24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best guitar player?

2. 2. Who is the best drummer?

• Neil Peart
    • Bill Ward
  3. 3. Who is the best bass player?

• Geddy Lee
    • Geezer Butler

Iommi practically wrote the blueprint for an entire genre of rock music. No contest.

Peart raised the bar. No contest.

Geddy vs. Geezer is a bit more difficult. I'm going with Geddy because he has a better sense of the melodic side of the bass guitar. Geddy is also more diverse a player. Hmm. Maybe it is no contest?

• Like 3

I think all three members of Rush are "better" at what they do than Sabbath. Better musicians, more skilled, etc. but the members of Sabbath are much more inventive. Throughout their career Rush listened to the contemporary bands around them and used them to influence their own sound while Sabbath basically invented an entire genre and if I were to compare the legacy of both bands, Sabbath definitely trumps them. Especially Iommi/Butler vs Lifeson/Lee when it comes to influence.
  • Like 1

It pains me to vote for Iommi over Alex, but I had to. Iommi's contributions to rock are HUGE. Iommi has written some of the most recognizable riffs ever.

Neil and Geddy are hands down winners.

Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 2

Personally, I would prefer these polls ask for "favorite" rather than "best". I can acknowledge that someone may be more technically proficient and diverse (in this case, Alex), but I still can't vote for him/her if they are opposing someone whose sound, style and innovation I simply prefer (Iommi). Edited by TexMike

Personally, I would prefer these polls ask for "favorite" rather than "best".

Yeah I've said that before myself. There really is no such thing as best since art is objective. Talent is more obvious but even that needs to be defined.

• Like 1

Alex - better guitarist

Neil - better drummer

Geddy - better bass player

But as for the better band?

Sabbath created Heavy Metal (IMHO) and their first 4 albums are IMHO faultless.

Tony for sure. Dude basically invented heavy metal riffing and his solos are the shit too. Neil for sure though Ward in his younger days was quite good. I couldn't vote for either Ged or Geez cuz to me they're tied and that wasn't an option so no voting for me. Edited by driventotheedge