From best to worst in the Hall of Fame

Xanadoood

Funny how he keeps mentioning Joy Division and New Order as acts that should be in because some other band is. Maybe I’d recognize either band’s work if I heard it, but without Google I can’t name a single song by either one.

I've never understood why Joy Division gets so much adulation. They released two albums. Bores me to tears.

I think that Unknown Pleasures is an amazing album. Closer not so much.

But I dont see how they got so much attention.

Listen to Joy Division, then listen to what came after them. They are a major influence and inspiration for Post Punk and New Wave.

• Like 1

Joy Division (along with several other bands) shook things up, unlike bands like Green Day and Bon Jovi who played within a set of rules. I understand why Green Day and Bon Jovi have tons of fans. People enjoy the music. But they didn't do anything that raised the bar or challenged the musical status quo. I guess that's the point. Anyway, after Joy Division (and several other post punk bands) things were different. That's rock and roll. Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Joy Division (along with several other bands) shook things up, unlike bands like Green Day and Bon Jovi who played within a set of rules. I understand why Green Day and Bon Jovi have tons of fans. People enjoy the music. But they did anything that raised the bar or challenged the musical status quo. I guess that's the point. Anyway, after Joy Division (and several other post punk bands) things were different. That's rock and roll.

Fair enough. But they are no Rush;)

Joy Division (along with several other bands) shook things up, unlike bands like Green Day and Bon Jovi who played within a set of rules. I understand why Green Day and Bon Jovi have tons of fans. People enjoy the music. But they didn't do anything that raised the bar or challenged the musical status quo. I guess that's the point. Anyway, after Joy Division (and several other post punk bands) things were different. That's rock and roll.

Fair enough. But they are no Rush;)

No, they are not.

Its sad to see Chicago so far down on the list also.

I can say their first 5 albums are some of the best Jazz Rock/ Fusion albums out there.

Terry Kath being one of the most underrated guitar players out there.

• Like 1

Joy Division (along with several other bands) shook things up, unlike bands like Green Day and Bon Jovi who played within a set of rules. I understand why Green Day and Bon Jovi have tons of fans. People enjoy the music. But they didn't do anything that raised the bar or challenged the musical status quo. I guess that's the point. Anyway, after Joy Division (and several other post punk bands) things were different. That's rock and roll.

How can you possibly say Bon Jovi didn't have raise the bar? Would there have been a Cinderella or a Britny Fox, for example, without BJ? And you want to talk about rulebreakers, BF's baby broke all of them.

How can you possibly say Bon Jovi didn't have raise the bar? Would there have been a Cinderella or a Britny Fox, for example, without BJ? And you want to talk about rulebreakers, BF's baby broke all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ZBKopvLI0

New York Dolls did it first and did it better.

Funny how he keeps mentioning Joy Division and New Order as acts that should be in because some other band is. Maybe I’d recognize either band’s work if I heard it, but without Google I can’t name a single song by either one.

I've never understood why Joy Division gets so much adulation. They released two albums. Bores me to tears.

Well, you see, Ian Curtis was such a depressed, tortured soul, it's amazing he could do anything but lie in bed and sob uncontrollably so they have to rate his band pretty high. Same with Cobain, except he put out a couple more albums before eating the shotgun.

There's just no telling how far they could have gone in the music biz. Maybe bigger than The Beatles or even Elvis.

Joy Division (along with several other bands) shook things up, unlike bands like Green Day and Bon Jovi who played within a set of rules. I understand why Green Day and Bon Jovi have tons of fans. People enjoy the music. But they didn't do anything that raised the bar or challenged the musical status quo.

That's exactly what people say about RUSH, ironically.
  • Like 2

Name one song NYD did that the average person would know.

Edited by fraroc

The same question is valid for Britny Fox.

Ok. Dolls still did it first.

Rush didn't reinvent the wheel either

Well, you see, Ian Curtis was such a depressed, tortured soul, it's amazing he could do anything but lie in bed and sob uncontrollably so they have to rate his band pretty high. Same with Cobain, except he put out a couple more albums before eating the shotgun.

There's just no telling how far they could have gone in the music biz. Maybe bigger than The Beatles or even Elvis.

