Post unpopular music opinions

Entre_Perpetuo

Green Day is awesome BTW. American Idiot being probably in my top 10 albums of the 2000's.

so blow me, lol

Mick

Ah. The album where the hacks preach to the choir and attempt the be politically relevant and insightful.

As for the other point, I will pass. ;-)

yup. brilliant album.

Mick

Amen.

• Like 1

Green Day is awesome BTW. American Idiot being probably in my top 10 albums of the 2000's.

so blow me, lol

Mick

Ah. The album where the hacks preach to the choir and attempt the be politically relevant and insightful.

yup. brilliant album.

Mick

Amen.

LOL

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

so blow me, lol

Mick

American Idiot is THE best album of the 2000's. It has more great hooks on any single song than most bands have in their entire careers.

The rolling Stones are a sub par blues/rock band. that people just adore cause.......society says so.

Mick

Seriously...agree

i never heard one song that made me personally go..........oh i see it these guys are great. like seriously......not one.

maybe when they came out grant you.....but now they just sound like your typical bar band to me.

Mick

If you don't think "Bitch" is a great song then just...man...

This thread is more entertaining than a lot of the acts mentioned

.. that said, prog fans are some of the most musically clueless people on the planet

I briefly browsed the prog archives forums a few days back, saw the elitism, and did not go back. Good resource for figuring out what some good prog is I’ve never heard of. Not a good resource for discussion.

• Like 1

so blow me, lol

Mick

American Idiot is THE best album of the 2000's. It has more great hooks on any single song than most bands have in their entire careers.

I doubt it. I don't think there has been one impulse of sincerity or originality in the music of Green Day. Anyway, I'm not attempting to persuade anyone to change their opinion. It just baffles me that such an unoriginal band is revered by anyone.

so blow me, lol

Mick

I doubt it. I don't think there has been one impulse of sincerity or originality in the music of Green Day. Anyway, I'm not attempting to persuade anyone to change their opinion. It just baffles me that such an unoriginal band is revered by anyone.

So American Idiot was unoriginal? If you think that, then I guess we have no more to discuss regarding Green Day.

The rolling Stones are a sub par blues/rock band. that people just adore cause.......society says so.

Mick

I don’t agree. From Beggars’ Banquet to Goats Head Soup they released some of the best rock and roll ever. It’s arguable that their discography from then on is not of the same quality (I’m a fan, so I enjoy those albums, but I can understand why someone who isn’t wouldn’t) but in that stretch they released a pretty stunning amount of music rightly regarded as indispensable.

so blow me, lol

Mick

So American Idiot was unoriginal? If you think that, then I guess we have no more to discuss regarding Green Day.

Extremely unoriginal. Explain otherwise.

Mick

I don’t agree. From Beggars’ Banquet to Goats Head Soup they released some of the best rock and roll ever. It’s arguable that their discography from then on is not of the same quality (I’m a fan, so I enjoy those albums, but I can understand why someone who isn’t wouldn’t) but in that stretch they released a pretty stunning amount of music rightly regarded as indispensable.

It was a brilliant run of albums. Keith Richards was inspired and innovative on every album.

so blow me, lol

Mick

But what makes a band original?

And name me ONE album that came out BEFORE Green Day hit the big time that sounds exactly like a Green Day album. That isn't a Green Day album.

Sorry but you listen to bands like Cheap Trick who personally to my ears sound like absolutely nothing special. There is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make them "hacks".

so blow me, lol

Mick

And name me ONE album that came out BEFORE Green Day hit the big time that sounds exactly like a Green Day album. That isn't a Green Day album.

Sorry but you listen to bands like Cheap Trick who personally to my ears sound like absolutely nothing special. There is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make them "hacks".

Green Day as lifted far too many riffs and melodies for me to consider them original. I hear nothing or see nothing that hasn't been done better. Poser rock. Hack songwriting. Again, enjoy it all you want.

As for Cheap Trick, I guess you had to be there. When they started they had somewhat of an outsider's image and attitude. They were heavy and melodic. They had Beatlesque sensibilities and a surprisingly hard edge. I guess the effect wore off over the decades. Power pop that Green Day mimicked from time to time.

• Like 1

so blow me, lol

Mick

Green Day as lifted far too many riffs and melodies for me to consider them original. I hear nothing or see nothing that hasn't been done better. Poser rock. Hack songwriting. Again, enjoy it all you want.

As for Cheap Trick, I guess you had to be there. When they started they had somewhat of an outsider's image and attitude. They were heavy and melodic. They had Beatlesque sensibilities and a surprisingly hard edge. I guess the effect wore off over the decades. Power pop that Green Day mimicked from time to time.

Well I was there when Green Day went massive. I remember the interviews where they said they embraced their roots and original influences. My Chemical Romance did the same thing two years later with The Black Parade. They brought classic influences too a new era, a new generation. And that helps the bands you revere to stay relevant and find a new audience.

