Test For Echo is a *Super Fun* Album

Day of Light

Anybody with 4 hours to spare one evening, Neil's 'A Work In Progress' is an excellent companion to the album.

A blow by blow detail of the recording of each individual TFE drum track. Some more talk and analysis, a live in-the-studio performance... followed by more talk.

3338neil_peart_a_work_in_progress-display.jpg

I don't care for the album, but I enjoy the songs when I watch this. ^^^ You get to see all the ghosted notes and such that disappear in the album mix.
  • Like 1

Anybody with 4 hours to spare one evening, Neil's 'A Work In Progress' is an excellent companion to the album.

A blow by blow detail of the recording of each individual TFE drum track. Some more talk and analysis, a live in-the-studio performance... followed by more talk.

This video is why executions were allowed to continue in states that had a moratorium on capital punishment. It's more reliable than midazolam.

I'm curious if you're a drummer.

This video is why executions were allowed to continue in states that had a moratorium on capital punishment. It's more reliable than midazolam.

Oh hell no.

I've been on TRF for 7 or so years and I've been known to praise this album. Mostly due to heavy nostalgia. I love the cold and icy feel the album has, especially on the title track and on Totem, one of my favourite Rush tracks. The album art also is stellar. It all fits together very nicely. It feels complete, even though it was blinded by nostalgia. A great record, very underrated.
  • Like 1

Oh hell no.

Makes sense, then.

:cheers:

T4E was the album that gave me a little hope after the dire slump of the previous three albums...

Don't get me wrong, it's not a great or even a very good album, but it does have a clutch of very fine songs indeed.

Some of the lyrics are pretty horrible (eg Virtuality) but equally some are very good (eg T4E)

Unfortunately though, this brief renaissance was not to last, but that's a story for another day.

You sir, are so very wrong.
  • Like 1

I always enjoy giving T4E a spin.

The title track is absolute classic Rush. A tremendous song that I always wished they brought back live (and sadly they never did).

Totem is one of my all time favorite Rush tunes and is vastly underrated.

Resist is a keeper.

And the much maligned Dog Years is also one of my favorite tracks from the album. A pure jam fest and as a dog owner....I love the lyrics. It is meant to be funny and farcical. This was Neil writing after a long night of drinking wine (no really he talked about this on the world premier radio show for Test For Echo). The bridge is such a sublime moment (I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos or a span of geological time).

f***ing brilliant.

• Like 3

I always enjoy giving T4E a spin.

The title track is absolute classic Rush. A tremendous song that I always wished they brought back live (and sadly they never did).

Totem is one of my all time favorite Rush tunes and is vastly underrated.

Resist is a keeper.

And the much maligned Dog Years is also one of my favorite tracks from the album. A pure jam fest and as a dog owner....I love the lyrics. It is meant to be funny and farcical. This was Neil writing after a long night of drinking wine (no really he talked about this on the world premier radio show for Test For Echo). The bridge is such a sublime moment (I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos or a span of geological time).

f***ing brilliant.

THIS!!!!!
  • Like 2

I should pull this off the shelf and watch it again. It's been a few years. It's great.

• Like 2

I don't care much for the sound or maybe more specifically, Alex's guitar tone. The whole thing has a fuzziness and distortion to it that puts me off. Ditto Geddy's bass. Counterparts sounded way better

Love it.

"Counterparts" is the last great Rush record.

It broke my soul when the boys didn't play "Alien Shore" but believe it or not I have a sharp mind for being such a radical Rush maniac.

I remember hearing rumors that the boys played "Alien Shore" a few times on the East Coast.

Fact or fiction?

I don't care much for the sound or maybe more specifically, Alex's guitar tone. The whole thing has a fuzziness and distortion to it that puts me off. Ditto Geddy's bass. Counterparts sounded way better

Love it.

It broke my soul when the boys didn't play "Alien Shore" but believe it or not I have a sharp mind for being such a radical Rush maniac.

I remember hearing rumors that the boys played "Alien Shore" a few times on the East Coast.

Fact or fiction?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/6/67877/2527160-silver_surfer___judgement_day___45.jpg

• Like 1

Love it.

Fact or fiction?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/6/67877/2527160-silver_surfer___judgement_day___45.jpg

That's awesome!!!!

Is that me JB???

Am I the SILVER SURFER? Or is that YOU??????

Love

Joe Satriani

Love it.

Fact or fiction?

That's awesome!!!!

Is that me JB???

Love

Joe Satriani

It's a random Marvel pic just because I like it.

As I said in the past, here we are:

http://pre01.deviantart.net/fa2f/th/pre/i/2014/219/5/3/ghost_rider___deadpool_joy_ride_by_kswlodyga-d7u6jxw.jpg

Driven ((<----to keep it on the thread topic)) ;)

:blaze:

Love it.

Fact or fiction?

No doubt it was fiction.

Alien Shore is one amazing Rush song.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Love it.

Fact or fiction?

No doubt it was fiction.

Alien Shore is one amazing Rush song.

Musically it kicks butt. and I like the subject matter. Not sure how I feel about the lyrics though. "We are strangers by one chromosome..." eeeehhhhhhhh

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

Love it.

Fact or fiction?

That's awesome!!!!

Is that me JB???

Love

Joe Satriani

Earl, just in case you didn't catch what I was really saying with the Silver Surfer pic...

The Silver Surfer is an alien who surfs ----> Alien Shore played live is fiction.

;)

I didn't care much for Neil's lyrical theme on Counterparts so almost all my favorite songs on that were the ones not closely following the "opposites" and "men and women are different" ideas. Stick It Out,CTTC, LTTA, Between Sun, Everyday Glory.

All the talk about lyrics, gimme a break. Maybe Neil was a little preoccupied by completely reinventing his approach to drumming to write the perfect lyrics.. Who the hell turns to RUSH for decent lyrics any way?? When Neil writes bad lyrics it only makes him like most other bands and no less.. Dont make me post the lyrics to 'lick it up' dammit!! ;)
  • Like 1

All the talk about lyrics, gimme a break. Maybe Neil was a little preoccupied by completely reinventing his approach to drumming to write the perfect lyrics.. Who the hell turns to RUSH for decent lyrics any way?? When Neil writes bad lyrics it only makes him like most other bands and no less.. Dont make me post the lyrics to 'lick it up' dammit!! ;)

"It's only right now"

• Like 1

"It's only right now"

I think your wit has finally transcended my comprehension sir.. Whatchu talkin bout?? Lol

• Like 1