• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 NAO

NAO

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

Grace Under Pressure is my least favorite Rush album.  I actually dislike it.  (sorry to the 'you must love every album' crowd).

I was very disappointed when Signals came out (although I grew to like it) because of the keyboards and to what seemed to me to be a concession to conformity. I had an intense dislike of the "80's New Wave" sound.  I considered Rush to be my antidote to all the bands like A Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, and Wham.

I'd hoped that Signals was an "experimental album" and that they'd go back to a sound that was evolved from, but continuous with, their 74-81 stuff.

When P/G came out it was (for me) much worse than Signals.  It sounded way more like the 80's techno-pop I so despised, and it didnít even have the warm ethereal feel of Signals.  I didnít care for Power Windows when it came out, and I gave up on any new things that came out after PW until CP.  However, PW never sounded as bad as P/G; later I grew to like it.   Eventually even HYF grew on me.

I listened to P/G many times back in 1984, but it never grew on me.  I've tried again a few times over the years - especially after seeing how many people rate it so highly - but it still sounds like cold, dated techno-pop to me.  Itís not just that itís a Ďless than stellarí effort like Roll the Bones Ė it actually grates on me.

So, does anybody else dislike P/G?  

Can anyone put their finger on why someone would be able (with some time and effort) come to like Signals, Power Windows, and HYF, but still dislike P/G?

And for all those who rate P/G highly, what do you like about it?  Whatís there to love?  Iím still willing to spin up that CD and try (again)Öif I had some hints as to what look for.  What are the things that make so many people rate it as Ďone of the best RUSH albumsí?

Sponsored Post

#2 thing2jordan

thing2jordan

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1335 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

DON'T YOU BLASPHEME IN HERE!!!!  laugh.gif  

#3 analog guy

analog guy

The Seeker

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

I have never cared for P/G a great deal, although it is far from my least favorite Rush record.

And what is interesting about that is Signals is actually my favorite album. People often lump the two of them together because they seem to share many common sonic elements, but for whatever reason, Signals completely works for me while P/G does not.

I do not care for the production on P/G all that much. Part of that could be that Peter Henderson was a bit of a late choice and maybe not necessarily the right choice. I feel the drum sound is inferior to Signals, and there is a lot of sibilance on the vocals.

I'm also not a fan of the Simmons drums, which I find dated and cheesy. I think songs like Red Sector A and Red Lenses might have worked better without them.

I also feel that some of the emotion in Geddy's voice on certain songs sounds contrived and perhaps over-emphasized. I understand it was an emotional album to make, but I don't feel it.

Not to say that the album doesn't contain some great music.... it does. But for whatever reason it doesn't have quite as much repeat value to me as the albums that immediate precede it and follow it.

Edited by analog guy, 29 August 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#4 g under p

g under p

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4959 posts
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

This IS my #1  2.gif  album by far period. It might not be the best BUT it's the one album I will always come back to and listen intently. It was my first  2.gif concert, first  2.gif album I bought even though on initial listenings I wasn't that enthused about the songs but after seeing them live I was hooked on the album.

Red Sector A was the song that got my attention and the rest slowly followed one by one...Afterimage..awesome and so on I can listen to this album from beginning to end. I was jamming to it today as I did some late summer shopping. I can't put the record down.

Peace

#5 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20796 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

Signals still has a hard rock rebelliousness to it that Grace Under Pressure doesn't have. Funny thing is that the guitar is much more upfront.

I've grown to almost love Grace Under Pressure. I loved Signals when it came out and was expecting Grace to be about the same. However, it wasn't which made it a disappointing album initially.

#6 WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1825 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking, kayaking, roller hockey
    Bass guitar, Keys and Drums

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

I love Grace....and total change from Signals....but so good to me

It was 19...freaking...84...  A great time, and a great album!!!

I know the OP's question was "Does anyone else dislike p/g?"  And there will be some haters.....Not me.

Between The Wheels...Rocks
Distant Early Warning....Nothing sounded like it at the time...Ever
Red Sector A....Intense storyline...Great live.
Afterimage....Different....touching.....RUSH
The Enemy Within....Great tune.
Etc.
Etc.

