Game of Thrones Season 8! (Spoilers obviously)

Bigbobby10

I'm really starting to become obsessed with this series. I've started reading the books and buying action figures and posters. GoT is to me what Harry Potter is to some other people. I never really got into Potter because it's a children's series and my church is against magic of any kind. Whenever I watched a HP film or read one of the books, terrible things always seemed to happen to me. That kind of magic brought bad luck. It was like God was punishing me or something.

I belonged to a religion that made me think the same. It's bullshit by the way.

And, here we go...

Or, hopefully not.

Oh no definitely not, I just hope she can see that what she chooses to watch or listen too or read is her own personal decision.

Agree with that. I'm just hoping a big back and forth about religion doesn't sprout out of this.

I'm trying a little to stay on topic, lol. I didn't put up that photo of the coffee cup in the great hall! :LOL:

I still might have to ask how the scorpions could bring Rhaegal down so easily when injuring the dragons has been so difficult in the past.

Qyburn demonstrated that the Scorpion could easily bring down a dragon either last season or the one before, after working on the task for Cersei.

He took her down to where the old dragon skulls were and test fired one to prove the Scorpion could do the trick.

It was already canon that they could do this.

It was far odder that they managed to hit the dragon so quickly without the dragon having a chance to run or dodge. If they could see the dragon, one must think they saw the ships.

That's the only real plot hole.

I'm really starting to become obsessed with this series. I've started reading the books and buying action figures and posters. GoT is to me what Harry Potter is to some other people. I never really got into Potter because it's a children's series and my church is against magic of any kind. Whenever I watched a HP film or read one of the books, terrible things always seemed to happen to me. That kind of magic brought bad luck. It was like God was punishing me or something.

Maybe I am misreading since people seem to think you still are against Potter-

Your point was that you were told HP was evil, and for whatever reason bad things happened when you read it. The fact that you listen to Rush and watch Game of Thrones tells me you no longer believe that HP is in any way bad- and that you were merely making the point that Fantasy has really grabbed you now and that this is particularly interesting because at one time you associated it with evil.

I'm pretty sure you no longer believe this and people are misinterpreting what you are saying.

Or I am.

But since GoT is full of magic, including necromancy on a large scale, the only way your post makes sense is that you fully understand that HP had nothing to do with any problems.

Tough times happen to us all and they always suck- I wish you all the best when those times happen and I'm glad the respite that fiction provides works so well for you. World building like what you see in GoT, LotR, WoT, or any other epic fantasy has been a huge part of my life. Creating nations, climates, cultures, demographic statistics, economies, etc. of Fantastic worlds was my refuge during my young adulthood. I think if we were created (I'm an atheist, but hypothetically) than our imaginations are part of that construct, to be used as a tool. Art of all kinds is integral to humanity, and Fantasy is art. If anything, it's something I'd think a God would approve of.

Authoritarian humans, however, frown upon imagination. It so often leads to independent thought.

Qyburn demonstrated that the Scorpion could easily bring down a dragon either last season or the one before, after working on the task for Cersei.

He took her down to where the old dragon skulls were and test fired one to prove the Scorpion could do the trick.

It was already canon that they could do this.

It was far odder that they managed to hit the dragon so quickly without the dragon having a chance to run or dodge. If they could see the dragon, one must think they saw the ships.

That's the only real plot hole.

I remember that from season 7 but I was just surprised that the arrows could pierce the dragon's skin on the chest so easily since I wasn't really thinking of that as a vulnerable spot. I guess I was thinking of last season when Dany attacked the Lannister forces and Bronn used a scorpion to shoot Drogon in kind of a more vulnerable spot where the wing is attached and he was ok. But I know they are trying to wrap everything up in six episodes so I shouldn't look at details maybe. :LOL:

I belonged to a religion that made me think the same. It's bullshit by the way.

And, here we go...

Or, hopefully not.

Oh no definitely not, I just hope she can see that what she chooses to watch or listen too or read is her own personal decision.

Agree with that. I'm just hoping a big back and forth about religion doesn't sprout out of this.

I'm trying a little to stay on topic, lol. I didn't put up that photo of the coffee cup in the great hall! :LOL:

I still might have to ask how the scorpions could bring Rhaegal down so easily when injuring the dragons has been so difficult in the past.

