A discussion thread about Eddie Trunk, old metal vs modern metal, 80s hair metal and other things.

fraroc

Eddie Trunk....What can be said about him?

For starters, he is quite a controversial figure in the heavy metal community for his opinions about certain things that go against the norm of what metalheads agree on. For example, a lot of people who are fans of the current lineup of KISS (such as myself) don't like the fact that he has blasted Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley and are against the Spaceman and Catman makeup being worn by other people other than Ace and Peter.

There are a lot of things that I don't really overly like about him. A lot of common arguments against Eddie Trunk and the way he ran That Metal Show, his podcast, and his opinions as a whole is that he doesn't give a shit about modern heavy melodic bands and only wants to give attention to older bands that never got the attention they got. And that is based in truth....will you ever see him mention bands like Lacuna Coil or Kamelot or Nightwish on his podcast? Or if TMS was still around, would he ever have Cristina Scabbia or Amy Lee on as a guest? His attention is geared 100% towards older bands. While there is definitely nothing wrong with supporting older bands, he doesn't seem to realize that there are young and hungry metal bands that want to break out and taste success...Unfortunately for him...It seems that he had the same mentality I had for a long time, which was "Why bother? Rock is dying anyway." I discovered that so long as there are more Lacuna Coils or Delains out there getting started, rock/ metal will never die.

However, there are some things that I do agree with him on, and that is the unfair ridicule that 80s hard rock gets. He really does have a point on how even after the whole grunge thing died out in the late 1990s, the whole "f**k hair metal" mentality truly never ended. He even mentioned once, look at classic rock radio. You'll hear 70s rock/southern rock like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Marshall Tucker Band, Bob Dylan, Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd...and then it jumps straight into Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains and other than Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard or Livin On a Prayer by Bon Jovi or Here I go Again by Whitesnake, the 1980s as a whole would be generally ignored. However, I believe that nowadays, the anti-hair metal mentality is more fueled by metal elitism as a whole and not the whole "it's all style over substance" argument.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

TL DR version: There are some things that he has a good point on, but I wish that he would at least give modern heavy melodic music a chance and realize that music post-1990s have a little more to offer than just Britney Spears or One Direction.

Edited by fraroc

I liked the time he had on Lzzy Hale from Hailstorm, and Andy Biersack from Black Veil Brides, but that was about the only time I saw new artists on That Metal Show. I enjoyed the one with Geddy a lot! :P
  • Like 2

Not sure I understand OP's point. Sounds like you are saying not enough 80s era guests while complaining that there weren't enough new acts. If you look up his guest list he actually had a lot of 80s era guests. I always thought they should include more newer acts to continue the genre.

Just my 2 cents on Eddie

He worked at Alwick Records in the Morris County Mall in the early 1980s .. I would go there when I was in middle and high school, and Eddie was an arrogant prick back who treated everyone like he was somehow closer to the music and the bands ..

Some things never change

He's a step below ( or above ? ) Riki Rachtman on the parasite totem pole

• Like 3

And while I'm on a roll in this thread, some of my all time favorite albums:

http://e.snmc.io/lk/f/l/fa309f19dcaa96da5c86920fec5fcd00/3335147.jpg

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/media/poison_look_what_the_cat_dragged_in.jpg

http://img2-ak.lst.fm/i/u/300x300/6c5b8cfc5c8cb1316355aaaeaa650a0e.jpg

And if you like 80s metal, this band does it now better than most did back then

skulldaze.png

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Yeah,Trunk would have no interest in that. I could never take him all that serious. I remember him bringing up f***in UFO every show.. or so it seemed. Annoying.

In that sense, he's not wrong though. UFO and Y&T are very underrated and should have gotten more attention. But taking every chance to remind us how great they are and how they should have been more popular in the 80s whilst ignoring good modern bands like Ghost and Delain is what bothers me more.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

And BTW, I really dig Celtic Frost now, they almost remind me of Type O Negative at times.

It's the other way around actually. Celtic Frost was around well before Type O.

I know that, but a few of the songs on that album that Ancient Ways posted had reminded me of songs like Unsuccessfully Coping.

Yeah,Trunk would have no interest in that. I could never take him all that serious. I remember him bringing up f***in UFO every show.. or so it seemed. Annoying.

In that sense, he's not wrong though. UFO and Y&T are very underrated and should have gotten more attention. But taking every chance to remind us how great they are and how they should have been more popular in the 80s whilst ignoring good modern bands like Ghost and Delain is what bothers me more.

If UFO was a stock, Eddie would have wasted 25 years trying to get us to buy it.

'BUY,BUY,BUY...THIS STOCK WILL TAKE OFF'

That being said UFO is a very average band with great musicians.

Think Damn Yankees but European. Never got ANY airplay in the US, never, ever will understand why Eddie wants to shove it down our throats constantly ....We get it...move on hippie

If UFO was a stock, Eddie would have wasted 25 years trying to get us to buy it.

'BUY,BUY,BUY...THIS STOCK WILL TAKE OFF'

That being said UFO is a very average band with great musicians.

Think Damn Yankees but European. Never got ANY airplay in the US, never, ever will understand why Eddie wants to shove it down our throats constantly ....We get it...move on hippie

Honestly, it's probably for the same reason you just gave. UFO never got the success they deserved in the US. He does border on obsessive though.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents on Eddie

He worked at Alwick Records in the Morris County Mall in the early 1980s .. I would go there when I was in middle and high school, and Eddie was an arrogant prick back who treated everyone like he was somehow closer to the music and the bands ..

Some things never change

I bought my records in Livingston and I think I saw him there a few times.

The guy managed to make a career out of his musical narrowmindedness so I'd guess you's at least have to give credit for that.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents on Eddie

Some things never change

I bought my records in Livingston and I think I saw him there a few times.

The guy managed to make a career out of his musical narrowmindedness so I'd guess you's at least have to give credit for that.

Was it at Sam Goody, or did Alwik have another location ??

Edited by Lucas