Music expectations for 2017

Rod in Toronto

I'll see Maiden in May...

oh, and I've decided to delay my international breakthrough as a rock god. :hail: :smoke:

• Like 5

My musical expectations (and predictions) for 2017:

Anathema - new disc. Won't tour US (and if they did they wouldn't come to Florida...)

Steven Wilson - new disc. Won't tour near Florida or Southeast

Alice in Chains - new disc - and will play Florida (Yeah!)

Opeth will continue to avoid any shows in Florida or Southeast (*Charlotte doesn't count!)

The Aristocrats will record a new disc - and tour every corner of the planet including Nepal, Indonesia, and Chile. But they won't play within an 8 hour drive of Florida. Oh wait, that was the last two years... lol.

King Crimson will have limited tours that include NY, Boston, Chi, SF, LA, Montreal, Toronto. But nowhere near Florida.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I already have tickets April 26.

Roger Waters will be playing in Florida - at the time I will be on vacation with my family in Europe (can't complain, but f@ckl!)

Peter Gabriel might play some shows. But not in Florida.

My band will play ~20 shows (yeah!) They will push me to use in-ear monitors. I will resist. Not quietly. lol.

Neil will remain solidly retired. Geddy and Alex will both separately write material, but not record.

Tool will *not* release a record in 2017.

and the grimmest expectation: even more of my classic rock heroes will pass in 2017...

• Like 2

Anathema - new disc. Won't tour US (and if they did they wouldn't come to Florida...)

Steven Wilson - new disc. Won't tour near Florida or Southeast

Alice in Chains - new disc - and will play Florida (Yeah!)

Opeth will continue to avoid any shows in Florida or Southeast (*Charlotte doesn't count!)

The Aristocrats will record a new disc - and tour every corner of the planet including Nepal, Indonesia, and Chile. But they won't play within an 8 hour drive of Florida. Oh wait, that was the last two years... lol.

King Crimson will have limited tours that include NY, Boston, Chi, SF, LA, Montreal, Toronto. But nowhere near Florida.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I already have tickets April 26.

Roger Waters will be playing in Florida - at the time I will be on vacation with my family in Europe (can't complain, but f@ckl!)

Peter Gabriel might play some shows. But not in Florida.

My band will play ~20 shows (yeah!) They will push me to use in-ear monitors. I will resist. Not quietly. lol.

Neil will remain solidly retired. Geddy and Alex will both separately write material, but not record.

Tool will *not* release a record in 2017.

and the grimmest expectation: even more of my classic rock heroes will pass in 2017...

Opeth is playing Nashville with Gojira and Devin Townsend Project May 4th at the War Memorial Auditorium. I already have my tickets. :dweez:

Edited by catherine
  • Like 3

I forgot to mention that Michael Kiske will rejoin Helloween for a number of shows.

Was unaware, thanks for this post

First photo of the reunited lineup: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/helloween-first-photo-of-pumpkins-united-touring-lineup-feat-michael-kiske-kai-hansen/

• Like 1

Opeth is playing Nashville with Gojira and Devin Townsend Project May 4th at the War Memorial Auditorium. I already have my tickets. :dweez:

You're lucky! Yeah, I guess Nashville is technically "Southeast" - but still a 10 hour drive for me and it's on a Thursday night (thus, not possible, even to fly out...) Enjoy it!

Well, my 2017 concert wise (so far) is:

Gojira in Copenhagen and Rammstein in Horsens (also Denmark, just closer to home). Maybe many more.

I'm hoping for new Mastodon material since I read they hooked up with Brendan O'Brian who produced Crack The Skye which is my favorite Mastodon record. On the other hand I gave up hoping for new Tool material. It'll be released some year. Peter Gabriel touring is very likely and I will likely catch one of his shows.

I'm starting to expand my record collection with comedy. I got some Bill Hicks and Bill Burr and I'm really hoping that Bill Burr will release his next special on vinyl also. Other than that I can't think of anymore that's on my radar.

You're lucky! Yeah, I guess Nashville is technically "Southeast" - but still a 10 hour drive for me and it's on a Thursday night (thus, not possible, even to fly out...) Enjoy it!

Bummer you can't make it. No vacation time coming? Nashville is awesome in the spring. :-)

Edited by catherine

Bummer you can't make it. No vacation time coming? Nashville is awesome in the spring. :-)

I'm sure it is; but alas, the kids will still be in school and I'll have spent more than my share of "me time" with my band commitments. I'll just have to get by with youtube footage and hope that Opeth eventually decides to make a new live DVD... and live vicariously through those lucky enough to attend; please report back after the show! :)

• Like 1

I'm hoping for more concerts that I would be interested in attending. 2016 was a great year and will be tough to beat.

So Far:

The Musical Box ( Genesis cover ) - Feb

Roger Waters - Sept

That's it ?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Keep hoping for a Genesis reunion tour

Seems unlikely, but Phil said his son will be playing drums on his brief 2017 solo tour.

Phil can't drum at all anymore. Nerve damage and will mostly be seated due to physical limitations

• Like 1

I expect less people to die. :( Paul McCartney, Elton John, and Billy Joel should start wearing HASMAT suits. Edited by Disk98

Keep hoping for a Genesis reunion tour

Seems unlikely, but Phil said his son will be playing drums on his brief 2017 solo tour.

Phil can't drum at all anymore. Nerve damage and will mostly be seated due to physical limitations

Go and see Steve Hackett. He'll give you a Genesis fix. I hoping for 'One For The Vine' on his upcoming tour.

• Like 2