Xanadu vs Octavarium

AnEggplant

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which prog epic shall reign supreme?

I played Octavarium live this week...it was really boring tbh.

Xanadu is great! All the time!

Replace Octavarium with Count Of Tuscany, and you will find a different answer.

oh my heart, lol

you always hurt me Segue, lol

Mick

I am sorry dude...it just never ended! The studio version is awesome though.

Count Of Tuscany is one of my favourite discoveries of 2015, and I love it so much!

A Nightmare To Remember is way better than Count of Tuscany.

• Like 2

oh my heart, lol

Mick

Count Of Tuscany is one of my favourite discoveries of 2015, and I love it so much!

Not going to argue. I love the whole of Black Clouds!

• Like 1

As I Am is pretty melodic. Take the Time. Forsaken. Pull Me Under of course. Hollow Years. The Lie...

There can be some melody found somewhere among all that wanking. :guitar: :yes:

Doesn't really count when it's buried under mountains of masterbation. :P

• Like 1

Well I don't find DT to be one of the best melodic bands around, but I enjoy them, and in the right mood I enjoy them A LOT! Very inventive, obviously talented and mostly really enjoyable.

I get the criticism, sometimes they sound like they are forcing it, but is that really bad? To want to create good music, but push it to the next level?! I think not.

When it comes to modern prog metal, Mastodon and Opeth still take the lead. But in so many ways, I find DT easier to listen too.

• Like 1

Well I don't find DT to be one of the best melodic bands around, but I enjoy them, and in the right mood I enjoy them A LOT! Very inventive, obviously talented and mostly really enjoyable.

I get the criticism, sometimes they sound like they are forcing it, but is that really bad? To want to create good music, but push it to the next level?! I think not.

When it comes to modern prog metal, Mastodon and Opeth still take the lead. But in so many ways, I find DT easier to listen too.

I haven't heard Mastadon, but I can't stand Opeth. Maybe I'm crazy but I think they sound great musically and then cookie monster pops in to growl in some unintelligible language. If only they had normal vocals instead of the obnoxious growling I might love them.

I haven't heard Mastadon, but I can't stand Opeth. Maybe I'm crazy but I think they sound great musically and then cookie monster pops in to growl in some unintelligible language. If only they had normal vocals instead of the obnoxious growling I might love them.

Hes dropped rhe growling the last few albums.

• Like 1

Hes dropped rhe growling the last few albums.

That's good to know, I might give those a listen then!

oh my heart, lol

Mick

it is. I like Count......but it is slightly overrated. it's got that whole ambient guitar section that's just........boring. Nightmare wins all the way.

Mick

I just listened to Octavarium for the first time. Impressive.

Xanadu wins.

Dream Theater has talent. Maybe one day they'll make it big

They couldn't be bigger than they were with "Metroplois" album, now they are getting smaller on each of their last releases!

Octawho-what now??

Freaking Xanadu man, come on. . ;)

• Like 1

As much as I like DT, they are mere dust in the wind compared to the greatness of Rush.

DT are fun and addictive, but delete them from history and I doubt the music landscape would look any different.

• Like 1

Xanadu just makes it.Dream Theater can be mind boggling technically over the top and all that fiddling about drives my wife nuts.Yes the opening sounds like that Floyd band but it is much more than that,just beautiful,and Petrucci's solo at the end is magic.At this moment I am trying to take in all of The Astonishing.How the hell are they going to remember all of this live is beyond me.At least Xanadu is all done in under 12 minutes.
  • Like 2