2016 World Series Thread - The Series of Destiny - Cubs vs. Indians

The Analog Cub

Good game and good for baseball; Cub fans get a home win, and this way either Tribe wins in front of home crowd or Cubs stage historic comeback, though I personally would really like to avoid that last option.

Next year Cleveland will have Miller and Kluber still under contract, and Carrasco, Salazar, and (best everyday player Michael) Brantley back from injuries. No reason they wouldn't be able to win the Central again, and getting that far, would be even better positioned for the postseason with a healthy starting rotation. So not inconceivable that these teams could meet again as the Cubs should be contenders for several years with this group they've got. That would be cool... perennial juggernauts Cubs and Indians meeting repeatedly in the WS :D .

I enjoyed last night's game. The sing-along afterwards was pretty amazing.

The sing-along? Are they still singing Go Cubs Go while making the stupid "W" with their fingers? It's so cheesy, and one of the many reasons I'm a White Sox fan.

Any who, good luck to the Cubs. Good luck to the Indians. I just hope it's an epic series. :)

The sing-along? Are they still singing Go Cubs Go while making the stupid "W" with their fingers? It's so cheesy, and one of the many reasons I'm a White Sox fan.

Any who, good luck to the Cubs. Good luck to the Indians. I just hope it's an epic series. :)

Not sure when they started that singing business, but I just shut it off before that happens. There's no way that would drive me to be a White Sox fan.

Quite the performance by Chapman last night! I didn't think Go Cubs Go was too bad, after living with 35 years of the "Steeler Fight Polka"- talk about cheesy! Some of my earliest memories are of my grandma having the Cubs games on (although the other half of her house were White Sox fans) so- Good Luck Cubs !!

"What a job by Lester."

B-sh*t, he walked Guyer.

That was a Greg Maddux strike 3. Clearly off the plate, but since he hit the catcher's target perfectly, the ump calls it a strike.

A good call, given the circumstances.

I fought and fought and fought the temptation to get into this, but I can't help ask... how is calling a ball two inches outside the strike zone a strike, on a 3-2 count, with one out and a runner on third, a good call when not only is the ball not close to being a strike by the MLB rulebook, but not close to being a strike by the strike zone the ump had been calling all night? He hadn't called a ball one inch outside the zone a strike before or after that. I understand that pitchers tend to be given borderline pitches on two-strike counts, but that pitch wasn't close to being borderline, it was just a really bad call, at a really really bad time for the Indians. Huge difference between having a guy on third with one out as opposed to two outs. That potentially game-tying run turned out to be the winning margin. Maybe the Indians don't score him from third anyway, but that should be determined by the players not the ump. Calls like that just feed the "we need robots calling balls and strikes" crowd.

"What a job by Lester."

B-sh*t, he walked Guyer.

That was a Greg Maddux strike 3. Clearly off the plate, but since he hit the catcher's target perfectly, the ump calls it a strike.

I agree, that call did remind me of the mid-90s when Eric Gregg was calling strikes on balls four inches outside the zone, and NL umps in general were giving pitchers two inches off the plate, as if Maddux, Glavin and Smoltz needed any help: the '95 game 6 series win by the Braves over the Indians was ridiculous; 1-0 game where only offense was a David Justice solo shot; give Glavin an extra two inches each way and he's practically unhittable. Baseball recognized it had a problem and reigned in umps who wanted to make up their own strike zones. For the most part that's been successful, but as Hirschbeck demonstrated Friday, there are still umps who refuse to be bothered by recognized norms. The Guyer strike out last night wasn't really representative of a pattern I thought, it was just a blown call. Bad time to blow a call like that.

It's all they have. Let them sing...
  • Like 1

Man the Cubs certainly have the fashionable celeb market cornered in this series. There's an army of them, looking weepy and earnest for each camera shot. Was surprised Hillary wasn't there with a luxury box, being a Cubs fan when she isn't a Yankees fan (depends what office she's running for). Poor Cleveland has Drew Carey, Martin Mull, and Tom Hanks; not a long list but apart from Bill Murray, at least we got the funny ones. And "Cleveland Rocks" blows away that Vedder granola sing along for sure.

"What a job by Lester."

B-sh*t, he walked Guyer.

......give Glavine an extra two inches each way and he's practically unhittable.

I agree. If the ump gives any good pitcher such a strike zone, he'll be unhittable. The batter is at a huge disadvantage. He'll either have to crowd the plate (and be vulnerable to the inside pitch), or he'll have to swing at any borderline outside pitch, just to protect himself.

Edited by Principled Man

I just heard that if there is a Game 7, the Indians are having Steve Bartman throw out the first pitch.

;) ;)

The people in Cleveland had way too many 3-1 memes with the Cavs and Warriors.

Now it's looking like they might pay the price.

ONTO GAME 7

That would be a cruel twist of fate indeed!

ONTO GAME 7

My heart and soul are with you.

I had my Addy and Bryant auto rookie graded cards on my mantel tonight.

God. They both went deep tonight.

Seriously.

I'm not touching them.

ONTO GAME 7

I'm a Cleveland fan and even I was annoyed at all that krahp. Luckily for me, I just don't associate baseball and basketball so I just compartmentalized all that, but probably not true for other fans. That stuff was bad juju considering the Indians' position.

Two Cleveland friends of mine both commented, after game 4, that it would be a nice symmetry to win the series on the road as that is what the Cavs did. I commented that there is a more obvious symmetry, that being a comeback on the road from down 1-3, so maybe we should stop talking about symmetry.

For the record, I wasn't confident or cocky at all after game 4. I knew we had bad matchups going in 5 and 6. After game 2 was desperately hoping there would be a game 7. After game 4, no longer wanted a game 7 of course, but expected it. Almost resigned to it. So here we are. At least if Cleveland loses, it won't be to another team like the '97 Marlins, whose fans complained that the game 7 11-inning win kept them out after midnight.