Did Led Zeppelin Steal The Opening Notes To Stairway To Heaven?

g under p

Zeppelin's deep pockets make them an easy target. If Zeppelin loses, they can always sue RUSH and 100 other bands that ripped them off more blatantly than this lawsuit claims Zep did to Spirit. Edited by goose
  • Like 4

Listened to that earlier today. When the 2010 you tube OP said...here is the riff Zep stole, I had a feeling they may be in trouble. Wow, its like note for note.
  • Like 1

Listened to that earlier today. When the 2010 you tube OP said...here is the riff Zep stole, I had a feeling they may be in trouble. Wow, its like note for note.

Hardly note for note. Same key and tempo at the outset, but very different notes. And then a quick departure.

• Like 2

Hardly note for note. Same key and tempo at the outset, but very different notes. And then a quick departure.

They had me fooled, as im a novice with the guitar

I could never be impartial on a jury with them, I'd be mezmorized with Page Plant. Man it sucks they never toured after that London show.

Saw recording of Plant singing Zep at a Euro fest feom a couple years ago (2014?). He sounded good, was like man cmon get Page n go!

I could never be impartial on a jury with them, I'd be mezmorized with Page Plant. Man it sucks they never toured after that London show.

Saw recording of Plant singing Zep at a Euro fest feom a couple years ago (2014?). He sounded good, was like man cmon get Page n go!

Jason Bonham would probably tour with them if they ever decided to tour however like RUSH they will never again have a major tour.

I appreciate Plant's stubbornness in not reforming Led Zeppelin. I like my icons locked in greatness.

• Like 3

Not the same. And hey, cool Rikk Emmet video. I just noticed Adrenaline Mob´s All on the Line has some similarities with Triumph´s Lay it on the Line, particularly on the chorus. Check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz26fcmq3S8

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/JT64JH-Vh98

http://www.mercuryne...s-trial-tuesday

The trial began yesterday......what do you think?

Thanks for posting this video. I loved it, and it put quite the smile :) on my face a few times. Especially Rick Derringer. :LOL:

Well, I loved Spirit (my very first concert experience in 1969) and i love Led Zep.

They do sound almost the same, but not quite. I agree that it's a money grab.

• Like 2

I appreciate Plant's stubbornness in not reforming Led Zeppelin. I like my icons locked in greatness.

It's much too late in their lives for that. They're a shell of what they where, so why bother. A reunited Zeppelin at any point in the past 30 years would be an obvious money-grab. Much like Pink Floyd, their creative output peaked in the late 70s.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this video. I loved it, and it put quite the smile :) on my face a few times. Especially Rick Derringer. :LOL:

Well, I loved Spirit (my very first concert experience in 1969) and i love Led Zep.

So are we going to open the door for everyone that's lifted a blues riff over the years? Cmon man.

• Like 1

Sounds like the Rush/Journey argument in another thread somewhere.

A finite group of notes, and a finite way you can assemble them to create something relatable to people. But it's how you layer melodies over top and arrange parts and create different grooves underneath that makes songs distinct.

I write songs and often wonder if there are songs out there that I've never heard that are almost identical to what I've put together.

• Like 3

Not the same. And hey, cool Rikk Emmet video. I just noticed Adrenaline Mob´s All on the Line has some similarities with Triumph´s Lay it on the Line, particularly on the chorus. Check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz26fcmq3S8

That's funny they talk about that very thing in the video I posted. My view on this is that the opening is similar but not the same to award money or any rights to those who have brought this case forward.

I can remember driving my daughter to school some years ago and I heard for the time that song by Robin Thicke. The very first thing came to my mind was the a song by Marvin Gaye. At the time I couldn't remember the name of the song....the bassline I kept saying I know that song I know that song. I was so so glad that Marvin Gaye's family won that case because that was a straight up rip off of a classic Gaye song through and through.

• Like 2

So are we going to open the door for everyone that's lifted a blues riff over the years? Cmon man.

Pardon me. Man. But you misunderstood what I wrote.

According to the book I read, Robert wants little to nothing to do with Jimmy.

Why is that, Lorraine?

He blamed Jimmy and his dabbling into the occult for his son's death, and the accident he and his wife were in, and Bonzo's death.

All this Led Zep talk makes me want to go listen to the song most TRFers despise - Kashmir! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Why is that, Lorraine?

He blamed Jimmy and his dabbling into the occult for his son's death, and the accident he and his wife were in, and Bonzo's death.

All this Led Zep talk makes me want to go listen to the song most TRFers despise - Kashmir! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Who despises "Kashmir"?!?!?!

• Like 2

Why is that, Lorraine?

Who despises "Kashmir"?!?!?!

I'll find my thread on it and post the link and you will find out.

• Like 1