Bands: 70's good / 80's bad

cygnify

AC/DC was another one that I think got much worse.

Though perhaps my original intent was bands that made a conscious shift in their sound vs. decline. Of course, most bands will decline over time - but the change in the early 80's was a like a switch. Bands that were going strong in the late 70's drastically changed their approach to sucking; this wasn't a true decline. Maybe AC/DC was just decline from a lack of growth / diversity in their sound.

I think AC/DC peaked in the early 80s.

• Like 1

I don't want to harp on the image some of the great 70s bands took on in the 80s, but there was a definite mindset in which image and the music were one in the same = intent

When Chris Squire was in this mindset, it is hard to imagine much good coming from a YES album

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/615/img/photos/2015/06/28/59/2b/GettyImages-85848402.jpg

I don't want to harp on the image some of the great 70s bands took on in the 80s, but there was a definite mindset in which image and the music were one in the same = intent

When Chris Squire was in this mindset, it is hard to imagine much good coming from a YES album

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/615/img/photos/2015/06/28/59/2b/GettyImages-85848402.jpg

He looks like a transgender dinnerlady

• Like 3

i could see that being a band- The Transgender Dinerladies

I like it, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

i could see that being a band- The Transgender Dinerladies

I like it, lol

Mick

I'm rewatching desperate housewives.

This could be a spin off...

• Like 2

And yet their best album was released in the 80s. ;)

Yes. And Metallica released their best album in the 2000's. All hail St. Anger!

Yes couldn't even compete with Flock Of Seagulls. If it wasn't for the legacy left behind by the seventies classics, no one would have bat an eyelid at 80's Yes.

• Like 1

The Rolling Stones.

Early 80's ... ok albums

Emotional Rescue

Tattoo You

Mid 80's ... sad

Undercover

Dirty Works

Late 80's ... I liked

Steel Wheels

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

I can think of a few bands that were better in the 80s than they were in the seventies, but all of the ones I've thought of were barely begun in the seventies, so not sure of they count.

Siouxsie and the Banshees, Midnight Oil are two examples. But both only 2 albums in seventies and a lot in the 80s.

Tom Waits was better in the 80s. Yes, he's a solo artist. And yes, he's stellar in the 70's as well. But his 80s output gave me the Tom Waits I find phenomenal.

• Like 1

Yes couldn't even compete with Flock Of Seagulls. If it wasn't for the legacy left behind by the seventies classics, no one would have bat an eyelid at 80's Yes.

I saw them in Boston on the 90125 tour. I'll bet you a million dollars it was better attended than the Tales from Topographic Oceans tour.

I saw them in Boston on the 90125 tour. I'll bet you a million dollars it was better attended than the Tales from Topographic Oceans tour.

Vincent Van Gogh was never appreciated in his own lifetime.

And what is this? High school?

Didn't realise it was a surprise a prog album would recieve less appreciation than a pop album.

• Like 1

I can think of a few bands that were better in the 80s than they were in the seventies, but all of the ones I've thought of were barely begun in the seventies, so not sure of they count.

Siouxsie and the Banshees, Midnight Oil are two examples. But both only 2 albums in seventies and a lot in the 80s.

Tom Waits was better in the 80s. Yes, he's a solo artist. And yes, he's stellar in the 70's as well. But his 80s output gave me the Tom Waits I find phenomenal.

totally agree. Waits is my fav artist period and he was amazing in the 80's

Mick

Didn't realise it was a surprise a prog album would recieve less appreciation than a pop album.

Read your post again. You suggested that no one would bat an eyelid at 80s Yes but for 70s Yes. He would you explain their popularity expanding?

"Pop" is short for popular. It tells me nothing about quality. Yes isn't Katy Perry and never has been.

Read your post again. You suggested that no one would bat an eyelid at 80s Yes but for 70s Yes. He would you explain their popularity expanding?

"Pop" is short for popular. It tells me nothing about quality. Yes isn't Katy Perry and never has been.

I was referring to the thought that were it a debut from a brand new band...it would have sunk.

But whatever I really am so pleased you like it it makes my day. But whilst I happily refer to Tales as my favourite, you go pick a bland, corporate pop album as the very best from a band that offered so much more and enjoy yourself.

'A' is also the best album Tull ever recorded. And I am so glad Iron Maiden released The X Factor. About time they released great music!

I was referring to the thought that were it a debut from a brand new band...it would have sunk.

But whatever I really am so pleased you like it it makes my day. But whilst I happily refer to Tales as my favourite, you go pick a bland, corporate pop album as the very best from a band that offered so much more and enjoy yourself.

'A' is also the best album Tull ever recorded. And I am so glad Iron Maiden released The X Factor. About time they released great music!

That explanation for 90125 is beyond insipid.

But I too am pleased that you prefer more obscure albums from artists. It shows a deeper commitment to the music.

But I too am pleased that you prefer more obscure albums from artists. It shows a deeper commitment to the music.

Sorry I was really tired and cranky let night.

I don't always like the obscure albums! I mean...Yes Tales is my favourite Yes album but Hold Your Fire is pretty much my favourite Rush album and that is a pretty maligned "pop" album.

But sometimes I really don't understand a particular albums fandom. I neither enjoy Signals or 90215 as much as most fans and I get a little heated haha!

It's all meant well.

Except for when I am being a little bitch.

Just think, had "Dinnerladies" taken off as originally planned, we wouldn't be here right now taking about 90125 Big Generator

dinnerladies02.jpg

That doesn't even look edited!

totally agree. Waits is my fav artist period and he was amazing in the 80's

Mick

I somehow suspected as much. :)

Lyrical genius, and what he does with percussion is so cool.

• Like 1

yes regularly sold out arenas all through the 70s, dude. they played the garden on the topographic oceans tour, not CBGB.

a lot of "inaccessible" "pretentious" "self-indulgent" music was dug heavily by the listening public in the 70s. not that that means anything

• Like 1

A lot of 70s band not being as great in the 80s has more to do with the fact that most bands put out their best stuff early in their careers (there are exceptions, of course), so it's not like the 80s rolled around and these bands suddenly turned to dog shit.

The changes in sound by bands like Yes and King Crimson had everything to do with changes in band members.

I think three of Rush's best four albums are from the 80s (PeW, MP and PoW), although their 70s run was crazy good.

The 70s = the best decade ever for rock music.

The 80s = awesome, too, but the awesomeness was spread out over many more genres.

• Like 2