The people who are saying "rock is dead"

fraroc

and if i recall you yourself used to bitch about rock dying.....so........yea. lol

Mick

That was my first thought when I saw the thread "Isn't he one of the ones who think it's dead?"

Fraroc must be one of them "old f**ks. Memory loss, lol

Mick

And in my last paragraph, I described that the reason why that whole defeatist attitude bothers me is because not to long ago, I had the same exact thoughts as the "rock is dead" group. I got out of that mindset by finding good new music to listen to.

Give us an example. We're all morbidly curious as to what new bands you like just by listening to one song alone.

I am still looking for new music and finding it..AND creating it. Thank god.

But we are kidding ourselves if we believe that music in general will ever be the cultural force it once was. There are too many other potential diversions/means of escapism now.

Do you ever read the comments under music youtube vids? Never fails, and there's always at least one who says how they lament the crapola music today compared to yesteryear.

Yeah.. I have noticed that. People love to hear themselves talk sometimes... LOL

What i see is attacks specifically against Justin Bieber in the comments. Even if they are in comments he's phrasing it like they're telling him face to face, hence my original question.

and if i recall you yourself used to bitch about rock dying.....so........yea. lol

Mick

That was my first thought when I saw the thread "Isn't he one of the ones who think it's dead?"

Fraroc must be one of them "old f**ks. Memory loss, lol

Mick

And in my last paragraph, I described that the reason why that whole defeatist attitude bothers me is because not to long ago, I had the same exact thoughts as the "rock is dead" group. I got out of that mindset by finding good new music to listen to.

Give us an example. We're all morbidly curious as to what new bands you like just by listening to one song alone.

I've gotten majorly into Delain and Lacuna Coil (thanks to segue) and now I'm beginning to check out bands like Fear Factory and The Birthday Massacre. While rock and metal might have gone underground, all you gotta do is dig and you'll uncover a hidden treasure trove of new good music.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

I think for Rock to be big again, a big die off needs to occur. Many of these older, geriatric bands need to retire. Look at the top grossing tours of 2016. Bruce Springsteen, U2, Paul McCartney, and Guns N Roses are very likely at the top of the list. How many rock bands that formed in the last 20 years even come close?

MUSE! :D

I think for Rock to be big again, a big die off needs to occur. Many of these older, geriatric bands need to retire. Look at the top grossing tours of 2016. Bruce Springsteen, U2, Paul McCartney, and Guns N Roses are very likely at the top of the list. How many rock bands that formed in the last 20 years even come close?

They formed in '94.

Interestingly enough, I find it almost a disproportionate amount of older people that are making this declaration that rock is dead as opposed to young people. Come to think of it, I have actually NEVER met anybody in their teens and twenties that told me "Oh why do you still listen to that old people shit? Rock is dead." Hell, when I was in college, people LIKED the fact that I have sort of an old school taste in music. They thought I was cool because I love rock and metal.

However, I have seen more comments online by people who say they're in their 40s and 50s saying things like "Oh well, all these young people learning guitar are just wasting their time because rock is dead." And I have a massive problem with that. Am I just "wasting my time" because I have a good music taste....

Another problem I have is the fact that a lot of these older people commenting seem to have a defeatist attitude towards the subject. "The youth nowadays don't think good music is cool anymore, I guess there's no point in trying to keep it alive. Just let it die."

This bothers me on a multitude of levels because it was everything I was saying not too long ago. Before I started to wake up and start searching few new good rock bands to listen to. What I found was a buried treasure trove of amazing new rock and metal bands from this current century. Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Delain, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Amaranthe, The Birthday Massacre and many others. Hell, even youtubers like Jared Dines and Rob Scallion are doing a major part in keeping rock and metal alive and relevant!

I don't care how many old f***s want me to just roll over and accept that rock is dead. It is NOT dead and I refuse to go back to that old, narrow minded way of thinking.

There is no way in HELL that rock is dead! It's very alive and it shall remain that way at this very moment in time. HOWEVER! That being said there is some concern for the future. Especially for that "shredding" guitarist.

I went to the fair last night and saw NIGHT RANGER! Yep! Dinosaur Rock! Go ahead and laugh however Brad Gillis is one of the greatest "shredders" left on the planet. Night Ranger kicked ass last night. The opened the show with a new song and then did all the classics and a few covers! Unlike Geritol Maiden! Watching Bruce run around like a grandpa wearing frumpy clothing, a nacho libre mask and Depends!! Maiden is DEAD! ROCK IS NOT DEAD!

So the point is this. During the show Jack Blades kept telling the audience.... "Where are the next generation of guitar players?" "WE NEED YOUNG GUITAR PLAYERS!" PLEASE!! SOMEONE PICK UP A GUiTAR AND SAVE US!"

I think the guitarist prodigy is absolutely dying. Where are they? Who is the next Eddie Van Halen? The next Randy Rhoads? The next SRV? NOWHERE!

