The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I Love Priest but yea point of entry sucks. it just is SO flat.

I need to do a proper run one day.

i actually started with the first 2. wasn't feeling it at the moment. one day though.

Mick

Really? I absolutely love the album, didn't even know it was unpopular to like it ������

Have you ever listened to British Steel, Point Of Entry and Screaming For Vengeance all in row? The flatness and lack of energy on Point Of Entry is very obvious if you listen to it that way. Try it some time if you haven't. Maybe you will notice the same thing I do and be completely baffled as to how this was the same band that released two classics like British Steel and Screaming For Vengeance while putting out such a bland album in between them.

Point Of Entry sounds like an album that any band who was playing that style of music could have come up with in 1981.

I played Killing Machine through to Vengeance all in one sitting, and loved it all.

I don't need to be told how to hear music lol, Point Of Entry is my favourite album from that album until Painkiller without a doubt

• Like 1

Thank You!

At least I'm not the only one who hears this lol.

the production is Atrociously life sucking. so even if there is a good tune. it's sucked of all life.

Mick

Thank You!

the production is Atrociously life sucking. so even if there is a good tune. it's sucked of all life.

Mick

And yet Presto is okay... (I love it too lol)

Thank You!

Mick

i don't think presto is that bad. just up the bass. and it's got one of my fav neil drum sounds. now RTB........oh boy, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Thank You!

Mick

i don't think presto is that bad. just up the bass. and it's got one of my fav neil drum sounds. now RTB........oh boy, lol

Mick

Haha I love RTB and how it sounds, it's unique in their canon!

I dunno, I love Point Of Entry and never considered it uncool to rate it highly.

• Like 1

I have no problem with the sound of Point Of Entry...I like the fact the albums sounds different, feel the same way about Turbo

You and me both!

Turbo has a less metal feel than Ram It Down, but for me it's got the better songs

As for Point Of Entry, I think it's just a wonderful, breezy rock album!

• Like 2

I have no problem with the sound of Point Of Entry...I like the fact the albums sounds different, feel the same way about Turbo

You and me both!

Turbo has a less metal feel than Ram It Down, but for me it's got the better songs

A breezy album? Well, I think that finally explains the foul oder that comes my way when I listen to it.

You and me both!

A breezy album? Well, I think that finally explains the foul oder that comes my way when I listen to it.

Hyperbole. It's not a terrible album, and certainly doesn't deserve to be spoken of like it's St. Anger or Hot Space. Regardless of the superiority of many other Priest albums, it's a fantastic album in its own right.

You and me both!

Hyperbole. It's not a terrible album, and certainly doesn't deserve to be spoken of like it's St. Anger or Hot Space. Regardless of the superiority of many other Priest albums, it's a fantastic album in its own right.

Oh no, nothing is in the same category of awful as St. Anger. It deserves every bit of hate it gets until the end of time. Metallica was lucky that they have such a massive fan base that loves them enough to give them another chance. As you said before, there are very few bands big enough to survive that big of a disaster.

You and me both!

I agree that Turbo is better. I enjoy material from all eras of Halford Priest, but I tend to prefer their melodic side to their "howling and hurtling" side. In any event, I like both of those albums, certainly more than most Priest fans do, and I'm always happy to see positive comments about them.

You and me both!

Oh no, nothing is in the same category of awful as St. Anger. It deserves every bit of hate it gets until the end of time. Metallica was lucky that they have such a massive fan base that loves them enough to give them another chance. As you said before, there are very few bands big enough to survive that big of a disaster.

It's a puzzle because to me, St. Anger had potentially good material, but somehow they approved it sounding like shit, and the songs are, at best, stage one demos.

I will never understand why they were ok with releasing it, and not just them, but everyone around them.

• Like 1

You and me both!

It's a puzzle because to me, St. Anger had potentially good material, but somehow they approved it sounding like shit, and the songs are, at best, stage one demos.

I will never understand why they were ok with releasing it, and not just them, but everyone around them.

because lars thought the drums were amazing, lol. Fukk lars.......seriously.

Mick

You and me both!

I agree that Turbo is better. I enjoy material from all eras of Halford Priest, but I tend to prefer their melodic side to their "howling and hurtling" side. In any event, I like both of those albums, certainly more than most Priest fans do, and I'm always happy to see positive comments about them.

