Game of Thrones Season 8! (Spoilers obviously)

Bigbobby10

Worst military tactics ever LOL.

Let’s send the all the calvary into the darkness to fight by themselves.

Oh and make sure to fire the catapults as soon as they get to the enemy so we can kill as many of our own guys.

Episode was a mess, but it was still enjoyable.

I was a little rough on you earlier in this thread, but I agree with you here. They wasted an entire army of highly skilled Dothraki on a suicide mission. They got steamrolled, and they barely made a dent in the army of the dead. Why not have the dragons providing air support, at least? Or start out with just the dragons? I know they wanted to save them for trying to kill the Night King but think of the damage they could have done before sending in any ground forces.

And what kind of special catapults did they use? I'm watching those fireballs travel for what seemed like miles over the charging armies heads and I'm thinking, no way.

• Like 1

Oh and make sure to fire the catapults as soon as they get to the enemy so we can kill as many of our own guys.

I was a little rough on you earlier in this thread, but I agree with you here. They wasted an entire army of highly skilled Dothraki on a suicide mission. They got steamrolled, and they barely made a dent in the army of the dead. Why not have the dragons providing air support, at least? Or start out with just the dragons? I know they wanted to save them for trying to kill the Night King but think of the damage they could have done before sending in any ground forces.

And what kind of special catapults did they use? I'm watching those fireballs travel for what seemed like miles over the charging armies heads and I'm thinking, no way.

Check this out:

https://www.slashfilm.com/battle-of-winterfell-strategy/

LOL

• Like 1

From the above articles comments:

Arya is in the library, and the wights can apparently hear her blood dripping on the floor. This is an established rule, they can hear it, they react to it.

The next scene you have Arya sneaked past 1000s of wights, dozens of White Walker commanders, without anyone noticing, and teleport jumps 6 feet in the air, to assassinate the Night King.

This not only breaks the rule that has been established literally 5 minutes before, but it also breaks the rules of reality, which apply in the world of GoT as well to an extent, like, you know, physics and gravity, and stuff. Poor storytelling for the sake of shock value.

From the above articles comments:

Arya is in the library, and the wights can apparently hear her blood dripping on the floor. This is an established rule, they can hear it, they react to it.

The next scene you have Arya sneaked past 1000s of wights, dozens of White Walker commanders, without anyone noticing, and teleport jumps 6 feet in the air, to assassinate the Night King.

This not only breaks the rule that has been established literally 5 minutes before, but it also breaks the rules of reality, which apply in the world of GoT as well to an extent, like, you know, physics and gravity, and stuff. Poor storytelling for the sake of shock value.

This implies that Bran did nothing, although we know that Bran had the Night King's complete attention. It certainly was poorly demonstrated, but I do believe that Bran was singularly responsible for the ease of Arya's journey.

And I agree, with established ruled laid out, it is important to the story telling to show the viewer why a rule is circumvented. My opinion on what is likely is just that- the show never said this and I shouldn't be responsible for guessing- the story should reveal this to us.

• Like 1

The catapult assault seemed like a horrific idea, timed to hit just when the blows could do the most damage to both sides. That's an error on the direction.

We don't know how much damage the Dothraki did, since they showed nothing of the fight. They may have inflicted heavy damage prior to dying out. Regardless, it was a stupid tactic. Every viewer knew this, the creators were so married to watching the flames snuff out that they allowed something every viewer would hate. That was bad. But based on the rest of the battle I'm sure the Dothraki took out more then they lost.

Maybe the horses broke in terror? That would have made sense. These may be war horses, but they have no experience fighting the dead.

I'm glad that this assault was universally loathed. Daenerys should have had more care for the Dothraki then to let them get slaughtered so needlessly. And Jorah should have known better anyway.

The catapult assault seemed like a horrific idea, timed to hit just when the blows could do the most damage to both sides. That's an error on the direction.

We don't know how much damage the Dothraki did, since they showed nothing of the fight. They may have inflicted heavy damage prior to dying out. Regardless, it was a stupid tactic. Every viewer knew this, the creators were so married to watching the flames snuff out that they allowed something every viewer would hate. That was bad. But based on the rest of the battle I'm sure the Dothraki took out more then they lost.

Maybe the horses broke in terror? That would have made sense. These may be war horses, but they have no experience fighting the dead.

I'm glad that this assault was universally loathed. Daenerys should have had more care for the Dothraki then to let them get slaughtered so needlessly. And Jorah should have known better anyway.

It's like the show needed a way to get rid of the Dothraki army so as to make Dany's armies look weak and depleted for the showdown with Cersei, making Cersei feel confident that she'll win any war, and thus setting up the drama in the last few episodes.

• Like 1

It's like the show needed a way to get rid of the Dothraki army so as to make Dany's armies look weak and depleted for the showdown with Cersei, making Cersei feel confident that she'll win any war, and thus setting up the drama in the last few episodes.

Sadly the episode was a failure. The action was dark and hard to follow, especially the dragon scenes. And some of the narrative choices were lame.

Maybe this was all part of Jon Snow's cunning plan to wipe out Dany's army before she can try and swipe the Iron Throne!

• Like 1

I'm really starting to become obsessed with this series. I've started reading the books and buying action figures and posters. GoT is to me what Harry Potter is to some other people. I never really got into Potter because it's a children's series and my church is against magic of any kind. Whenever I watched a HP film or read one of the books, terrible things always seemed to happen to me. That kind of magic brought bad luck. It was like God was punishing me or something.

I watched my first ten minutes of Game of Thrones last night - the last ten minutes of the episode.

Of course, this now qualifies me to speak at length on the TV series. ;) ;)

• Like 3

The show is a mess - really strong performances holding it all together.

Logic has been thrown out the window (cue Jamie/Bran meme). What the f**k is even going on?

Dany doesn’t see a fleet of slow moving boats as she flies? Why not attack them from the rear? Man she is a shitty general.

Everyone gets washed up on shore - bad guys just disappear. But they capture Missandei somehow.

And if you’re still not convinced the show is currently a mess:

https://slate.com/cu...winterfell.html

Edited by chemistry1973

The show has been a mess, in my opinion, since last season.

Everything is rushed, largely I assume because the writers don't believe they can write those 'in between' moments well.

Nevertheless the acting is always strong and the overall events might well correspond to what Martin plans. Execution is sloppy, but it's not a bad show now. GoT was just once so very very good that the slip is glaring. If it had started at this quality, I'd still watch it. But when it was smart is was so very very smart.

• Like 2

I'm really starting to become obsessed with this series. I've started reading the books and buying action figures and posters. GoT is to me what Harry Potter is to some other people. I never really got into Potter because it's a children's series and my church is against magic of any kind. Whenever I watched a HP film or read one of the books, terrible things always seemed to happen to me. That kind of magic brought bad luck. It was like God was punishing me or something.

I'm sorry if you ran into a stretch of bad luck, truly, but Harry Potter isn't black magic or Satanic, it's just a well written series of books. And sometimes bad things happen but it's not because God is punishing you, he doesn't operate that way; bad stuff just sometimes happens anyway. A supportive church, IMO, will help you through those bad times and reassure you of love rather than being judgmental about what you may or may not have done in the past. Anyway, I hope you are enjoying Game of Thrones and are into better luck these days.

• Like 1

This makes no sense.

• Like 1

I belonged to a religion that made me think the same. It's bullshit by the way.

• Like 1

Has anyone discussed the Starbucks coffee cup yet?? :P
  • Like 1

This makes no sense.

Sadly it does to me. Wasted nearly a decade belonging to Jehovah's Witnesses.

Harry Potter is bad, but no one had an issue with the violence and "miracles" in the Bible, and most watched movies with magic anyway. Meh...it's all pick and choose and rife with hypocrisy. It's impossible to see it any other way though, when you're on the inside.

• Like 2

This makes no sense.

Sadly it does to me. Wasted nearly a decade belonging to Jehovah's Witnesses.

Harry Potter is bad, but no one had an issue with the violence and "miracles" in the Bible, and most watched movies with magic anyway. Meh...it's all pick and choose and rife with hypocrisy. It's impossible to see it any other way though, when you're on the inside.

And, here we go...

Or, hopefully not.

And, here we go...

Or, hopefully not.

Oh no definitely not, I just hope she can see that what she chooses to watch or listen too or read is her own personal decision.

• Like 1

And, here we go...

Or, hopefully not.

Oh no definitely not, I just hope she can see that what she chooses to watch or listen too or read is her own personal decision.

Agree with that. I'm just hoping a big back and forth about religion doesn't sprout out of this.

• Like 1

And, here we go...

Or, hopefully not.

Agree with that. I'm just hoping a big back and forth about religion doesn't sprout out of this.

I'm trying a little to stay on topic, lol. I didn't put up that photo of the coffee cup in the great hall! :LOL:

I still might have to ask how the scorpions could bring Rhaegal down so easily when injuring the dragons has been so difficult in the past.

Edited by blueschica