• Classical
    • New Wave
    • Jazz
    • Celtic
    • New Age
    • Disco
    • Reggae
    • Techno

None of the available choices are narrowed enough for me to decide. Every single possibility features music I love, and music I hate.

Some I am more into than others, of course, but there's something I like a lot in every category.

I'll have to fake vote and then delete to see what the results have been so far, because I am curious.

edit: Not surprising. The traditionally disparaged genres of hip hop and country are way in the lead. I thought disco and pop would be up there with them, though. They get beat up as much.

I will say that I generally dislike pop the most, if I have to choose, but that's only because I really hate pop radio stations that play the same songs 50 times an hour. But that's a reflection on commercial radio, not pop. (Although the songs they tend to push seem to often be the most vacant of content. Some pop is quite good. Same goes for country radio. Somehow manages to air the worst, most vacant work. So much out there is great. Actually- same for hip hop. I think what I hate is commercial music. I want to add a category- Corporate Music)

Corporate Music

What is corporate music? Who are some artists in that genre?

I don't have a better word for it.

I'm talking about music that is contracted by music companies to prop up an artist. Music that is pre-approved and designed to elicit the greatest returns.

Sometimes it's even pretty good, but if I had to pick something that's what I'd choose.

Basically music where the artist is just a conduit for something a group of executives put together.

I couldn't really pick a 'worst genre' so I picked what I feel is the worst methodology.

I'm not sure that the "sounds of salesmen" is a genre.

• Like 1

Well, the most obvious example that is the Monkees. How in the beginning they were generally not allowed to be part of the process at all (except for the occasional effort by Nesmith and a little bit of Tork).

Nesmith was a very good writer and thankfully the company did begin to let them do more and more.

I love the Monkees, but nevertheless I dislike that process.

Where the company tries to force an artist into performing particular songs that are picked for them rather than by them. When the company decides what kind of music can be performed and such.

Common obviously in pop, to varying degrees depending on the artist and whether the company thinks they can sell the artist's work.

Since the writers hired sometimes kick out good songs sometimes the music is good.

I have noticed I generally prefer pop where the artist has more control.

For instance, I like Lorde's music far more than the Back Street Boys.

This is different than hating artists that don't write their own music. I don't care about that. A good singer is a good singer. It's strictly those occasions where the company doesn't 'allow' or refuses to promote music if the artist deigns to participate in the process.

None of the available choices are narrowed enough for me to decide. Every single possibility features music I love, and music I hate.

Some I am more into than others, of course, but there's something I like a lot in every category.

I'll have to fake vote and then delete to see what the results have been so far, because I am curious.

edit: Not surprising. The traditionally disparaged genres of hip hop and country are way in the lead. I thought disco and pop would be up there with them, though. They get beat up as much.

I will say that I generally dislike pop the most, if I have to choose, but that's only because I really hate pop radio stations that play the same songs 50 times an hour. But that's a reflection on commercial radio, not pop. (Although the songs they tend to push seem to often be the most vacant of content. Some pop is quite good. Same goes for country radio. Somehow manages to air the worst, most vacant work. So much out there is great. Actually- same for hip hop. I think what I hate is commercial music. I want to add a category- Corporate Music)

Corporate Music

What is corporate music? Who are some artists in that genre?

I don't have a better word for it.

I'm talking about music that is contracted by music companies to prop up an artist. Music that is pre-approved and designed to elicit the greatest returns.

Sometimes it's even pretty good, but if I had to pick something that's what I'd choose.

Basically music where the artist is just a conduit for something a group of executives put together.

I couldn't really pick a 'worst genre' so I picked what I feel is the worst methodology.

I'm not sure that the "sounds of salesmen" is a genre.

It isn't,

I did say I was selecting a least favorite methodology rather than genre.

I'd say pop (country or rock variety) except that's unfair to the excellent pop musicians out there, when it's commercial pop radio that I tend to dislike.

Edited by Mosher

Hip hop/rap (Rap Rock is good), country,disco,classical,techno,jazz,blues,celtic,and reggae,gospel,new age, and blues.

What are you voting for then?

Rap

Well what's the rest of your post about then?

I hate those other genres too.

You must really hate blues you've put it twice!

• Like 3

In metal: black and death metal(because of topics), nu metal, metalcore

In rock: emo, indie rock, hair metal(the majority of it)

in general music: dance, electropop, modern hip-hop, indie pop, house, EDM.

Nu Metal, Metalcore, Emo, and Hair Metal have given us some good artists. For Nu Metal, there's Linkin Park and System of a Down. Metalcore has A Day To Remember, Emo has Saves the Day, and Hair Metal has Motley Crue, Ratt, Warrant, and Poison.
  • Like 1

Hip hop/rap (Rap Rock is good), country,disco,classical,techno,jazz,blues,celtic,and reggae,gospel,new age, and blues.

What are you voting for then?

Rap

Well what's the rest of your post about then?

I hate those other genres too.

You must really hate blues you've put it twice!

Oooooops. Sorry, did not mean to.

My vote goes to Hip Hop/Rap. Hate that stuff, not real music in my opinion.

But those that vote for blues, you do not realize that rock comes from blues music. And rock would not have been the way it is today if it was not for the blues music.

• Like 1

My vote goes to Hip Hop/Rap. Hate that stuff, not real music in my opinion.

But those that vote for blues, you do not realize that rock comes from blues music. And rock would not have been the way it is today if it was not for the blues music.

Blues doesn't have any votes so far. I think most people are aware of it's importance in music. Without it, we've pretty much got nothing.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any genre I hate outright. I like something from most genres mentioned.

This.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any genre I hate outright. I like something from most genres mentioned.

This.

Take country, George strait and Vince gill have made some very good music and I've always liked Martina mcbride just to name a few. I do agree that it has become a bit too predictable these days though.

• Like 1

This.

Take country, George strait and Vince gill have made some very good music and I've always liked Martina mcbride just to name a few. I do agree that it has become a bit too predictable these days though.

Over the past 70 years or so, country has produced some of the most sincere and inspiring artists, and from them we've had an uncountable amount of great performers come from their inspiration ..

And that is what makes the contrived crop of newer country artists so difficult to tolerate - they are taking a style that is so rooted in honesty and turning into something quite the opposite