Best Rush album SIDE from the 70's and 80's

rushgoober

What was the best Rush album side in the 70's and 80's???  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best Rush album side in the 70's and 80's???

• Rush - side 1 (Finding My Way, Need Some Love, Take A Friend, Here Again)
    • Rush - side 2 (What You're Doing, In the Mood, Before and After, Working Man)
    • Fly By Night - side 1 (Anthem, Best I Can, Beneath, Between and Behind, By-Tor and the Snowdog)
    • Fly By Night - side 2 (Fly By Night, Making Memories, Rivendell, In the End)
    • Caress of Steel - side 1 (Bastille Day, I Think I'm Going Bald, Lakeside Park, The Necromancer)
    • Caress of Steel - side 2 - (The Fountain of Lamneth)
    • 2112 - side 1 (2112)
    • 2112 - side 2 (A Passage to Bangkok, The Twilight Zone, Lessons, Tears, Something for Nothing)
    • A Farwell to Kings - side 1 (A Farewell to Kings, Xanadu)
    • A Farewell to Kings - side 2 (Closer to the Heart, Cinderella Man, Madrigal, Cygnus X-1)
    • Hemispheres - side 1 (Hemispheres)
    • Hemispheres - side 2 (Circumstances, The Trees, La Villa Strangiato)
    • Permanent Waves - side 1 (The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder)
    • Permanent Waves - side 2 (Entre Nous, Different Strings, Natural Science)
    • Moving Pictures - side 1 (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ Limelight)
    • Moving Pictures - side 2 (The Camera Eye, Witch Hung, Vital Signs)
    • Signals - side 1 (Subdivions, The Analog Kid, Chemistry, Digital Man)
    • Signals - side 2 (The Weapon, New World Man, Losing It, Countdown)
    • Grace Under Pressure - side 1 (Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Red Sector A, The Enemy Within)
    • Grace Under Pressure - side 2 (The Body Electric, Kid Gloves, red lenses, Between the Wheels)
    • Power Windows - side 1 (The Big Money, Grand Designs, Manhattan Project, Marathon)
    • Power Windows - side 2 (Territories, Middletown Dreams, Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms)
    • Hold Your Fire - side 1 (Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Open Secrets, Second Nature, Prime Mover)
    • Hold Your Fire - side 2 (Lock and Key, Mission, Turn the Page, Tai Shan, High Water)
    • Presto - side 1 (Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, War Paint, Scars, Presto)
    • Presto - side 2 (Superconductor, Anagram (for Mongo), Red Tide, Hand Over Fist, Available Light

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose Side 2 of Hemispheres cuz I like it better than side 1 and it is my favorite album.

I almost went with side 1 or 2 from MP but side 1 is so overplayed and side 2 probably has my least fave track from MP (Vital Signs, still a great song).

Notables:

Side 1 from Fly By Night.....wow, doesnt get much better than that.

side 1 from CoS.....I think the last time I actually heard that from start to finish was on vinyl about 30+ years ago. Great stuff. These days I usually listen to that album starting with the epic tracks first.

Side 1 of Farewell To Kings.....another great side.

2112 side 1....nuf said.

Signals side 1 is pretty cool as well.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2010, 07:12 PM)
This is why I can't vote for side 1 of 2112:

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate, and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently, like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see its light
Let them all make their own music
The Priests praise my name on this night

"Discovery" is a super weak link, in my book. I cannot get past these lyrics! Yuck.

one man's lame is another's classic track....

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 21 2010, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2010, 07:12 PM)
This is why I can't vote for side 1 of 2112:

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate, and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently, like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see its light
Let them all make their own music
The Priests praise my name on this night

"Discovery" is a super weak link, in my book.  I cannot get past these lyrics!  Yuck.

one man's lame is another's classic track....

Yeah, I know! I guess that's why Bon Jovi is so popular. You can like something that's lame. That's fine. It's still lame, though. unsure.gif tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

i went with Moving Pictures side......2

for me, its between side 1 and 2 of MP. side 1 is probably the best, but for some reason, i really love side 2. Camera Eye is what got me really hooked on Rush. Something about that song just reminds me of why i love this band. I will never forget the first time i listened to Moving Pictures. I had heard most of the songs on side one before except for Red Barchetta(almost picked side 1 just for this song). But as soon as I flipped the vinyl over and put the needle down and heard those synthesizers building and buildling, I was hooked for life. Witch Hunt and Vital Signs I feel the same way. All of those songs give me goosebumps. Not that side 1 doesnt, but i suppose my choosing of side 2 is for sentimental reasons laugh.gif

From someone that knows absolutely every note from every Rush song like the back of my hand, it pains me to be so obvious and cliche'...but:

It's side 1 of Moving Pictures for me too! As others have mentioned it's just perfection AND it has my 2 favorites Rush songs ever in Red Barchetta and Limelight (and YYZ and Tom Sawyer arent too shabby either ) laugh.gif

Honorable mention to Hemispheres Side 1, which is progressive perfection and a very close 2nd in my book!

At the risk of taking an unpopular opinion wink.gif I have to go with side one of Moving Pictures, Its just so incredibly strong. In fact one could argue that all four of those songs are in the bands all time top ten.

A very close second for me would be side 1 of 2112. It sounds as fresh to me today as it did the first time I heard when I was 15. In my opinion out of all of the Epic 2.gif songs 2112 feels the best. A perfect arrangement.

Side One of Hemispheres has some of my favorite Heavy Prog, but Side two of GUP and Side one of Moving Pictures are total classics

I'm going with Side one of Hemispheres. soooo goood.

Edited by Ted Barchetta

Side 1 of 2112. I don't know what it is, but everytime I hear "Presentation" I get huge goosebumps. The back and fourth is amazing. It's like they put two completly different songs together, but it flows perfectly. Especially the priest line: "YES WE KNOW, IT'S NOTHING NEW..."

I would have to go with 2112 side one. The first time I heard it was in '82 when I was 11. To quote Kirk from Metallica-" It took me on a journey,instantly". I had this whole futuristic world imagined in my mind.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jul 24 2010, 08:20 AM)
Totally biased here, as Signals is my favorite album -- side 1

Signals is my favorite album overall, but I still have to give it up for the absolute perfection of MP side 1 - best album side in the history of music.