Misfit Middle Eight

Ron2112

I disagree that Neil is portraying everything the band did recently as "a mistake". He discusses how there were some things that he really didn't want to do - but, did them of our respect for people that he loves (Alex and Geddy) ~"When a person you love really wants something, and you can help, you help them get it" He made some significant compromises in these later years (for him, at the expense of his daughter, his family, his health - and perhaps even with the Rolling Stone photo shoot, his dedication to the art.) That is not to say there are not significant upsides that he enjoyed - lots of money (1/6 the gross of every show, tickets and merch, per Alex's court documents) and I do believe he still had some dedication to the craft of drumming (though, as described elsewhere in the book felt like he had reached "the top of his mountain" and perhaps didn't have the creative drive to continue.) He also made the best of touring by pursuing his other passions in shun-piking. So, yeah, there are both upsides and downsides - but like nearly everything, this life choice is not black/white and there is a balance of pros/cons. Neil personally got to the point where the cons out-weighed the pros. He very respectfully made concessions to his business partners. It was Ray Danniels that made things wishy-washy about the "last tour"

If that's the case, then the unwritten third part is "do it and shut up about it."

I'm looking at the whole band breakup PR fiasco of a year ago, where Neil said he's retired then Geddy publicly fell all over himself to say "no, Neil isn't really retired." And now, on top of that for Neil to PUBLISH his thoughts that he didn't want to do any of this stuff in the first place, just seems really insensitive.

It's great if Neil doesn't like the business part of the business. But if he's going to not participate in things like interviews, then he should cede the rest of the control to the other two and shut up about it. You can't have it both ways without coming across like a diva -- and here we are.

• Like 1

If that's the case, then the unwritten third part is "do it and shut up about it."

I'm looking at the whole band breakup PR fiasco of a year ago, where Neil said he's retired then Geddy publicly fell all over himself to say "no, Neil isn't really retired." And now, on top of that for Neil to PUBLISH his thoughts that he didn't want to do any of this stuff in the first place, just seems really insensitive.

It's great if Neil doesn't like the business part of the business. But if he's going to not participate in things like interviews, then he should cede the rest of the control to the other two and shut up about it. You can't have it both ways without coming across like a diva -- and here we are.

I don't have an issue with Neil writing about it - I think it's cool that he would at least provide that explanation to fans (IMO, his books are totally different than doing interviews, etc. He stated he did the TSS documentary as a concession. Afterall, he controls his own biography in his books.) It seems that he was very clear with the guys at work (including Ray) that R40 was going to be it. It was Ray that added the "waffle" to the tour description; clearly he was hoping to talk Neil out of retirement or at least extend the R40 tour. In other words, push him once again to go against a personal decision he made about his future - something that could equally be viewed as insensitive. Ray's comments - and maybe even Geddy's comment that you mention - put Neil into an unclear position publicly. However, it appears that he was very clear and communicated this decision. Thus, Ray and Geddy were perhaps insensitive in pushing the alternate narrative.

I always recall Alex and Geddy talking about the future of the band "We all have to be in", "It's all of us or nothing" etc. In the end, it seems that the band, as an organization, could not accept that one of them had decided, perfectly in their own right, to stop doing it. I won't say they demonized Neil, but the management decisions, and comments made by Ged, clouded what was a very clear decision.

• Like 2

I don't have an issue with Neil writing about it - I think it's cool that he would at least provide that explanation to fans (IMO, his books are totally different than doing interviews, etc. He stated he did the TSS documentary as a concession. Afterall, he controls his own biography in his books.) It seems that he was very clear with the guys at work (including Ray) that R40 was going to be it. It was Ray that added the "waffle" to the tour description; clearly he was hoping to talk Neil out of retirement or at least extend the R40 tour. In other words, push him once again to go against a personal decision he made about his future - something that could equally be viewed as insensitive. Ray's comments - and maybe even Geddy's comment that you mention - put Neil into an unclear position publicly. However, it appears that he was very clear and communicated this decision. Thus, Ray and Geddy were perhaps insensitive in pushing the alternate narrative.

I always recall Alex and Geddy talking about the future of the band "We all have to be in", "It's all of us or nothing" etc. In the end, it seems that the band, as an organization, could not accept that one of them had decided, perfectly in their own right, to stop doing it. I won't say they demonized Neil, but the management decisions, and comments made by Ged, clouded what was a very clear decision.

I don't know if it was all that clear......in at least one interview (Modern Drummer?), Neil holds the door open for future efforts. Then we get the "my daughter says I'm retired" line. All kinda ham-handed.

If that is all true, and he's not just being angsty, that is very depressing.

I have accepted Rush are done. And I'm glad that they ended on such a high note with Clockwork Angels and the R40 Tour. The R40 Tour was a bit short for a farewell tour, but otherwise what I wanted.

Tony is correct because he's been a fan longer than anyone other than Canadianice who is actually the band's guitarist.

Yes Neil comes off a bit as an entitled prick. Less so when you can see and hear the rare interview.

What I meant is that

1.I've been a fan for most of my life, all of my adult life.

2. It would have been nice to see a final performance. Notice I said "nice" not I demand.

3. I am not blaming Peart for this.

Clear now?

I thought Ged n Al were also against calling it a farewell tour. It's rough that he refused to do an R40 second leg, especially for the European fans.

We waited 34 looooong years to get another tour containing a long 70s set. The 33 years in between featuring the synth tours were fun, some incredible musicianship, but nothing to write home about.

• Like 1

Tony is correct because he's been a fan longer than anyone other than Canadianice who is actually the band's guitarist.

Yes Neil comes off a bit as an entitled prick. Less so when you can see and hear the rare interview.

What I meant is that

2. It would have been nice to see a final performance. Notice I said "nice" not I demand.

Clear now?

I thought Ged n Al were also against calling it a farewell tour. It's rough that he refused to do an R40 second leg, especially for the European fans.

We waited 34 looooong years to get another tour containing a long 70s set. The 33 years in between featuring the synth tours were fun, some incredible musicianship, but nothing to write home about.

For me, every Rush gig I went to between '83 to '07 was SOMETHING to write home about. It's part of why they'll always be my favorite band.

• Like 3

The guys at work should simply find someone else to work with.

Actually I'm surprised they haven't done something already.

• Like 1

What I meant is that

Clear now?

For me, every Rush gig I went to between '83 to '07 was SOMETHING to write home about. It's part of why they'll always be my favorite band.

Just a little wordplay Mr Blaze.

I as well am a fan of all Rush eras, especially enjoying the synth era Territories of late ;)

But, to have to wait 34 years, until 34 shows remaining in their touring career, for a single set featuring their formatively stunningly superior 70s material, is something this long-time fan will always remember.

Im bummed as the next Rush fan if it really is the end of touring, but (IMO) the live show was declining. Tempos were slow, drum fills you could always count on were changed or not as solid, Geddys live bass tone has stunk for years now, and not to mention his voice.

There have been times in my life where I've been pushed into doing things I didn't really want to, but felt I "should" anyway. I'm glad to see Neil sticking to his guns. You only live once... happy retirement, Neil. You've earned it.