Those scorpions looked bigger than the one Bronn used last season, but I could be wrong. They seemed more powerful, with a longer range.

• Like 2

But this person listens to Rush - also not allowed by JW.

Lol that's what I used to be. Anyway...Rush were ok, it was harder to condone the likes of Iron Maiden or Slayer.

On topic now, did anyone else think that this latest was a great episode and fans are ruining it by making such a big deal out of little errors that occur at some point on every show?

Lol that's what I used to be. Anyway...Rush were ok, it was harder to condone the likes of Iron Maiden or Slayer.

On topic now, did anyone else think that this latest was a great episode and fans are ruining it by making such a big deal out of little errors that occur at some point on every show?

I think the very real decline in overall writing had people unfairly attacking errors that could happen any season. The arc of the episode was great and the surprise was great. The conveniences of writing used to be better, though. Like not seeing the enemy ships, or not having survivors chased and picked off. Those things used to be explained better, and that matters.

But the show is still very good, so I think it's a bit of both.

Edited by Mosher

I think the very real decline I overall writing had people unfairly attacking errors that could happen any season. The arc of the episode was great and the surprise was great. The conveniences of writing used to be better, though. Like not seeing the enemy ships, or not having survivors chased and picked off. Those things used to be explained better, and that matters.

But the show is still very good, so I think it's a but of both.

I agree. But we've had three seasons of rushed pacing issues now, it's not as perfect as it once was but with the author not willing to conclude his series, I think the board of writers have done amazingly well.

• Like 1

I think the very real decline I overall writing had people unfairly attacking errors that could happen any season. The arc of the episode was great and the surprise was great. The conveniences of writing used to be better, though. Like not seeing the enemy ships, or not having survivors chased and picked off. Those things used to be explained better, and that matters.

But the show is still very good, so I think it's a but of both.

I agree. But we've had three seasons of rushed pacing issues now, it's not as perfect as it once was but with the author not willing to conclude his series, I think the board of writers have done amazingly well.

I agree, it's not like they don't know what they're doing. It's still a great show, and I can imagine the ways those holes could be filled readily enough.

The most irritating thing about the poorly written moments is that they are all the product of a shortened season. They could have written a way to explain everything, but just skipped that part time and again to move the story along.
  • Like 3

Where I live there have been several murders in recent years that involved a crossbow, which is an archaic weapon. I keep wondering if it's because of GoT. They could've just used a gun., right?

Where I live there have been several murders in recent years that involved a crossbow, which is an archaic weapon. I keep wondering if it's because of GoT. They could've just used a gun., right?

Crossbows aren't archaic. There are very modern crossbows that are used for hunting in some purposes.

Also, they fire silently; which is the biggest reason I can think that someone would use one.

• Like 1

That was a stunning episode
  • Like 1

I've seen this happening with Daenerys for years, she's been inching towards that brink where she becomes the tyrant she hates for a very long time. Nevertheless, this wasn't handled well. Her biggest enemy is in the Red Keep, so not going directly there was poor writing. Attacking indiscriminately, however, I expected. And frankly I applaud. It's right for the arc of so many characters.

I was nevertheless hoping she'd be stopped, because it was also heart breaking.

I hated Jamie's end. I think it ruined everything I loved about his character development. I was certain he was going to kill Cersei. I was wrong, but my ending is better for the show I think. Dying in each other's arms is no lesson. Cersei doesn't gain any realization that she killed her family, and Jamie never separates himself from her. I hated it.

I was fine with Clegane's end, but I would rather that he found the fight pointless. I'd rather that his brother was gone and that no seed remained. I did not like that Gregor suddenly was Interested in Sandor after being a mindless zombie. For one, I like the story better that Sandor hates Gregor, but that Gregor doesn't care about Sandor at all.

Both the Lannister's and Clegane's endings felt forced and fan driven.

I enjoyed Jon and Arya realizing that they were the bad guys, but Jon's handle on his troops was terrible.

Did not like Grey Worm being pro slaughter, but he's seen Daenerys want to slaughter dozens of times. No one talked her out of it this time.