• Like 3

Interestingly enough, I find it almost a disproportionate amount of older people that are making this declaration that rock is dead as opposed to young people. Come to think of it, I have actually NEVER met anybody in their teens and twenties that told me "Oh why do you still listen to that old people shit? Rock is dead." Hell, when I was in college, people LIKED the fact that I have sort of an old school taste in music. They thought I was cool because I love rock and metal.

However, I have seen more comments online by people who say they're in their 40s and 50s saying things like "Oh well, all these young people learning guitar are just wasting their time because rock is dead." And I have a massive problem with that. Am I just "wasting my time" because I have a good music taste....

Another problem I have is the fact that a lot of these older people commenting seem to have a defeatist attitude towards the subject. "The youth nowadays don't think good music is cool anymore, I guess there's no point in trying to keep it alive. Just let it die."

This bothers me on a multitude of levels because it was everything I was saying not too long ago. Before I started to wake up and start searching few new good rock bands to listen to. What I found was a buried treasure trove of amazing new rock and metal bands from this current century. Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Delain, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Amaranthe, The Birthday Massacre and many others. Hell, even youtubers like Jared Dines and Rob Scallion are doing a major part in keeping rock and metal alive and relevant!

I don't care how many old f***s want me to just roll over and accept that rock is dead. It is NOT dead and I refuse to go back to that old, narrow minded way of thinking.

There is no way in HELL that rock is dead! It's very alive and it shall remain that way at this very moment in time. HOWEVER! That being said there is some concern for the future. Especially for that "shredding" guitarist.

I went to the fair last night and saw NIGHT RANGER! Yep! Dinosaur Rock! Go ahead and laugh however Brad Gillis is one of the greatest "shredders" left on the planet. Night Ranger kicked ass last night. The opened the show with a new song and then did all the classics and a few covers! Unlike Geritol Maiden! Watching Bruce run around like a grandpa wearing frumpy clothing, a nacho libre mask and Depends!! Maiden is DEAD! ROCK IS NOT DEAD!

So the point is this. During the show Jack Blades kept telling the audience.... "Where are the next generation of guitar players?" "WE NEED YOUNG GUITAR PLAYERS!" PLEASE!! SOMEONE PICK UP A GUiTAR AND SAVE US!"

I think the guitarist prodigy is absolutely dying. Where are they? Who is the next Eddie Van Halen? The next Randy Rhoads? The next SRV? NOWHERE!

Very cool...I wouldn't think of Night Ranger as one of those bands that would still put on a great show. But that's awesome.

Only think I'd say about the next Randy Rhoda's, EVH, SRV...part of what made those guys as dominant as they were was a music industry mechanism and an environment that really doesn't exist anymore.

I do think there are plenty of great, great, rockin' guitar players out there...they just have to innovate a lot more on their own in order to be heard by as many people anymore.

I think it's easier for lesser-known musicians to put their stuff out there than it used to be. But it's also a much more limited audience that they end up reaching.

• Like 3

They formed in '94.

They are a vital recording and touring act regardless of when they were formed. One problem with rock fans is there's always someone to take a shit on a band you like because they're too popular, too old, sold out, not heavy enough, too heavy, etc.... Screw 'em

They formed in '94.

They are a vital recording and touring act regardless of when they were formed. One problem with rock fans is there's always someone to take a shit on a band you like because they're too popular, too old, sold out, not heavy enough, too heavy, etc.... Screw 'em

I'm trying to argue that none of the big rock artists selling out today are very new. Even larger acts like Muse are 23 years old. There's about to be a big vacuum of rock bands coming and I'm excited about what may possibly fill that demand.

Very cool...I wouldn't think of Night Ranger as one of those bands that would still put on a great show. But that's awesome.

Only think I'd say about the next Randy Rhoda's, EVH, SRV...part of what made those guys as dominant as they were was a music industry mechanism and an environment that really doesn't exist anymore.

I do think there are plenty of great, great, rockin' guitar players out there...they just have to innovate a lot more on their own in order to be heard by as many people anymore.

I think it's easier for lesser-known musicians to put their stuff out there than it used to be. But it's also a much more limited audience that they end up reaching.

Absolutely.

Well stated.

Earl, not true

This song is the next logical step ... I'm not going to say "better" than Randy, but ... This is the edited version, the original is 14 minutes long .... But what happens at about the 4:18 point is about as good as any shredder has ever done within the context of a song .

Syu from the band Galneryus

Earl, not true

This song is the next logical step ... I'm not going to say "better" than Randy, but ... This is the edited version, the original is 14 minutes long .... But what happens at about the 4:18 point is about as good as any shredder has ever done within the context of a song .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsi9HEmZl9Y

Hmmmmm...

Melodic and heavy. It's like 80's Loudness fused with DRAGON"FARCE." YUCK!

A very talented shredder. Perhaps some hope for those who can actually think outside the North American Box.