I really enjoy cranking Grace Under Pressure. It's too bad the OP dislikes it enough to make a post about.

There is probably more RUSH dislike posts to come.  Bring it on.

#7 Xanadu93

Xanadu93

I'm a dude!

• Members *
  • 22391 posts
  • Interests:My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

also, music, sports, politics, reading, writing, and

Video Games: Ratchet & Clank series, Burnout 3: Takedown, Jak & Daxter series, Motor Storm, Pocket Tanks, Space Pinball

Movies: The Breakfast Club, Star Wars series, Forrest Gump, Full Metal Jacket, Pirates of the Caribbean series, The Green Mile, Epic Movie, Don't Be a Menace

TV Shows: Family Guy, American Dad, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, Teen Titans, The Simpsons, Deadliest Catch

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

Alex's awesome guitar tone (courtesy of the Hentor Sportscasters), Neil's percussion experimentation and lyrics, and Geddy's vocals, basswork, and keyboard usage. It's my fourth-favorite Rush record.

#8 tkdryan

tkdryan

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1970 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Water sports, Motorcycles, Road trips on the motorcycle

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

Its a good album.  not much too say.  Not my fav but its the most emotional in my opinion.  I love the synth work in afterimage,.

#9 Weakly Criminal

Weakly Criminal

Stop voting republicRAT

• Members *
  • 14056 posts
  • Interests:Speaking truth to evil, partying, sports and outdoors, avoiding growing up.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

I too had to grow into Signals and P/G. Loved PoW right away.  Didnít hear the stuff after that for years, but did grow into HYF, Presto and to some extent that next album. Beginning with CP itís all been easy again.

Think Iím a 70ís kid?  

#10 glover

glover

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

I have to say that at this point of my Rush fan career, I don't dislike anything they have done...  I mean...what is the point?  

And when it comes to Grace Under Pressure...

Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Red Sector A, The Enemy Within, Between the Wheels, Kid Gloves...  

Are you serious about disliking these songs?  

Sorry, not here...  Great great album...

#11 g under p

g under p

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4959 posts
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Aug 29 2010, 09:10 PM)
I love Grace....and total change from Signals....but so good to me

It was 19...freaking...84...  A great time, and a great album!!!

I know the OP's question was "Does anyone else dislike p/g?"  And there will be some haters.....Not me.

Between The Wheels...Rocks
Distant Early Warning....Nothing sounded like it at the time...Ever
Red Sector A....Intense storyline...Great live.
Afterimage....Different....touching.....RUSH
The Enemy Within....Great tune.
Etc.
Etc.

I really enjoy cranking Grace Under Pressure. It's too bad the OP dislikes it enough to make a post about.

There is probably more RUSH dislike posts to come.  Bring it on.

...And to make it his first post, but it's kool......time is on my side....... Yes it is. tongue.gif  

#12 Ted Barchetta

Ted Barchetta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1550 posts
  • Interests:I love playing bass and drinking iced tea.<br><br>Pretty Girls are nice too.<br><br>So are computers that work. And flat-screen televisions too.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

I love GUP. It's gotten me through some hard times; especially the tracks Between The Wheels and Kid Gloves. It's my second favorite Rush album.

Whatevs man, your loss is our gain.  trink39.gif  

#13 Xanadude69

Xanadude69

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1154 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

I love GUP aside from 2 songs.  I liked GUP much more than Signals at first.  Signals took time to grow on me. GUP was the last good synth album IMO

#14 shaun3701

shaun3701

The Professor

• Members
  • 3375 posts
  • Interests:some unknown Canadian band

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

I'm with the OP... I really can't get into P/G. I don't like the electronic drums, the bass (if you can call it that) that Geddy was using, or the whole sterile sound that permeates the album. I can appreciate most of the songs, but I prefer to listen to live versions.

#15 TullSkull

TullSkull

Minstrel of the Cannibus

• Members
  • 6951 posts
  • Interests:Good Ol' Rock n Roll and Skiing

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

Dislike GP??  no.gif WAY!! Gets all kinds of play here. One of my fav's.  2.gif  

#16 Pause Rewind Replay

Pause Rewind Replay

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

I liked p/g right away.  How Red Sector A could ever be described as cold boggles my mind.

