43 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite grunge-era album?

• Dirt - Alice in Chains
    • Nevermind - Nirvana
    • Ten - Pearl Jam
    • Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden

I am loving grunge again!
  • Like 1

Grunge was my first beloved genre. Back in 2004 I was given the Nirvana best of album and it went from there (emo and goth came soon after and I left grunge behind).

But now I'm coming back to grunge and wow!

Temple Of The Dog

Stone Temple Pilots

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Smashing Pumpkins

Mother Love Bone

Melvins

Wow!

I need to check out Screaming Trees next.

This era had so much substance it's hard to believe hair metal was just a moment before.
  • Like 1

If by "grunge era" you mean the early 1990s, my favorite album would be "Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell" by Social Distortion

But Social D is more of a punk band. They are one of my all time favorite bands! :haz:

I agree .. and pointing out the importance of the four bands initially mentioned

This era had so much substance it's hard to believe hair metal was just a moment before.

Layne Staley agrees

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/exposedlayne2_jpg.jpg

Layne Staley agrees

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/exposedlayne2_jpg.jpg

Well it likely got him chicks so I don't see the problem lol

Grunge was my first beloved genre. Back in 2004 I was given the Nirvana best of album and it went from there (emo and goth came soon after and I left grunge behind).

Temple Of The Dog

Stone Temple Pilots

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Smashing Pumpkins

Mother Love Bone

Melvins

Wow!

Just the other day I mentioned this one as being my favorite 90s album:

http://cdn-s3.allmusic.com/release-covers/500/0000/741/0000741978.jpg

IMHO, lead singer Mark Lanegan doesn't sound like any of the other 90s grunge vocalists. Not that any of those guys in particular bother me but it's good to have your own sound.

Bonus: Mike McCready of Pearl Jam has a guest appearance (guitar solo) in "Dying Days"

This is another good album of theirs too:

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/fotos/155_foto1_product_groot.jpg

• Like 3

I would recommend the Meat Puppets, also. They weren't quite as heavy as a lot of the other grunge bands, but about half way there, haha.

Also, an album by The Posies called Frosting on the Beater was definitely grunge-influenced. They were much more melodic at heart, so it comes out sounding sort of like Rubber Soul-era Beatles mixed with Pearl Jam. Great record, though, I liked it a lot.

• Like 2

I feel like the poll is too shot.

missing at least another four, isn't it?

Say...

In Utero

Facelift

Superunknown

Vs.

?

And that's just four more from those four bands.

Say...

In Utero

Facelift

Superunknown

Vs.

?

Core

Temple Of The Dog

Siamese Dream

• Like 1

Say...

In Utero

Facelift

Superunknown

Vs.

?

Core

Temple Of The Dog

Siamese Dream

Siamese Dream?

Okay, let me preface me question here with I have been listening to more "grunge," and I think I'm starting to get the sound...just Nirvana always throws me off because they're so much puncher than the other three. So there's that.

I don't see how Siamese Dream fits the "seattle sound" at all. Some stuff on Mellen Collie perhaps (okay, Bullet With Butterfly Wings probably), but I don't hear any grunge in Siamese Dream, just more general 90s alternative rock.

Say...

In Utero

Facelift

Superunknown

Vs.

?

NOW it's a battle. Vs, is the easy one to drop out. The other three are tough. Probably Superunknown by a hair. Maybe Facelift next. Then In Utero. But the difference between those three is almost negligible.

• Like 1

Say...

In Utero

Facelift

Superunknown

Vs.

?

NOW it's a battle. Vs, is the easy one to drop out. The other three are tough. Probably Superunknown by a hair. Maybe Facelift next. Then In Utero. But the difference between those three is almost negligible.

I was conflicted between Vs. and Vitalogy. Vs. has the rawk, but Vitalogy has the songs and balance.

• Like 1

Also, an album by The Posies called Frosting on the Beater was definitely grunge-influenced. They were much more melodic at heart, so it comes out sounding sort of like Rubber Soul-era Beatles mixed with Pearl Jam. Great record, though, I liked it a lot.

Right on. Great call.. Frosting is a GREAT record.

• Like 1

Temple Of The Dog

Stone Temple Pilots

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Smashing Pumpkins

Mother Love Bone

Melvins

Wow!

IMHO, lead singer Mark Lanegan doesn't sound like any of the other 90s grunge vocalists. Not that any of those guys in particular bother me but it's good to have your own sound.

Bonus: Mike McCready of Pearl Jam has a guest appearance (guitar solo) in "Dying Days"

One of my oldest friends is a major Lanegan fan and he's been recommending him/Trees to me. He's the same guy that got me into PJ in the first place. I need to take him up on this.

• Like 1

Say...

In Utero

Facelift

Superunknown

Vs.

?

I was conflicted between Vs. and Vitalogy. Vs. has the rawk, but Vitalogy has the songs and balance.

I really love both those albums. Not as much as Ten, but a lot.

• Like 1

Temple Of The Dog

Stone Temple Pilots

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Smashing Pumpkins

Mother Love Bone

Melvins

Wow!

One of my oldest friends is a major Lanegan fan and he's been recommending him/Trees to me. He's the same guy that got me into PJ in the first place. I need to take him up on this.

I like his voice more than all of those vocals by Vedder, Weiland, Cobain, and even Cornell.

The only vocals in that genre I'd put at the same level WAS the double vocals of Staley and Cantrell.

Of course this is all a matter of taste.

Unrelated...I never thought of Screaming Trees as grunge.

They're more of an alternative rock band? Or just, rock band?

It doesn't matter though really because I like their music just the same no matter the label. Just sayin'

• Like 1

Temple Of The Dog

Stone Temple Pilots

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Smashing Pumpkins

Mother Love Bone

Melvins

Wow!

I like his voice more than all of those vocals by Vedder, Weiland, Cobain, and even Cornell.

The only vocals in that genre I'd put at the same level WAS the double vocals of Staley and Cantrell.

It doesn't matter though really because I like their music just the same no matter the label. Just sayin'

Grunge is Alternative. It's just specific to a time and place.

• Like 1

Temple Of The Dog

Stone Temple Pilots

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Smashing Pumpkins

Mother Love Bone

Melvins

Wow!

Grunge is Alternative. It's just specific to a time and place.

Yeah, I'm ok with that. I'm pretty neutral on all of these labels.

Dirt. That album was awesome and creepy..."Frankenstein rock" as my brother put it. It epitomized grunge for me: malcontent west coast suburban youths all strung out on heroin. I never really got that vibe from Pearl Jam though I like Pearl Jam better overall.
  • Like 2