I'm going to be controversial here, I would take Turbo over every post-Painkiller album EXCEPT Firepower. I also like the experimental Nostradamus more than most. I find both Angel and Redeemer lacklustre in the song departments. That is not to say they are bad, I just think they are underwhelming.

Maiden had a far far better late period....albeit needing of editing...then priest. BUT......honestly and some will disagree......ii like Firepower over ANY late Maien.

Mick

Definitely. I'm also going to say Priest don't have any albums as bad as the Blaze era, even the Ripper albums.

It's hard to know for me which band I love more.

• Like 1

You and me both!

I'm going to be controversial here, I would take Turbo over every post-Painkiller album EXCEPT Firepower. I also like the experimental Nostradamus more than most. I find both Angel and Redeemer lacklustre in the song departments. That is not to say they are bad, I just think they are underwhelming.

I appreciate your Turbo appreciation. I might be controversial with my opinions on the post-Painkiller material too, but for different reasons. I don't like Firepower as much as most people do, but I think Angel and Redeemer have a lot of solid songs in general and a number that I consider great (Judas Rising, Worth Fighting For, Angel, Redeemer of Souls, Cold Blooded).

You and me both!

I appreciate your Turbo appreciation. I might be controversial with my opinions on the post-Painkiller material too, but for different reasons. I don't like Firepower as much as most people do, but I think Angel and Redeemer have a lot of solid songs in general and a number that I consider great (Judas Rising, Worth Fighting For, Angel, Redeemer of Souls, Cold Blooded).

I was cool on Firepower but it won me over. I actually really like Nostradamus the most of the three pre-Firepower albums. I also don't think Jugulator or Demolition are totally awful either.

You and me both!

I was cool on Firepower but it won me over. I actually really like Nostradamus the most of the three pre-Firepower albums. I also don't think Jugulator or Demolition are totally awful either.

Nostradamus is cool. I like a bunch of tracks on it, especially Conquest, and a lot of the little transitional tunes work well too. I do think they stretched it a bit far, though. Some of the songs are too long or just not very good.

Maiden had a far far better late period....albeit needing of editing...then priest. BUT......honestly and some will disagree......ii like Firepower over ANY late Maien.

Mick

Firepower blows the last four Maiden albums away. I would also take Angel Of Retribution and Redeemer over those albums too. Priest gets to the point on those albums and doesn't turn it into an over bloated self love affair like Maiden has to do. Not everything needs to be this huge prog masterpiece in order to be good.

• Like 1

Mick

Firepower blows the last four Maiden albums away. I would also take Angel Of Retribution and Redeemer over those albums too. Priest gets to the point on those albums and doesn't turn it into an over bloated self love affair like Maiden has to do. Not everything needs to be this huge prog masterpiece in order to be good.

The best prog bands also mastered the art of the short (or normal length) song.

Mick

i love late period Madien i do. but i have to mentally prepare myself each time for an hour plus of.....Slow Beginning......verse Chorus, verse Chorus, guitar solo, repeat chorus, bigger guitar solo, Chorus Chorus, Chorus.........slow end.....wind effect. Exhausting just reading that right? lol.

Firepower.....i'd take over any later Maiden.

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

i love late period Madien i do. but i have to mentally prepare myself each time for an hour plus of.....Slow Beginning......verse Chorus, verse Chorus, guitar solo, repeat chorus, bigger guitar solo, Chorus Chorus, Chorus.........slow end.....wind effect. Exhausting just reading that right? lol.

Mick

I don't mind that format but somebody needs to tell them that one song per album like that is good enough.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I don't mind that format but somebody needs to tell them that one song per album like that is good enough.

and they played in full A Matter of life and Death live........holy.......HELL, lol

i'd have taken a bathroom break honestly.

Mick

Mick

Mick

and they played in full A Matter of life and Death live........holy.......HELL, lol

i'd have taken a bathroom break honestly.

Mick

I didn't see them on that tour. They were in a period around that time where they weren't touring north America extensively and only hitting the main markets during this album cycle. They did the same when touring for Dance Of Death and Final Frontier too. I know a lot of people were pissed when they did the whole album live though. Even people who liked the album were like what the f**k is that?

I don't mind if a band wants to play a whole new album live. But you got to sprinkle in the classics every three or four songs to keep their attention. I remember when reading reviews for that tour and people kept saying that the crowd didn't wake up until the band started Fear Of The Dark which was like 80 mins into the show.

• Like 1