I liked it because it's melodic, with enough guitar to rock, Red Lenses gets a little  common001.gif, as does the intro to Body Electric, and the lyrics grabbed me as well (especially DEW, Red Sector A, Body Electric and BTW).  

But don't feel like you're nuts... you should see what I get called when I say the only p/g song I dislike is Afterimage, and the only Rush album as a whole I dislike is Caress Of Steel  cool.gif

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay, 29 August 2010 - 11:12 PM.

#17 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19690 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

It's nowhere near being a favorite Rush album of mine.  It's pretty much middle of the pack as far as I'm concerned.  It's good, not great.

#18 NAO

NAO

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 29 2010, 07:30 PM)
I have never cared for P/G a great deal, although it is far from my least favorite Rush record.

And what is interesting about that is Signals is actually my favorite album. People often lump the two of them together because they seem to share many common sonic elements, but for whatever reason, Signals completely works for me while P/G does not.

Signals and P/G are not really similar.  I think Signals stands alone and there is nothing like it.  Same for P/G.  

Power Windows and HYF; Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures; everything else, IMHO can be grouped.

I do not care for the production on P/G all that much. Part of that could be that Peter Henderson was a bit of a late choice and maybe not necessarily the right choice.

Either Peter Henderson was a bad choice, or Terry Brown was a fantastic choice, or both.

I feel the drum sound is inferior to Signals, and there is a lot of sibilance on the vocals.

I'm also not a fan of the Simmons drums, which I find dated and cheesy. I think songs like Red Sector A and Red Lenses might have worked better without them.

I also feel that some of the emotion in Geddy's voice on certain songs sounds contrived and perhaps over-emphasized. I understand it was an emotional album to make, but I don't feel it..

Yes to all.

#19 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19690 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (NAO @ Aug 30 2010, 12:35 AM)
I do not care for the production on P/G all that much. Part of that could be that Peter Henderson was a bit of a late choice and maybe not necessarily the right choice.

Either Peter Henderson was a bad choice, or Terry Brown was a fantastic choice, or both.

The wanted and had Steve Lillywhite all lined up.  Mr. Lillywhite was not a man of his word.

#20 Silas Lang

Silas Lang

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2968 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (NAO @ Aug 29 2010, 07:18 PM)
I was very disappointed when Signals came out (although I grew to like it) because of the keyboards and to what seemed to me to be a concession to conformity. I had an intense dislike of the "80's New Wave" sound.  I considered Rush to be my antidote to all the bands like A Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, and Wham.

I'd hoped that Signals was an "experimental album" and that they'd go back to a sound that was evolved from, but continuous with, their 74-81 stuff.

When P/G came out it was (for me) much worse than Signals.  It sounded way more like the 80's techno-pop I so despised, and it didnít even have the warm ethereal feel of Signals.

I had similar feelings at the time these two were released, in fact GUP was the last album I bought until Presto. However, Grace is now my 4th favorite while Signals to me hasn't held up nearly as well (in my bottom 6). So what do I like about it?

The songs. Every one a Top 50 Rush track, easily.

The lyrics. Peart really delivers here and you can sense a maturity in this department in comparison to previous albums. (Arguably, the whole '80-'85 period could be considered his lyrical peak)

The attack. I just love aggressive feel of the guitar combined with the synths on this one. I feel they managed it much more successfully and convincingly than on Signals, which seemed a bit flat. Lifeson's approach was quite a change from prior albums, more of a rhythmic style to fit in with the stabbing icy synth chords. I recall being rather shocked at the time in that there no guitar solos on the entire first side in the traditional sense.

The intensity. There's just loads of emotion and angst in the music, the performances and Lee's vocals.

The uniqueness. It's a dark, cold, somewhat bleak album at times which could possibly be attributed to Rush maturing as a band as they had just reach the age of 30 at the time. A pretty different sound and style from their other albums up to that point, and still pretty unique in their catalog to this day. I think that's why I couldn't appreciate it as much at the time (being only age 14).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users