shed a few tears. I felt like a part of me died. After a few minutes, I thought I must be out of my mind. I didn't lose a family member or even a friend I knew. What right did I have to be so upset when Neil's family and friends were filled with grief?

Three days later... I'm still bummed. Then, I read your wife's response. I'm not so bummed anymore. Now it makes sense. I'm lucky that my parents are still alive and in good health. I forgot that they, nor I, will live forever. Neil's unfortunate passing was a reminder that we are not immortal.

I was 12 when I became a Rush fan. Now, I'm almost 48. That part of my childhood may be gone, but I'm so glad Rush's music was a part of my childhood and adulthood. I will always have the music, the videos, and the memories of the many concerts I attended over the years. For that, I will be forever grateful.

Maybe this line from the movie Almost Famous sums it all up?: "To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts."

• Like 7

Thanks for posting this.

When I heard the news Friday afternoon, I admit, I shed a few tears. I felt like a part of me died. After a few minutes, I thought I must be out of my mind. I didn't lose a family member or even a friend I knew. What right did I have to be so upset when Neil's family and friends were filled with grief?

Three days later... I'm still bummed. Then, I read your wife's response. I'm not so bummed anymore. Now it makes sense. I'm lucky that my parents are still alive and in good health. I forgot that they, nor I, will live forever. Neil's unfortunate passing was a reminder that we are not immortal.

I was 12 when I became a Rush fan. Now, I'm almost 48. That part of my childhood may be gone, but I'm so glad Rush's music was a part of my childhood and adulthood. I will always have the music, the videos, and the memories of the many concerts I attended over the years. For that, I will be forever grateful.

Maybe this line from the movie Almost Famous sums it all up?: "To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts."

Then you and are about the same age. The only thing I regret is that I never got to take my son to a Rush concert. He recently asked in the car as we were driving if Rush would ever play again. This was about a month ago. Hes not a huge music fan either. I said that if they ever do, we are going. He was 10 for R40 and the only gig I could make was in Newark NJ (a pretty decent drive from me). I didnt want to drag him along because of that and his age. We had terrible seats too. Now, I wish I had.

Have to admit, the "makes you think about your own mortality" is really hitting home and the words of the Garden keep ringing in my head. And I admit, i have been spending alot of time in recent years worrying about my business and working, and im not "tending to my garden" enough. Sounds weird to even write for me, but its true. Maybe the lesson from all this is to get busy living and dont forget about your garden.

• Like 6

There may be drummers more technical, writers more prolific, lyrycists more expressive, intellectuals more cerebral, cosmopolitans more well-traveled and/or benefactors more liberal, however, there are none that I know of who embodied all of these simultaneously who had such a profound impact on so many. Neil was truly an extraordinarily brilliant man. It has been painful dealing with his passing, but I celebrate his life and the gifts he has given me. RIP Neil ...
  • Like 6

It wouldn't be right if I didn't stop by TRF to pay respects to Neil.

Gut wrenchingly surreal. Going to take a long time to truly process this loss.

To all my TRF buds struggling with this, we are one.

R.I.P. Neil.

• Like 11