Very talented rock bands with mediocre music output?

Texas King

I think Metallica are very good but I don't think they deserve their status at all as the greatest metal band ever or even close...tonnes of thrash metal bands released truly amazing stuff.

And Testament did it better than anybody!

(Happy to be proven wrong).

Also, post Blood Mountain era Mastodon. Crack The Skye is fine but after that? I do not recognise them.

As for Opeth Mick, definitely not the easiest band to get into but you cammot deny their dark brilliance. But as a matter of taste, like The Cure I struggle to handle the weight of their music. Wrapped too tightly with bad moments in my life.

Who says Metallica is the greatest metal band? I certainly don’t. I’d go with sabbath or maiden first right off the top of my head.

I guess no one really but they are still fawned over. Ask any random pop fan what metal is and they likely think of Metallica or Slipknot (at least based on my experience).

• Like 1

ELP

Mick

Was in love with them after discovering them, but that magic wore off quick and most of their songs became tedious instead.

I love their debut and then...naaaaaaah

Brain Salad Surgery does zilch for me.

• Like 2

The Beatles

WTF at The Beatles having mediocre music output? Are you trolling the forum to be edgy or something?

It's an immature form of musical contrarianism a lot of teens get. I once upon a time had it too.

Me too. Thought The Beatles were awful...then I realised I was listening to mostly awful covers on the radio...then I bought their albums and really discovered what made them truly phenomenal.

• Like 1

ELP

Mick

Was in love with them after discovering them, but that magic wore off quick and most of their songs became tedious instead.

I love their debut and then...naaaaaaah

Brain Salad Surgery does zilch for me.

Take a Pebble

Knife-Edge (Favorite song by them)

Tarkus

Jeremy Bender

Endles Enigma pt 1

From The Beginning

Karn Evil (Full song) (Actually very solid, impressively engaging for a 30 min song, favorite next to Knife-Edge)

^ There's what I still enjoy listening to by them

• Like 1

The last couple of Rush albums had plenty of crap.

Two out of the last three were pretty good.

PoW through T4E and Snakes would fit this category though.

The Beatles

WTF at The Beatles having mediocre music output? Are you trolling the forum to be edgy or something?

It's an immature form of musical contrarianism a lot of teens get. I once upon a time had it too.

Did you ever think Friends and Full House were two of the greatest TV shows of all time?

The Beatles

Did you ever think Friends and Full House were two of the greatest TV shows of all time?

Huh?

The Beatles

Those 2 shows I love a lot

• Like 1

The Beatles

I still think Friends is.

• Like 3

The Beatles

Those 2 shows I love a lot

Never seen Full House but Friends I love!

• Like 1

Power metal bands:

Edguy (Their EPs have some really great songs, but I could never get into their full length albums)

Trick or Treat (Discovered these guys recently. Almost Dream Theater tier talent, which is more evident in their more recent albums, but so many of their songs are just way too corny)

Dragonforce (Honestly not as bad as most people say, but I can understand why the speed turns a lot of people off)

• Like 2

Muse

Asia

I can get behind these.

Dream Theater

Eagles

You're kidding right?

VERY TALENTED

MEDIOCRE MUSIC

But I like them all, but I don't think any of them are great.

Muse

Asia

I can get behind these.

Dream Theater

Eagles

You're kidding right?

VERY TALENTED

MEDIOCRE MUSIC

I just find it odd for anyone to think that Eagles are very talented but produced mediocre music. Dream Theater in the last few years has definitely been mediocre, but they were pretty good at hitting the nail on the head with a lot of stuff. Muse is basically the poor man's Radiohead and Asia was a one hit wonder of massive proportions.

Dream Theater

Eagles

Muse

Asia

disagree vehemently with Muse...and DT and the Eagles really. But that's just my two cents.

• Like 1

I think Metallica are very good but I don't think they deserve their status at all as the greatest metal band ever or even close...tonnes of thrash metal bands released truly amazing stuff.

Also, post Blood Mountain era Mastodon. Crack The Skye is fine but after that? I do not recognise them.

As for Opeth Mick, definitely not the easiest band to get into but you cammot deny their dark brilliance. But as a matter of taste, like The Cure I struggle to handle the weight of their music. Wrapped too tightly with bad moments in my life.

Metallica have a LOT of mediocre output, lol. Very true.

Except I don't think Kirk Hammett is particularly talented. He's basically to metal what Kenny G is to jazz, he even has the same hair.

I also forgot to mention Slayer and Led Zep

Slayer has a lot of mediocre material, and their best stuff is a little more than just an acquired taste. You almost have to study and try to understand it before you can start enjoying it. At least that was my experience with them.

However I just have to disagree with you about Zep and the Beatles. If we're thinking a little more "objectively" for a second (noting that music taste is inherently subjective, though generalizations can hold some truth), The Beatles and Led Zep are easily two of the most influential artists in music history. Maybe not so much as Mozart or Bach, but compared to the vast majority of their peers, and many from generations earlier and later, the contributions and effects they've had on music is beyond undeniable, it's just factual information. Now, obviously influence alone does not make quality art, but it is a sign that work may have some intrinsic value, whether or not it appeals to you.

You really have to look at things in terms of not just what you like, but what was the artist's intention in making the musical choices they did, and how well did they accomplish they're intentions, meet or exceed their audience's expectations. That said, The Bealtes and Led Zep easily have two of the greatest catalogues in music history. They did exactly what they wanted, influencing nearly everybody in the process, often exceeding their own hype and eventually turning themselves from critical fodder to the critics' pets.

You don't have to like it, but to deny it has any quality is going a few steps too far.

• Like 5

Muse

Asia

I can get behind these.

Dream Theater

Eagles

You're kidding right?

VERY TALENTED

MEDIOCRE MUSIC

http://images.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,q_auto:good,w_600/hffc5aeat7ypf5sr9gyn/here-s-why-spider-man-would-demolish-the-incredible-hulk-in-a-fight.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11124/111248115/4802326-2300813-hulksmash.jpg

To answer the question: Dream Theater for me too.

Just could never get into that machine despite all the mechanics being highly skilled.

• Like 1

as per the topic......they are very talented. but the music leaves me cold.

Mick