Neil Peart (Rush) VS John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) VS Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

YYZumbi

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which drummer is your favorite (and why)?

• Neil Peart (Rush)
    • John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
    • Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

Phil Collins.

sorry their should have been other on this poll cause that's my answer.

Mick

My number three, behind legend Peart and personal favorite Roger Taylor.

i love Roger. As far as Phil. he's the only drummer.......And i mean the ONLY drummer.......who's solos don't bore me to tears.. lol. i'm sorry that's just me.

Mick

I agree completely (as far as rock drum solos go) and I'm a drummer.

• Like 1

Jeff Porcaro

I had to look him up. Therefore he can't be on the list.

You had to look up Jeff Porcaro?

Yes, I did. Turns out he's played on stuff I've heard before. But not really with anyone I'm a big fan of.

Sorry, I guess he's not the same level of fame as Bonham or Peart, but from my perspective he's a pretty normal mention in greatest drummer discussions.

Is he? I guess I don't take part in reading too many greatest drummer discussions then.

I mean, Rosanna is a pretty common mention for greatest grooves. I think he mainly gets mentions for that tbh. His drumming is consistently excellent, but that groove on that hit is the conversation starter.

I will have to give that song another listen. All I remember about Toto's hits are the fantastic melodic hooks.

Rosanna has it all. Brilliant key and guitar solos, great singing from multiple members, unshakable hooks, unstoppable groove.

Just gave the song a listen and the drumming is... good. But I really don't hear anything that stands out with the playing. Certainly not at the same level of the three drummers this thread is about.

Hm, interesting. To me that's one of the top grooves in the books. Up there with When The Levee Breaks, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Walk This Way, and the like.

Oh also, Joey Kramer, especially when paired with Tom Hamilton on bass, one of the most underrated drummers in rock and roll. Those two are unstoppable together.

The groove in Levee absolutely drives that song and really stands out. I just don't hear that in the drumming on Roseanna.

:huh:

That Pocaro shuffle is iconic.

• Like 1

Jeff Porcaro

I had to look him up. Therefore he can't be on the list.

You had to look up Jeff Porcaro?

Yes, I did. Turns out he's played on stuff I've heard before. But not really with anyone I'm a big fan of.

Sorry, I guess he's not the same level of fame as Bonham or Peart, but from my perspective he's a pretty normal mention in greatest drummer discussions.

Is he? I guess I don't take part in reading too many greatest drummer discussions then.

I mean, Rosanna is a pretty common mention for greatest grooves. I think he mainly gets mentions for that tbh. His drumming is consistently excellent, but that groove on that hit is the conversation starter.

I will have to give that song another listen. All I remember about Toto's hits are the fantastic melodic hooks.

Rosanna has it all. Brilliant key and guitar solos, great singing from multiple members, unshakable hooks, unstoppable groove.

Just gave the song a listen and the drumming is... good. But I really don't hear anything that stands out with the playing. Certainly not at the same level of the three drummers this thread is about.

Hm, interesting. To me that's one of the top grooves in the books. Up there with When The Levee Breaks, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Walk This Way, and the like.

Oh also, Joey Kramer, especially when paired with Tom Hamilton on bass, one of the most underrated drummers in rock and roll. Those two are unstoppable together.

The groove in Levee absolutely drives that song and really stands out. I just don't hear that in the drumming on Roseanna.

:huh:

That Pocaro shuffle is iconic.

I think the drumming in Africa is better actually. Keep in mind this is coming from a non fan who didn't even know the name of Pucaro until yesterday. So my thoughts probably don't carry much weight.

Levon Helm for the Band is another Fav Singing drummer of mine.

to watch him is awesome. really gets down into a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnlU6rPfwY

Mick

Oh

I guess I have to listen to The Band now.

Well thank you kind bluefox.

First 2 records. Music From Big Pink and The Band.

Then if you enjoy seek out the live set the Last Waltz.

Mick

You know that every single person in that movie...

REAL HIGH ON COKE. Especially the director.

• Like 1

Levon Helm for the Band is another Fav Singing drummer of mine.

to watch him is awesome. really gets down into a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnlU6rPfwY

Mick

Oh

I guess I have to listen to The Band now.

Well thank you kind bluefox.

First 2 records. Music From Big Pink and The Band.

Then if you enjoy seek out the live set the Last Waltz.

Mick

You know that every single person in that movie...

REAL HIGH ON COKE. Especially the director.

so?

Mick

Phil Collins.

sorry their should have been other on this poll cause that's my answer.

Mick

My number three, behind legend Peart and personal favorite Roger Taylor.

i love Roger. As far as Phil. he's the only drummer.......And i mean the ONLY drummer.......who's solos don't bore me to tears.. lol. i'm sorry that's just me.

Mick

I agree completely (as far as rock drum solos go) and I'm a drummer.

Peart's solo are great for bathroom breaks at the shows though. 9 minutes thanks dude.

lol

Mick

Neil Peart.

How many drummers have changed a band's musical and lyrical direction when they joined the way Neil did with Rush? He was such a special talent that he got Geddy and Al to up their game significantly. Ward and Bonham were fantastic as well. But I'm not so sure Sabbath and Zeppelin don't have the similar success with other drummers. Without Neil I think Rush is finished before 1980.

I didn’t know...Bonzo’s style, his playing just behind the beat help make Zep distinctive.

Neil Peart.

How many drummers have changed a band's musical and lyrical direction when they joined the way Neil did with Rush? He was such a special talent that he got Geddy and Al to up their game significantly. Ward and Bonham were fantastic as well. But I'm not so sure Sabbath and Zeppelin don't have the similar success with other drummers. Without Neil I think Rush is finished before 1980.

I didn’t know...Bonzo’s style, his playing just behind the beat help make Zep distinctive.

True.

But Zeppelin had Jimmy Page. He made the bigger difference in the band I think.

Neil Peart.

Yeah. Vinnie Appice could have filled in for either, and I doubt too many people truly notice.

Neil Peart.

Yeah. Vinnie Appice could have filled in for either, and I doubt too many people truly notice.

I think a lot of Zep's stuff caves in on itself without Bonzo's contributions. Sure, you can imitate Bonzo's playing, the same being true for Peart's playing. It's another thing to create it as an iconic style.

Neil Peart.

I think a lot of Zep's stuff caves in on itself without Bonzo's contributions. Sure, you can imitate Bonzo's playing, the same being true for Peart's playing. It's another thing to create it as an iconic style.

peart is my favorite drummer ever but I don't think he's a game changer the way bonham was. hell, ask peart

Neil Peart.

I’m not a drummer, but I don’t see Bonham creating the drumming on The Weapon or the lead break of Freewill. Pearl himself talks about idolizing Moon, but he’s another guy I think Pearl just leaves way behind.

• Like 2

Neil Peart.

I’m not a drummer, but I don’t see Bonham creating the drumming on The Weapon or the lead break of Freewill. Pearl himself talks about idolizing Moon, but he’s another guy I think Pearl just leaves way behind.

There’s only one guy who could’ve concocted Xanadu.

Neil Peart.

peart is my favorite drummer ever but I don't think he's a game changer the way bonham was. hell, ask peart

Bonham, Ginger, and Moon.
  • Like 1

Neil Peart.

I’m not a drummer, but I don’t see Bonham creating the drumming on The Weapon or the lead break of Freewill. Peart himself talks about idolizing Moon, but he’s another guy I think Peart just leaves way behind.

Both Bonham and Peart had distinctive styles and were critical elements to their bands, that's for sure. It's no accident that they are at the center of these kinds of discussions.
  • Like 2

Neil Peart.

I’m not a drummer, but I don’t see Bonham creating the drumming on The Weapon or the lead break of Freewill. Peart himself talks about idolizing Moon, but he’s another guy I think Peart just leaves way behind.

Both Bonham and Peart had distinctive styles and were critical elements to their bands, that's for sure. It's no accident that they are at the center of these kinds of discussions.

Good point. I think too often people assume that picking one over the other means the "other guy" stinks. Bonham was a great drummer. I just personally think that Peart brought a level of complexity that still "fit" the songs that no one else did.

• Like 1

Neil Peart.

Good point. I think too often people assume that picking one over the other means the "other guy" stinks. Bonham was a great drummer. I just personally think that Peart brought a level of complexity that still "fit" the songs that no one else did.

Complexity is Peart, for sure. Feel and knowing when not to play was Bonham's genius. Copeland is like Bonham in that sense, knowing exactly when to under and over play.

1. Keith Moon

Peart, Bonham and Ward can fight it out for #2. I love all three of them.

A guy who doesn't get mentioned nearly as often as he should is B.J. Wilson of Procol Harum. If he had been in a bigger band, he'd be considered right up there with all these guys.

• Like 1

I voted for Bonzo because I like hard drummers. Neil used to drum like that before he became involved with the ballet slipper man whose name escapes me at the moment. That's when his drumming changed. I think Neil is an excellent drummer, but I like Bonzo's style much better.
  • Like 1

1. Keith Moon

Peart, Bonham and Ward can fight it out for #2. I love all three of them.

A guy who doesn't get mentioned nearly as often as he should is B.J. Wilson of Procol Harum. If he had been in a bigger band, he'd be considered right up there with all these guys.

Keith drums a lot like Bonzo. I liked him a lot too.