One other difference is pretty much everyone knows who Cobain and Nirvana are.

• Like 1

It is always interesting when someone purports to offer a list free of their own personal bias- a list based on the relative impact of a band on the scene and general creativity and performance. The majority of the time these lists then proceed to explicitly ignore their own stated criteria for ranking.

Not liking Rush is subjective, and therefore a fine thing. No one cares, you can't argue that someone 'should'. But you can adhere to your stated criteria. To ignore all of the artists who outright claim to be heavily influenced by Rush is to either 1) willfully ignore your own stated criteria or 2) dismiss all of those artists as awful, too. And in case 2 you're actually working against your own stated criteria even more. You're not only ignoring the influence, you're deciding that since you're ignoring the influence it's okay because those other bands 'sucked'- or in other words explicitly working from your bias.

You don't have to like Rush to think they deserve to be there.

And that goes for the Sex Pistols as well. I'm a big punk fan and I rank an easy hundred bands better than the Pistols- and even so I'm putting them very high on the list because denying their influence is to willfully ignore the hundreds of artists who cite them as the only reason they even exist.

Conflict sells, so these lists are designed to get people either mad or nodding in smug agreement. The page gets a lot of hits, and the advertising rate is secured. Saying Queen is great leaves an audience unimpressed. We already knew that, and everyone says so. Saying Queen sucks, well now that increases the hit count.

Edited by Mosher

I should note that the Hall's choices never interest me at all. I have no reason to accept their decision over my own over what is 'good'. Now, if the artists themselves voted I'd be a bit more interested.

The only thing the Hall does for me is to have me shake my head at the Hall, and sometimes some very cool performances at the end of the show.

I genuinely can't read anything from them without cringing. There's a lot of bias in what I've read from them.

I agree, to a point. A lot of this is personal perspective. I remember back in the late 70s/early 80s that Rush was an incredible inspiration and influence. And the result was a generation of musicians who acknowledge it. A diverse group of musicians. I guess you can say that about Bon Jovi or Green Day, though I'm not so sure. Rush was, at worst, derivative, but not cookie cutter derivative.

• Like 1

The RRHOF has always been a joke. Why we continue to discuss who is in and who is not with any seriousness is beyond me. When RUSH got inducted I was so depressed that I went on a three day bender. I still haven't forgiven the boys for not giving Rolling Stone a collective middle finger.

The RRHOF has always been a joke. Why we continue to discuss who is in and who is not with any seriousness is beyond me. When RUSH got inducted I was so depressed that I went on a three day bender. I still haven't forgiven the boys for not giving Rolling Stone a collective middle finger.

A three day bender? :scared: Maybe you need to reorder your musical priorities? :hail:

The RRHOF is essentially just another list that ignites debate and discussion. Nothing definitive or final.

A three day bender? :scared: Maybe you need to reorder your musical priorities? :hail:

The RRHOF is essentially just another list that ignites debate and discussion. Nothing definitive or final.

its essentially a turd. Lets give it a flush.

I agree, to a point. A lot of this is personal perspective. I remember back in the late 70s/early 80s that Rush was an incredible inspiration and influence. And the result was a generation of musicians who acknowledge it. A diverse group of musicians. I guess you can say that about Bon Jovi or Green Day, though I'm not so sure. Rush was, at worst, derivative, but not cookie cutter derivative.

Yeah but bands like Green Day and Bon Jovi can hardly be written off considering how much their influence can be felt down to this day. Green Day in my honest opinion are extremely overrated but at the same time, they helped change the face of pop music forever, and the entire pop punk scene that bloomed over the last three decades is largely down to their impact.

As for Bon Jovi, that obsessive love I had for them burned out quite quickly.

I enjoy the songs for the cheese they offer but...yikes...what was I thinking? Fangirling over Bon Jovi is no different to the many guys who cringe at the memory of a mullet they thought they rocked back in the eighties.

But I have seen Green Day live twice and absolutely loved it both times. And they have some terrific albums.

Like when they got their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. a lot of fans got really worked up about that but apparently didn't realize if you have enough have enough money and know the right people, just about anyone can get a star. Chris Angel has 1.

• Like 1