What would Grace Under Pressure have sounded like if Terry Brown produced it?

grasbo

lol. I LOVE signals or i did last i listened to Rush, lol

But i love Segue's relationship with it way more, lol

makes me giggle.

not cause he's right or wrong. it's the passion of his dislike for it, lol

Mick

Segue may have a point in GuP sounding better.

I don't like the way The Weapon sounded. It wasn't sharp enough.

It's been remastered several times.

• Like 1

Segue may have a point in GuP sounding better.

I don't like the way The Weapon sounded. It wasn't sharp enough.

It's been remastered several times.

What's the best version then? Please point me in the right direction.

Sector version then '97 remaster

I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.

Which kind of defeats the purpose. It's not going to sound as good on YouTube.

I just want to see if I can hear the difference between that one and the one I posted.

I know the one i have on my thumb drive has a good sound but I don't know which edition of Signals I have.

Better.

The synth on Grace Under Pressure was very jarring to me. My hope would be Terry would have tone that Tai Shan down. That the album would have more a pure bass, drum, guitar sound.

• Like 1

Signals sounds crap

GUP is perfect

I have dispatched brown shirted uniformed thugs to your home.

minority again but i've always thought Grace's production was far inferior to Signals. like a HUGE step down

Mick

• Like 1

Signals sounds crap

GUP is perfect

I have dispatched brown shirted uniformed thugs to your home.

minority again but i've always thought Grace's production was far inferior to Signals. like a HUGE step down

Mick

It's as if you truly know and understand me...

• Like 1

makes me giggle.

Mick

I like Signals. But for all those who slate my music taste...it's blander sounding than most Bon Jovi.

I hear nothing special overall! Three killer songs and two overrated fan favourites and MEH MEH MEH!

Grace Under Pressure just sounds to me like the record everyone hears when they play Signals.

I love Grace Under Pressure but I always found there was something strange about the way it sounded. It might just be me but it's a fuzzy album, with jarring keyboards and a weird guitar sound--it kind of adds to the atmosphere of the whole thing, though, so I don't know if I would change it.

I'd like to hear Terry's GuP just to compare, definitely, but, actually, as long as we're theorycrafting the "what-if's" I'd love to hear what Rupert Hine would've done with it. :LOL:

It was supposed to sound like that...like a barrage of sounds and images coming at you that seem difficult to identify.

For me, that's part of the charm of the album. It's also very cold with respect to the warm sound of Signals.

I love Grace Under Pressure but I always found there was something strange about the way it sounded. It might just be me but it's a fuzzy album, with jarring keyboards and a weird guitar sound--it kind of adds to the atmosphere of the whole thing, though, so I don't know if I would change it.

I'd like to hear Terry's GuP just to compare, definitely, but, actually, as long as we're theorycrafting the "what-if's" I'd love to hear what Rupert Hine would've done with it. :LOL:

It was supposed to sound like that...like a barrage of sounds and images coming at you that seem difficult to identify.

For me, that's part of the charm of the album. It's also very cold with respect to the warm sound of Signals.

There was a major change in instrumentation too, though. I think that was also a large part of it.

• Like 2

makes me giggle.

Mick

I like Signals. But for all those who slate my music taste...it's blander sounding than most Bon Jovi.

I hear nothing special overall! Three killer songs and two overrated fan favourites and MEH MEH MEH!

Grace Under Pressure just sounds to me like the record everyone hears when they play Signals.

You are going to lengths much greater than you need to, in order to justify your own tastes.

Don't sweat it!

• Like 2

makes me giggle.

Mick

and touche.....Cause signals sounds to me what you might hear in Grace, lol

Mick

I think the better question would be: what would GUP sound like if Steve Lillywhite had produced it?

The album he did instead of GUP, Sparkle In the Rain, by Simple Minds, might give us a clue. While I absolutely love everything SM did up to that album, Sparkle In the Rain is a bit of a mess. Rush should be happy Lillywhite blew them off.

Edited by sonoflife
  • Like 2

makes me giggle.

Mick

You are going to lengths much greater than you need to, in order to justify your own tastes.

Don't sweat it!

Agreed.......just kick back and enjoy what you enjoy.

Mick

• Like 1

I remember in Beyond the Lighted Stage, the band wanted to do more with synths and that led to the parting of the ways with Terry. For me, GUP was the album that got me into Rush, I was listening to it over and over when I stumbled on this board and then I started listening to Signals and the older albums. I enjoy the songs a lot and just played it in my car the other day, never get tired of it :heart:
  • Like 4

Hmm didn't think this topic would get this much traffic.Anyway as i originally said i love GUP and i wouldn't change a thing.Interestingly somebody posted that it all

sounds the same where as there was more variation on previous albums.Many reasons for that.Its a dark sounding album all minor keys and ominuos keyboards and

acres of reverb.Alex's guitar sounds like he's in a canyon.I remember reading that on Red Sector A that on the solo he was going for a lonely sound and he got it.

I think its perfect.But i think Terry would have made it drier and made it more in your face.Also music technology really jumped ahead during this and Rush embraced it.This is

where i said that the old crowd lost it with them.It was no longer just plug into a Marshall and let rip(Marshall amplifiers are the bees knees for any heavy band).It was keyboards,

electronic drums,even Alex changed all his gear.Everything was becoming more digitalised ,processed and less organic in the 80s unless your JJ Cale.I think Terry said in Beyond The

Lighted Stage that the band was moving in a direction away from their original sound.Some don't like change,just imagine if AC/DC did an album of acoustic ballads.Rush really changed

on GUP more than Signals and for me it kept me wondering what they would do next.I keep an open mind.

Edited by grasbo

Geddy on Signals, July 1984:

"We didn't get what we were looking for on Signals," he says. "It was a very schizoid record. By the time we finished, we realized, 'We're a little lost, we're losing perspective on ourselves.'"

Here's the article, released in conjunction with the making Of Grace Under Pressure - and IMHO, it is loaded with an interesting combination of justification, denial and contradiction

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/international-musician-07.1984.php

• Like 4

Interesting article Lucas,never read that one.When they talk of Tears For Fears and Supertramp producers that would have alienated the old

crowd as well as changing clothes and haircuts.If they had said lets use Martin Birch(Purple,Maiden)perhaps the old guard would have stayed.

I feel if Terry did GUP it would be a tougher album.

• Like 1