What made Rush so special for you?

Lorraine

I first enjoyed their music, by myself, in my room. My imagination went wild.

Then they were my first rock concert. Being surrounded by 15,000 people, all of them there for the same reason I was, and hearing the opening notes of "2112". Wow. An experience I'll never forget and a memory I always find comfort in.

Rush is my band.

• Like 6

Rush haven't felt special to me in a long time.

Sad but true.

Segue, if you had watched Time Stand Still, you would realize that you and I and maybe a handful of others really don't belong here.

We should thank the other TrueRushFans who are members here for allowing us to be here.

I'm not being mean. It's the truth. That's what watching the documentary has made me realize.

Edited by Lorraine

Sad but true.

Whereas Lacuna Coil, top top special magical band.

Lol. Rush was a turning point in my musical growth. But LC remain my favourite band and Rush never came close.

Sad but true.

But you can still answer the question since it asks what MADE Rush special to you?

I don't really remember...I feel that numb towards them now.

Sad but true.

Whereas Lacuna Coil, top top special magical band.

Lol. Rush was a turning point in my musical growth. But LC remain my favourite band and Rush never came close.

When you bite deep into Lacuna Coil you realise they're just a shit sandwich. In fact your list of favorites in your profile would suggest that you might be the living embodiment of Duaune Dibley.

"So many lives wrapped up in the work of three musicians."

I was just thinking that exact thing today. I was listening to Snakes & Arrows Live and when Natural Science came on I was overcome with grief that it is really over. I was in tears while I was listening. How can three guys mean so much to so many because of doing something that they love? It's surreal. I get why Neal has arrived at his decision, but I am struggling with not feeling a bit of resentment towards him. I am heartbroken that there will most likely be no more albums to look forward to. No more concerts and DVD's. No more Rush. Sigh

• Like 3

I won't be watching that documentary again anytime soon.

I ran out of tissues.

I feel the same way. As a matter of fact I wanted to watch it but keep putting it off because I knew it would be emotional for me. Towards the end my poor 11 year old daughter probably thought someone died because I just broke down and sobbed at the end. Not sure I can watch it again for awhile. :(

• Like 1

I was just thinking that exact thing today. I was listening to Snakes & Arrows Live and when Natural Science came on I was overcome with grief that it is really over. I was in tears while I was listening. How can three guys mean so much to so many because of doing something that they love? It's surreal. I get why Neal has arrived at his decision, but I am struggling with not feeling a bit of resentment towards him. I am heartbroken that there will most likely be no more albums to look forward to. No more concerts and DVD's. No more Rush. Sigh

That's a quote from the documentary, Catherine. Have you see it? It's a tear jerker. Really made me realize what I said to Segue above. I never, not even with the Moodies (and I adored and idolized them in the seventies), would have gone to the lengths many Rush fans have gone through, whether it be collecting stuff or going to concert after concert.

But I still love :rush: and their music and I know that they have affected me as no other band has since the Moodies.

• Like 1

I ran out of tissues.

I feel the same way. As a matter of fact I wanted to watch it but keep putting it off because I knew it would be emotional for me. Towards the end my poor 11 year old daughter probably thought someone died because I just broke down and sobbed at the end. Not sure I can watch it again for awhile. :(

Too bad we didn't watch it together. That's when I ran out of tissues.

A real tear jerker.

I wouldn't advise watching it as a pick-me-up if a Rush fan is feeling sad.

the arrangements of their songs. when i found a farewell to kings it was so much better than kiss, ted nugent or aerosmith. a farewell to kings is still my favorite rush album. i dropped the needle on it and i've never been the same since.
  • Like 3

I ran out of tissues.

Too bad we didn't watch it together. That's when I ran out of tissues.

A real tear jerker.

I wouldn't advise watching it as a pick-me-up if a Rush fan is feeling sad.

Yes. That would have been much better. We could have had a glass of wine and a good cry. :cosmo:

• Like 1

Rush is a band that makes you think. The technicality in the music mixed with the complex themes in the lyrics really makes you stop and think about things for a while.

Rush also has something for everyone. There was a natural evolution of their music that led to so many different styles. From the Zeppelin-esque debut, to the epic sidelong tracks, to the mainstream hard rock, to the Police-esque synthesizers, and all the folky ballads in between, there is a little something for any music fan.

And finally, Geddy Lee and his classic bass tone inspired me to pick up the bass guitar myself. Coupled with a rekindling of my early childhood love for the piano, Rush has made me want to be a better musician every day.

• Like 4

Oh I'm sure we will get more dvd's. I am sure they have more live footage in the vaults.

• Like 2

Oh I'm sure we will get more dvd's. I am sure they have more live footage in the vaults.

We won't see anything next year but in two years it will be the 40 year anniversary of Hemispheres. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a DVD (with some archival footage) surfaces then. Or certainly in 2021--- the 40 year anniversary of Moving Pictures. And even between that, they could do the 40 year anniversary for PeW. The number of possible DVDs, re-releases, etc. are almost endless.

• Like 1

Its hard to explain. I've never experienced such a feeling from music before. Certain songs just gave me a warm euphoric feeling and a sense of nostalgia, others were like a warm loving embrace while still others just lifted my spirits so high nothing could bring them down.

I've come to idolize them. Its like Neils lyrics not only helped me rediscover myself but its kinda like Rush nutured me and helped me grow into the person I am today. They'll always be my heroes, but I swear I've felt kinda lost since late last year when it finally set in that they were done.

• Like 1

So many reasons,great musicians,lyrics and how they kept on changing with the times,for better or worse,without losing their identity.

Over here(Ozland)Rush aren't well known .All my mates were jumping around to Midnight Oil or INXS or snoozing to Floyd or the Eagles,i was into Rush.

• Like 2