I would have liked the episode more if the majority of Daenerys troops had stared in shock and disgust. Because we know Daenerys has been reeled in many times, but most of the troops have seen a continuing mission of liberation. They should have been appalled or at least shocked at this turn rather than joining in.

All in all, a believable event, but without the necessary build up.

These last two seasons are far too rushed.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 2

I tweeted an expert from Outdoor Life magazine. He said that crossbows are considered obsolete except for a small minority of hunters who still use them.

No particular interest in weapons of any kind. And i don't hunt, but they sell cross bows all over and they aren't uncommon

That was a stunning episode

Agreed - mostly well done.

And she attacked those ships from behind! Good job crazy-Dany!

You can tell they spent much of this season’s budget on this one. VFX were primo.

But man- what a disturbing episode. But this is what we want from GOT. Brutal realism with some fantasy.

Dragons breathe f***ing fire for crying out loud. It’s terrifying.

Conquerors are murderers by definition. My wife and I were discussing that aside from the dragon, this type of shit has happened thousands of times over the course of history. Was it Damascus that Genghis Khan laid waste to, and killed all the inhabitants by dismembering and burning them?

I also enjoyed seeing some depth, and pain, in Dany’s character. She’s disillusioned and hurt. Like a cute blonde Hitler. No love? Fine. How about fear?

I found this episode poignant - it’s easy to be so kind and messiah like when you’ve got power - like Dany did, freeing those slaves earlier in the series - but when power is just out of your grasp? And you had it before? Holy shit, watch out for those people.

Edited by chemistry1973

I didn't like what they did with Jaime either. Waste of a redemption arc. Cersei's death was unsatisfying too. I really wanted one of the Starks, Jaime, or Tyrion to get that B.

Loved the Clegane fight though. That nerd Qyburn's death was one of the best in the series.

I think the writers found out that Jamie had a chance of redemption. Since the show is partly about how redemption is impossible without death, they had to give Jamie some bullshit motivation to go back to Kings Landing. Edited by chemistry1973

I tweeted an expert from Outdoor Life magazine. He said that crossbows are considered obsolete except for a small minority of hunters who still use them.

That's just not true. Crossbow hunting is in a renaissance, and Realtree estimates that around 5.5 million hunters in the US use crossbows every year. Hell, in Wisconsin, crossbow deer kills have surpassed vertical bow kills.

Especially considering their much easier operation for physically disabled and aging archers; crossbow hunting is popular, and is only growing in popularity.

Edited by KenJennings

Game and Fish Magazine:

Indeed, interest in hunting with crossbows seems to be higher now than ever.

According to a nationwide survey conducted by the Archery Trade Association, some 18.2 million Americans participated in archery or bowhunting. Of that number 5.5 million, or 29 percent, used crossbows, according to the data released four years ago.

In another survey, crossbow products were 30 percent of all bow products in 2012. By 2014, that number was 38 percent.

As more states offer full inclusion down the road and hunters age and young hunters discover crossbows and enter the game, these numbers are bound to increase.

Blame Daryl.

Yep, if anything has contributed to the rise in popularity of the crossbow it's Daryl's prominent use of it on Walking Dead.

As for this week's episode of GOT, I did very much enjoy it. About damn time we finally saw a dragon completely destroy everything. I may have given Cersei a different kind of death though. Seems like she should have gotten something more brutal.

Man, has John Snow become absolutely useless in the final stages of this thing or what?

• Like 2

Blame Daryl.

Yep, if anything has contributed to the rise in popularity of the crossbow it's Daryl's prominent use of it on Walking Dead.

As for this week's episode of GOT, I did very much enjoy it. About damn time we finally saw a dragon completely destroy everything. I may have given Cersei a different kind of death though. Seems like she should have gotten something more brutal.

Man, has John Snow become absolutely useless in the final stages of this thing or what?

It's another theme in the series I think - that passivity leads to disaster. Probably a little bit of a 'Hamlet' influence...

Ol' Jon just wants to brood ineffectually. So emo.

See - Jon's bro at the Red Wedding. Sansa's marriage to Joffrey. Even Little Finger's attempt to play both sides ultimately got his jugular slashed.

Blame Daryl.

It's just my opinion but I think part of it is that they decided to give more screen time to the better actor- Arya. Kit Harington is kind of challenged as an actor, IMO.