Good songs from bad albums

Entre_Perpetuo

self explanatory I think:

1. Dreamline

Roll The Bones is a great album, and better than Hot Space.

I don't need this thread in my life haha!

Dreamline is great, but Bravado, Roll The Bones, Ghost Of A Chance, Heresy, Where's My Thing and arguably Face Up are all terrific songs.

Bravado is in the running for my favourite Rush song ever.

Sorry Segue, but it’s still sub-par at best to me.

• Like 1

self explanatory I think:

1. Dreamline

Roll The Bones is a great album, and better than Hot Space.

I don't need this thread in my life haha!

Dreamline is great, but Bravado, Roll The Bones, Ghost Of A Chance, Heresy, Where's My Thing and arguably Face Up are all terrific songs.

Bravado is in the running for my favourite Rush song ever.

Sorry Segue, but it’s still sub-par at best to me.

he can sell RTB to me till he's blue. it's shit, lol ok i like 3 songs.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Warped - One Hot Minute

A truly horrible album.

I’m hoping Todd In The Shadows does an episode on this album on Trainwreckords. He’s already done VH3, Mardi Gras, and Cyberpunk. OHM is the sound of a band going through the motions just to stay relevant 4 years after their last album.

U2 - Gone

David Bowie - Glass Spider

I’ve only heard Scream by Chris Cornell a few times and there’s maybe two or three songs in the latter half that aren’t sellout pop garbage.

Edited by invisible airwave

Warped - One Hot Minute

A truly horrible album.

I’m hoping Todd In The Shadows does an episode on this album on Trainwreckords. He’s already done VH3, Mardi Gras, and Cyberpunk. OHM is the sound of a band going through the motions just to stay relevant 4 years after their last album.

U2 - Gone

I’ve only heard Scream by Chris Cornell a few times and there’s maybe two or three songs in the latter half that aren’t sellout pop garbage.

It doesn't meet his criteria though, because after that album, RHCP got Frusciante back and did Californication, By The Way, and Stadium Arcadium.

Warped - One Hot Minute

A truly horrible album.

U2 - Gone

It doesn't meet his criteria though, because after that album, RHCP got Frusciante back and did Californication, By The Way, and Stadium Arcadium.

He did American Life by Madonna recently and that was not necessarily the end of commercial and critical success.

Then again, he had to pick one album from her because he has his own segment on her movies, Cinemadonna.

There's a lot of mostly obscure LPs that managed to squeeze out a good track or two but from big acts that should have done better these are the first three that come to mind:

Since You're Gone -- Shake it Up (maybe the album is better than I remember but I just remember being really disappointed apart from Since You're Gone, which I love)

Already been said but Under Pressure -- Hot Space (again, haven't listened in a long time but from what I remember it was awful apart from Under Pressure and the R. Taylor track Calling All Girls, which is not great but I liked it)

Are You Experienced? -- Shout (I loved and still love Devo's Hendrix cover though I found the rest of the album totally forgettable, despite liking Devo)

Edited by Rutlefan

None, and not any of Rush's c.ds, and albums do, and have belong on a list of bad compact disks, and albums like their "Presto", "Roll the Bones", "Vapor Trails (Remixed)", and "Snakes & Arrows". Even their "A Farewell to Kings", hasn't been, and isn't overrated, and overhyped. Other c.ds, and albums from artists, bands, and groups that haven't released bad music are: "Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason", "Boston - Third Stage", "Dire Straits - On Every Street", "ZZ Top - Recycler", "the Cars - Shake It Up", "David Bowie - Never Let Me Down", "Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch", "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)", "Heart - Passionworks", and "Fleetwood Mac - Behind the Mask". Edited by Derek19

Xanadu-A Farewell to King's

I've said it a million times and i'll say it a million more. i think AFTK is way over hyped.

Mick

word.

You, me and Rick.

And me. It`s totally unworthy of 70s Rush.
  • Like 1

How the hell is A momentary lapse of Reason A Bad Album???????

It lacks Roger Waters' unifying vision and lyrical ability.

Despite that, On The Turning Away and Sorrow (along with learning To Fly) are also very good songs

Edited by driventotheedge

There's a lot of mostly obscure LPs that managed to squeeze out a good track or two but from big acts that should have done better these are the first three that come to mind:

Since You're Gone -- Shake it Up (maybe the album is better than I remember but I just remember being really disappointed apart from Since You're Gone, which I love)

Already been said but Under Pressure -- Hot Space (again, haven't listened in a long time but from what I remember it was awful apart from Under Pressure and the R. Taylor track Calling All Girls, which is not great but I liked it)

Are You Experienced? -- Shout (I loved and still love Devo's Hendrix cover though I found the rest of the album totally forgettable, despite liking Devo)

I love Shake it Up. You don't even like the title track and I'm Not the One? I just went through a Cars binge. Another band that really didn't release any complete stinkers IMO.

• Like 2

I've said it a million times and i'll say it a million more. i think AFTK is way over hyped.

Mick

word.

You, me and Rick.

The love for this one completely escapes me.

Rush fans not only realizing this album is a classic, but not even liking it, is mind boggling.
  • Like 3

WAKE UP PUPPET BOY!!!!

lol

• Like 1

I love Shake it Up. You don't even like the title track and I'm Not the One? I just went through a Cars binge. Another band that really didn't release any complete stinkers IMO.

I'll revisit it. I had high expectations at the time, hoping it would be a return to form after the disappointing (to me, at the time) Panorama, which I've since come to appreciate much more. Maybe I'll find Shake It Up is better with age also.

p.s. already found a track I love that I'd completely forgotten, Think It Over. Like This Could Be Love also; another B. Orr song. So I'm glad take back that what I wrote about Shake It Up.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Mick

word.

You, me and Rick.

Rush fans not only realizing this album is a classic, but not even liking it, is mind boggling.

AFTK, Madrigal and Cinderella Man are all mediocre songs. CttH is a decent song. Cygnus X-1 is a bad song. People here frequently place it at the very top of their discography. That is mind boggling. Especially considering how good their next 4 albums were.

Mick

word.

You, me and Rick.

AFTK, Madrigal and Cinderella Man are all mediocre songs. CttH is a decent song. Cygnus X-1 is a bad song. People here frequently place it at the very top of their discography. That is mind boggling. Especially considering how good their next 4 albums were.

Cygnus X-1: Book I is my favorite Rush song. Bite me.

• Like 1

Mick

word.

You, me and Rick.

Cygnus X-1: Book I is my favorite Rush song. Bite me.

Subject to the right to call witnesses in rebuttal, the government rests. ;)

• Like 1

AFTK is significantly better than anything they've released since MP.

Xanadu alone has more sublime moments than everything since 1984, easily.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 3

I'd put it behind Signals, Clockwork Angels and maybe even Snakes. Xanadu is it's lone truly great track.

The title cut and Cygnus are stone cold classic Rush..just stop it!
  • Like 3

I'd put it behind Signals, Clockwork Angels and maybe even Snakes. Xanadu is it's lone truly great track.

The title cut and Cygnus are stone cold classic Rush..just stop it!

Cygnus is often atonal and unlistenable. The title track is fine. That's why Mick was spot on.