Your personal rating of the album 2112 B-side?

Texas King

2112 B-side rating  

52 members have voted

1. 1. 2112 B-side rating

• ★☆☆☆☆
    • ★★☆☆☆
    • ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

There is nothing wrong with 2112 as a whole. People that think otherwise are teens (and I welcome them) just getting into Rush. 2112 is a near perfect album from start to end.

Sorry to prove you wrong with your stereotyping, but I'm almost 30 and listen to Rush since 2007.

He mentioned teens just getting into rush. You've been into Rush for nearly 10 years, so I don't think your included in his stereotype.

B sides are for singles ;)

Interesting that Mercury records initially wanted side 2 of the album to be side 1. There's a good chance this forum wouldn't be here today if that had happened.

Time everlasting. Time to play b sides

3/5

The Studio version of Passage is meh. ESL's version is my only go to version of that song. It's outstanding. But we are rating the studio recording.

Twilight Zone is a decent tune but nothing really special.

Tears is a great tune for me personally.

Lessons a standard rocker.

Something For Nothing is a monster. That is what pushed side B to 3 stars for me. If all the songs were on that level it would be a 5 star side.

I really love 2112 as a whole. But 3 of the 5 tunes on side B are average Rush songs and have not aged well IMO.

I give it a 4.

All good, solid songs (but probably not any cracking my top 20 list) except for Tears. They would be in the 20's/30s in my list.

Disappointed that I never got to see Lessons or Something For Nothing live.

Interesting that Mercury records initially wanted side 2 of the album to be side 1. There's a good chance this forum wouldn't be here today if that had happened.

I have always theorized that CoS may have been more popular had the sides been reversed. And the album called The Fountain of Lamneth. Lesson learned, obviously. Of course, there are other factors. They sound a little unsure of themselves on CoS, whereas on 2112 they sound very confident. And the album would probably not have been dynamite, but I think it would've climbed higher than whatever it did, 132 or something on the charts.

Edited by Wil1972

I have always theorized that CoS may have been more popular had the sides been reversed. And the album called The Fountain of Lamneth. Lesson learned, obviously. Of course, there are other factors. They sound a little unsure of themselves on CoS, whereas on 2112 they sound very confident. And the album would probably not have been dynamite, but I think it would've climbed higher than whatever it did, 132 or something on the charts.

I blame the release of hit songs "Mamma Mia" and "Why Can't We Be Friends?" that same year for stealing all of CoS's thunder.

• Like 1

I blame the release of hit songs "Mamma Mia" and "Why Can't We Be Friends?" that same year for stealing all of CoS's thunder.

I love ABBA!!!

Funny to note! It seems Geddy Alex and Neil ripped off the wardrobe idea from ABBA in 1976!!!

Rush should have opened for ABBA in 1976.

• Like 2

Haha :LOL:

I love ABBA!!!

Funny to note! It seems Geddy Alex and Neil ripped off the wardrobe idea from ABBA in 1976!!!

Rush should have opened for ABBA in 1976.

Imagine the crowd reaction to that! It reminds me of Ged's quote in the documentary about kids staying away from the stage when they played dances, as if the band had the plague.

• Like 2

I love ABBA!!!

And I love WAR!

:smoke:

My biggest problem with 2112 is that I never remember the second side.

An HONEST rating for each song:

Passage To Bangkok- 2/5

Twilight Zone- 3/5

Lessons- 2/5

Tears- 4

Something For Nothing- 2/5

It just isn't great...for all the complaints that they lost it after, say, Signals, I actually think these songs are mostly weaker than a lot of their nineties output. Sure, the playing is great but the songs? Nope.

Edited by Segue Myles

This is my by biggest problem with 2112 as an album experience

the epic is great.

side 2 to me comes off as an afterthought.

like........"oh yea they will want a side 2 won't they?"

however I love Bangkok and Something for Nothing

so.......2/5

Mick

5 stars! A Passage to Bangkok's great fun with a great riff, Lessons has great shifts between soft and loud, and crazy vocals, The Twilight Zone captures the feel of the show perfectly, Tears is a STUNNING ballad, with some of Geddy's best singing, and Something For Nothing's a blast of heavy rock!

2112 is easily my favorite Rush album, and possibly my favorite album EVER (either this or Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here)

• Like 1

5 stars! A Passage to Bangkok's great fun with a great riff, Lessons has great shifts between soft and loud, and crazy vocals, The Twilight Zone captures the feel of the show perfectly, Tears is a STUNNING ballad, with some of Geddy's best singing, and Something For Nothing's a blast of heavy rock!

2112 is easily my favorite Rush album, and possibly my favorite album EVER (either this or Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here)

:cheerleader: