Does anyone else dislike P/G?

NAO

I am going to say that there is an edgy feeling to a lot of what is on P/G. Afterimage slams home, Between the Wheels is aggressive. Enemy within...ditto. It may not have been as aggressive as Rie the Lightning, but I don't care for VH anymore, but I still love Rush. VH...test of time...not for me.

when it came out, i wasn't a big fan (except Distant..)....

i was a teen when it came out, and i found it a bit depressing...very post-apocalyptic themed. it really was a lowpoint for me in my Rush collection.

but years ago, I've gone back and given it several listens. it really does resonate with me more now, for some reason. and hearing these tracks live really grab you.....Between the Wheels and Red Sector A are just amazing in concert!

can't say WHY i like it better now.....nostalgia is part of it, i'm sure.

Rush can't make a bad album, really. sometimes, you just have to catch up to what they're saying, hence my massive respect for them wub.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 6 2010, 01:43 PM)

I think this is why Van Halen go so big in the 80s. They were one of the few bands left still playing hard rock. Rock fans were abandoned in the 80s with bands doing the same thing rush did, leaving the guitars and hard beats in the background or eliminated entirely. VH stayed edgy and it was a breath of fresh air.

i HAVE to comment on this.....

'1984' was the beginning of the end of VH.

JUMP, with it's heavy synth, really alienated a lot of fans at that time. Eddie wanted to play more with keys than his guitar, and i think the music suffered.

as far as this VH fan is concerned, they NEVER bounced back from that. Now, I'm a huge fan of 1984 and a band's right to experiment, but Rush constantly evolves, and where is VH now? Eddie hasn't done crap in over ten years, and when they do again in the next year or so, it'll just be a trip down memory lane with DLR back at the helm (ka-ching!!)and Wolfgang dazed025.gif on bass.

they were an awesome rock band..they should have remained that

My experience with P/G is a little bit different. When it came out I just loved it and I think that had an extra little fervour to it because I was so disappointed in Signals after MP. I didn't like the sound quality of Signals and I wasn't too sure about the song stylings, either. A lot of people at the time criticized P/G for being "dark" but that didn't bother me.

So, that's the way it stayed for over 20 years and then, recently, I went on a listening binge through the whole catalog and found there were a few great songs on P/G but that I wasn't as enamoured with it as I was originally. Conversely, Signals has grown on me over the years and might even have edged out P/G in my estimation - I like both better than Power Windows, though...

Highlights: Red Sector A, The Enemy Within, Between the Wheels, Kid Gloves

To me, every album from RUSH to MP sounded like Rush, but from Signals forward they sounded like a different band.

I'm with those who dislike Alex's tone on the record and was disheartened by his full immersion into Andy Summers and Edge minimalist territory. I like mighty riffs, and this album doesn't really feature any.

yep. signals & GUP was the beginning of the end for me as far as new rush records being released; i'm a metal fan, and they lost that. yet, i still like several tunes on both.

actually, this thread made me borrow GUP and revisit it. the verdict; 2 tunes (afterimage & enemy within) made it onto my ipod (my highest endorsement; the only newer "ipod endorsed" tune for me is "earthshine"). plus, i saw rush on this tour when i was in high school (texxas jam, ~84).

all bands w/ long careers peak at some point (permanent waves & moving pictures, IMHO). but, that doesn't mean there isn't anything of value released after the peak.

I struggled with GUP when it came out. Electronic drums!??!!?? The videos were dumb. DEW and Afterimage were good ones(actually showed the band). It won me over before too long but it was the first Rush album with what I felt were weak songs. Only DEW, Afterimage and BTW stood the test of time for me. Not that the others were bad (like

Snakes bad), they just were the first Rush songs that made me go meh.

It simply rocks from beginning to end. Distant Early Warning, Between The Wheels, Kid Gloves, Afterimage, etc....all kick tons of ass. Those who say it lacks a hard rock edge just aren't paying attention because it's there on every track.

Saw Rush 1980-2015ish whenever the R40 tour was. Fell in love with them w 2112/Kings/Hemispheres. But I've played GuP more than any. It's their darkest except debatedly for Vapor Trails BOTH w damn good reasons for Peart's lyrics to be darkened (loss/death of loved ones), My best friend who went w most of those shows died a few years ago, suddenly. Afterimage is lyrical perfection. Musically Distant Early Warning, Red Lenses, Red Sector A, Between The Wheels and even the lyrically simple sci fi The Body Electric are all powerful (not enough bass, really? Try it on my stereo). And I was born in '63 the cold war SCARED ME badly in my teens and even before. Rush got the fear and created Between The Wheels "you know how that rabbit feels, going under your speeding wheels..you can fall from rocket's red glare down ro brother can you spare another war, another wasteland, another lost generation?" (what the disillusioned youth post WWI were called). As a member of the cold-war lost generation, this is my fav Rush album of them all.
  • Like 4

I still like GUP after all these years. Out of 8 songs, there’s not one that I think, “ oh that one really sucked” and Neil is pretty damn impressive all over it. I think they still had a relatively balanced sound as far as keeping guitars prominent and utilizing a lot of synth without it taking over completely. Once the sampling came in on power windows, it got a little too crazy. I think they grew a lot on it musically though—more emotionally rich songs than previously when they were more hard rock.
  • Like 1

I've always liked "Grace Under Pressure". I don't think there has ever been any of the eight songs that aren't good, or are bad. I've had favorite songs from, and off of it, and they are: "Between the Wheels", "Kid Gloves", and "Red Sector A". On that tour, it's the first time I got to see Rush in concert in person. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

One of the greatest albums of both Rush and the 80s.
  • Like 2

I like Grace a lot, and for me it was a great improvement over Signals. Alex is on fire throughout the album.

Such a massive improvement!

• Like 1