Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen?

Texas King

Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen?

The stuff that didn't make Springsteen's albums would be enough to lone to Petty and improve his entire catalog, the Boss by a mile.

Agreed

I think Petty is very consistent. His lows are not as low as Springsteens.

But he has done nothing that inspires me to feel, to think and to dream as much Springsteen.

Nothing Petty has ever done comes close to the first five Springsteen albums. Everything Petty has done that i have heard has been phenomenal. But compared to Springsteen, they are tame.

Springsteen is just off the charts amazing. Petty is close.

I vote Springsteen but Petty is wonderful.

• Like 1

Tom Petty, his guitar player, and 73's famous peanut butter cookie recipe saved my sanity the past few months. I owe Mike Campbell a huge "thank you."

http://youtu.be/mOwBuP-or50

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I lost this video on my desktop and you saved me the trouble of having to find it on youtube again.

I love my Tom Petty.

• Like 1

Tom Petty, his guitar player, and 73's famous peanut butter cookie recipe saved my sanity the past few months. I owe Mike Campbell a huge "thank you."

http://youtu.be/mOwBuP-or50

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I lost this video on my desktop and you saved me the trouble of having to find it on youtube again.

I love my Tom Petty.

Adam got me into him. I really love Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers.

I still go with Petty. but i still do give much respect to Bruce for the run from Greetings to Tunnel of love.

But Petty mastered the art of the perfect pop/rock song so easily.

Bruce could get caught up in his own mythos. and that's always been his weakness.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I think Bruce's wife ruined him. Just my opinion. He changed a lot after he married her.

She made him happier.

That seemed to mark a shift in his music. He became...dare I say it...more pedestrian?

I still go with Petty. but i still do give much respect to Bruce for the run from Greetings to Tunnel of love.

But Petty mastered the art of the perfect pop/rock song so easily.

Bruce could get caught up in his own mythos. and that's always been his weakness.

Mick

I don't hear that at all. His music has always been humble. Until politics took over but that comes with riches, i am sure.

I think Bruce's wife ruined him. Just my opinion. He changed a lot after he married her.

She made him happier.

That seemed to mark a shift in his music. He became...dare I say it...more pedestrian?

i can agree. i love the Human Touch/Lucky Town combo. but after he sort settled into like a comfortable groove that didn't really shift again until Magic. but then it was right back to good music. Just good. that's the thing.

Mick

She made him happier.

i can agree. i love the Human Touch/Lucky Town combo. but after he sort settled into like a comfortable groove that didn't really shift again until Magic. but then it was right back to good music. Just good. that's the thing.

Mick

The Rising and Magic are for me sensational albums. But they are sort of lost in a sea of middling to fairly good releases.

Lucky Town and Human Touch I love. Tom Joad I love. The Rising I love. Magic is a top five album. Then............

The rest is easily forgotten. High Hopes might be his worst ever official release. And the rest I haven't mentioned...none are worth mentioning.

Tom Petty by far what with those quirky songs, and that distinct voice. Whereas Bruce Springsteen just sounds like he's coughing up something. King of the throat polyps is that one. Didn't anyone ever teach him how to sing from the diaphragm? He looks like he's going to blow a gasket!
  • Like 2

I think Petty is very consistent. His lows are not as low as Springsteens.

But he has done nothing that inspires me to feel, to think and to dream as much Springsteen.

Nothing Petty has ever done comes close to the first five Springsteen albums. Everything Petty has done that i have heard has been phenomenal. But compared to Springsteen, they are tame.

Springsteen is just off the charts amazing. Petty is close.

I vote Springsteen but Petty is wonderful.

Though I'm not half the Springsteen fan you are, this.

Darkness On The Edge Of Town is a masterpiece. That's a gold standard of album-craft.

• Like 1

Tom Petty by far what with those quirky songs, and that distinct voice. Whereas Bruce Springsteen just sounds like he's coughing up something. King of the throat polyps is that one. Didn't anyone ever teach him how to sing from the diaphragm? He looks like he's going to blow a gasket!

A distant cousin of mine had voice training. She was many years older than me. When I was ten years old, that's the first thing she told me.

"You sing from the diaphragm" she said, placing her hand there to show me where she meant. I never forgot that bit of advice. :) Not that it helped me. :unsure:

Can you tell by how someone is singing that they aren't singing from there?

Edited by Lorraine