I'm listening to the new JORN. Excellent melodic guitar metal!

They formed in '94.

First albums are generally what's counted, and their first album was in 99.

SRV was incredibly overrated as a guitarist so we can do without that, but I wouldn't mind another EVH or RR.

• Like 1

Earl, not true

Hmmmmm...

A very talented shredder. Perhaps some hope for those who can actually think outside the North American Box.

Earl, I think what you just did is part of the issue : comparing a new band to older ones .. It just isn't fair

When The Rolling Stones released their debut album it had 9 cover songs on it ... and Led Zep's debut was filled with plagiarism ..

When Led Zep or The Stones released those first albums, I'm sure they had a lot of people excited - it would have been unfair to write off those now great bands just because of comparisons ..

It is 2017, and it is what it is ... When I hear Angel Of Salvation and then go listen to Over The Mountain or Highway Star, the guitar in the older songs sounds very unspectacular by comparison ..

But that's my point - it's not fair or about comparing

SRV was incredibly overrated as a guitarist so we can do without that

Sorry, you've just lost what little shred of credibility you had in my eyes......

• Like 4

Earl, not true

Hmmmmm...

Earl, I think what you just did is part of the issue : comparing a new band to older ones .. It just isn't fair

When The Rolling Stones released their debut album it had 9 cover songs on it ... and Led Zep's debut was filled with plagiarism ..

When Led Zep or The Stones released those first albums, I'm sure they had a lot of people excited - it would have been unfair to write off those now great bands just because of comparisons ..

It is 2017, and it is what it is ... When I hear Angel Of Salvation and then go listen to Over The Mountain or Highway Star, the guitar in the older songs sounds very unspectacular by comparison ..

But that's my point - it's not fair or about comparing

Funny Lucas!

Night Ranger covered some Highway Star the other night.

Everyone has their influences. But man.....

I can't deal with the mediocre crap of the modern age.

There is no band I am in love in that is current and on fire, like Satan's bassinet.

Love,

GHOST

I mean Lucas!

I'm crazy! Everyone is right.

I'm watching the 10cc dvd tonight. Clever Clogs

Sorry brother.

"I'm Not In Love"

With anyone.............

SRV was incredibly overrated as a guitar rist so we can do without that

Sorry, you've just lost what little shred of credibility you had in my eyes......

I wish I went to bed before reading such rubbish and sadness.

I cried like a baby when SRV died.

I had a ticket to see him in Oakland with Jeff Beck.

I was too much of a fukking pussy to call in sick. Worked 3 to midnight.

I always figured I would see SRV on the next leg or tour.

He crashed in fuckkng Eric Clapton's helicopter. Fate Destiny God Universe, is not FAIR!

No one is safe no matter what you believe in.

I rarely cry for an musician's death.

Ok I'm a liar.

SRV

Gary Moore

David Bowie

Chris Squire

Keith Emerson

Greg Lake

John Wetton

I know we are all going to die.

But man, it sucks ass.

SRV was one of the greatest guitar players ever born.

I feel sorry for the idiots who can't relate to his brilliance.

Don't worry folks. There are a lot of fuckking morons in the world who never got SRV.

I know this for a fact.

Here in California.

I was not in the crowd but one of my best friends was!

It was a rainy cold day.

Stevie opened up for Sammy Hagar.

The rain poured.

Stevie played.

Idiot moron dumbass Sammy fans threw bottles and shit at Stevie when he was performing on stage.

Stevie and Double Trouble played through it.

Troopers.

I can't stand Sammy Fagar Fans to this day. They are a disgrace to a true Texas Legend.

No wonder I hate Van Hagar.

No respect for Stevie.

Makes me sick.

Why in God's Wonderment would Davie Bowie hire SRV for the "Let's Dance" record? For me it was Bowie's last masterpiece.

Do you see the signs?

SRV and Bowie. GONE

Wake the fukk up you ignorant music listeners!

But then again you have the right to your opinion.

So alas I will reel it in and say goodnight.

To each their own.

Stevie Ray Vaughan makes me heart sing. Makes me spirit sting. I really "Couldn't Stand The Weather" and I live for rock and roll.

You fools who are clueless can eat my out step. I'm an In Step kind of guy with a brain filled with a "Soul To Soul!"

You SRV haters keep walking that "Tightrope" because you will fall......

Karma will get you when you sleep at night. Sleep with one eye open. Metallica is junk since Cliff passed. So glad I have no filter.

Show some respect.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

I'm so mad right now.

I can't sleep!

It's my issue.

Perhaps I just just leave this Forum on my own "Freewill."

Sometimes I feel like I waste my existence on here.

I try to add a lot.

Even if it's positive or negative.

But man.

Humans who disrespect SRV really irk me.

Humans have their right to choose.

I learned that with Myles and Nightwish.

So fine.

I will take the high road.

Humans who dis SRV..........

I'm in disbelief

Edited by RUSHHEAD666