Afraid I am too young too understand the hype around Cheap Trick. You are too damn old too get the power and vitality and inspiration that American Idiot impacted on an entire generation globally.

If I'm too young too understand one band I have no issues firing back with ageism.

• Like 1

so blow me, lol

Mick

Well I was there when Green Day went massive. I remember the interviews where they said they embraced their roots and original influences. My Chemical Romance did the same thing two years later with The Black Parade. They brought classic influences too a new era, a new generation. And that helps the bands you revere to stay relevant and find a new audience.

Afraid I am too young too understand the hype around Cheap Trick. You are too damn old too get the power and vitality and inspiration that American Idiot impacted on an entire generation globally.

If I'm too young too understand one band I have no issues firing back with ageism.

Oh, I get it. Believe me. Green Day just preached to the choir. Pretty safe politics when you think about it.

• Like 1

this thread went where one would epect, lol.

oh by the way........the who suck too.

Mick

Erm...no...I once thought this but...no...

They are hacks though because they don't take me to that special place Cheap Trick do.

• Like 1

Mick

They are hacks though because they don't take me to that special place Cheap Trick do.

oh yea that special variation on a theme thing.

and i love Cheap Trick but the albums are pretty interchangeable.

and i'm a fan, lol

Mick

Mick

Mock the criticism all you want.

Here's a snippet of what bothers me about Green Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHfA0NbIXz4

Google "Green Day rip offs" and you'll find more examples. For me there are too may coincidences or homages or whatever to convince me Green Day are the hackiest of hacks.

Again, I'm not trying to persuade or change minds. Enjoy it all you want.

Metallica are ok but they are far from the best thrash metal band ever. But they hit the major leagues with deserving music, even though great music was overshadowed.

Anthrax are terrible.

Slayer are fine. They have a really wonderful dark sound that...here it gets unpopular...grew old before the 80s finished.

Megadeth are the best of the big thrash metal bands.

But Kreator, Death Angel, Testament, Mekong Delta, Exodus, Sepultura, Voivod, Cynic...all these bands deserve to be mentioned in the same breath and even more highly revered.

Basically, The Big Four has become such a negative label. It is almost as if metal heads are too scared too look outside the accepted greats.

Because Anthrax don't deserve that spot.

What's your problem with Anthrax?

I do think Testament is held in the same regard as Megadeth and Anthrax these days. They just started too late to be considered for the big four. By the time Testament started gaining popularity, grunge exploded and that was it for them. If there's a big five of thrash, Testament is surely number five.

Anthrax doesn't deserve that spot? They rose up along with the other three and helped to reinvent and popularize a genre. I love Testament but they never wrote anything game changing like Anthrax did with Among The Living. Testament has great stuff but there isn't one album from The Legacy through Ritual that was a groundbreaking album for the genre. Testament is in the exact spot they should be in within the thrash metal genre. A well respected band with a great catalog but never wrote anything with much innovation. How many drummers have copied Charlie Benante's of Anthrax rapid double bass drum kick? Just about every metal drummer that came after him.

I really hate to sell Testament short like this since I do love them. But there are real reasons why they aren't seen in the same light as the big four.

Anthrax?

I just...I dunno I never heard anything until recently. Like five years ago...and by then I had heard a lot of really great thrash. I just...I don't hear anything special. I've heard good things about recent albums.

But I tried again recently and I really found them a chore. To me it's like they don't exist.

What Anthrax have you heard? Have you ever given Spreading The Disease, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time a listen before? Maybe better thrash has come after that but for the time Anthrax was certainly one of the elite bands of the genre.

I mentioned before how great and influential Charlie Benante was when it came to his use of the blast beat. But the rest of the band are also very special. Scott Ian is one of the best rhythm guitarists in metal. A truly unique playing style and unmistakable tone. The same for bassist Frank Bello. Has a tone all his own. Dan Spitz had a number of great solos during his time with the band. And of course, Joey Belladonna who may just be the best singer from a technical standpoint that thrash has ever had. His ability to come up with great melodic hooks is as good as anyone in metal.

But yeah, they don't deserve their spot in the big four lol.

• Like 2

Mick

Oh shit, you mean when I grew up listening to my dad's Stones records it was society making me a fan and not the actual material? This changes my whole life. It's like I've been living a lie for the last 35 years. What am I supposed to do now?

On the topic of Green Day. I get where Rerushed is coming from. They first got big back when I was in high school. Even though I wasn't a punk fan, all I heard when I listened to them was a punk band that sounded like any other punk band that has existed. I thought that about them throughout the rest of the 90s. I've grown rather indifferent to them over the years. But I don't think they're complete hacks either. Hacks wouldn't last as long they have and wouldn't have albums as massive as Dookie and American Idiot. A hack band might be able to pull that off once but they more than likely couldn't do it a second time.