The true meaning of song The Trees?

Texas King

I could never figure out what is a true meaning of this song. I can't believe that this song has no meaning according to Neil Peart's words - "www.songfacts.com":

Though it seems to be steeped in meaning, according to lyricist/drummer Neil Peart, there is no meaning at all in this song. When asked in the April/May 1980 Modern Drummer magazine about whether there is a message to this song, Peart said, "No. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought, 'What if trees acted like people?' So I saw it as a cartoon really, and wrote it that way. I think that's the image that it conjures up to a listener or a reader. A very simple statement."

What you think?

Edited by Texas King

I think Neil has a good sense of humor but people just can't see it sometimes. The deeper meaning is obvious. The way he told it was by a cartoon image.
  • Like 3

I don't really care whether it has a 'real' meaning, a deep meaning. It's one of those that has been construed as overtly political over the years, and maybe it is, maybe not.

I just know it's a lot of fun to sing and play along to.

• Like 3

Obviously peart's just saying that to keep the song ambiguous.. that's what every artist wants and they've even said it themselves. !
  • Like 1

I think Neil has a good sense of humor but people just can't see it sometimes. The deeper meaning is obvious. The way he told it was by a cartoon image.

I agree, but even on his "humorous songs" he tends to throw a little nugget of meaning into it. I just feel he may have been trying to take the original joke and make a little statement based on it. A statement of individuality or something.

• Like 1

I agree, but even on his "humorous songs" he tends to throw a little nugget of meaning into it. I just feel he may have been trying to take the original joke and make a little statement based on it. A statement of individuality or something.

Which is what I meant by the meaning being obvious. Of course it's about individuality and oppression but how it's told is a metaphor.

• Like 2

This song is about the logging industry and how they make newspaper.

It's a little dated now, since the only people that read REAL newspapers are Neil Peart at coffee shops

SIDENOTE: For those under 30, a newspaper is a paper based printed blog that used to come out twice daily/ daily/ weekly or monthly when news was slow to obtain. You could also place tiny classified ads and make millions like I did

• Like 5

Which is what I meant by the meaning being obvious. Of course it's about individuality and oppression but how it's told is a metaphor.

Ah ok. Misunderstood what you were saying. Because its more than just trees fighting. His quote about it makes it sound like it has no meaning at all. Because he avoids really saying what it is about.

• Like 1

I've known for years that the song was supposed to be humorous lyrically. Thought it was pretty obvious since Neil has mentioned it before in interviews. This is the reason I don't hold the song in as high of esteem as many others do. The music is great but the lyrics are just too silly for me.

Strange how other silly songs like Dog Years or I Think I'm Going Bald get ripped to bits for their goofy lyrics but somehow The Trees always get a pass. Always found that to be a little odd.

• Like 5

Strange how other silly songs like Dog Years or I Think I'm Going Bald get ripped to bits for their goofy lyrics but somehow The Trees always get a pass. Always found that to be a little odd.

Interesting point!

possibilities for 'pass':

-Because The Trees has a cool middle section in 5/8?

-Because of all the woodblocks and windchimes?? ("Whoa! It's like I'm in a forest!")

-People like trees more than hair and dogs???

:huh:

• Like 2

But hey, the biggest question is...

Does anybody here not like Hemispheres?

Nope. Those who post anything about not liking Hemispheres immediately get banned by the admins.

• Like 2

I always thought it was in 5/4, but now you have me second-guessing myself.

;)

Pretty sure it's 5/4.

Pretty sure it's 25 or 6 to 4......................................................OOPS Wrong band forum

• Like 2

I always thought it was in 5/4, but now you have me second-guessing myself.

;)

Pretty sure it's 5/4.

Yeah, I shoulda counted it through. I was lazy and just thought of the guitar-thing that starts it. Or perhaps I'm even thinking of another song. Whoops!

I also blame the coffee?

Wait - maybe I just like my 8th notes a little slower than most. Yeah, that's it.

• Like 1

But hey, the biggest question is...

Does anybody here not like Hemispheres?

Nope. Those who post anything about not liking Hemispheres immediately get banned by the admins.

Then what am I still doing here? :laughing guy:

• Like 1