The Garden, my achilles heel

feliciasnh

For a long time I thought the one line in How It Is was "windy days as far as you can see" instead "when today's as far as you can see"

It seemed to make sense lol

I love mis-heard lyrics, haha! I know there are some that I still haven't figured out and usually just mumble my own nonsense as I sing along. One of my favorites is non-Rush, "Big old Jed had a rhino", (Big old jet airliner) by Steve Miller ;)

No. Its obviously, “Bingo Jed had a light on”. Sheesh, newbies ;)

• Like 2

The last 45 seconds or so, Al driving it out majestically. The end of Rush. The last note a cello, so neither Al, Ged or Neil taking responsibility for it. Beautiful, man. rarely play it now, too emotional
  • Like 4

It got me again, on my way home from work yesterday. Darn near an ugly cry in the car!

This song has evolved so much over time for me in how it evokes emotion.

At first, I really enjoyed it as "that slower song" on Clockwork Angels. It was a nice end to the album, wrapped things up well in my mind. It was great to hear it live on the CA tour, and I enjoyed listening to it whenever it came up on random or on purpose.

Then came R40, and the realization that the tour had most likely signified an end to an era. Now, hearing The Garden, knowing that it is the last song, on the last album they'll ever produce. Oh wow.. I couldn't hear it without getting at least a bit choked up while singing along, and occasionally shedding a couple of tears.

The final blow was Time Stand Still. Such perfect placement and use of that song as the credits are rolling. Bonafide ugly cry. 10 tissues, at least, swollen eyes, the whole nine yards. Oyyyy I was glad that I was at least home alone at the time.

The Garden comes off of all of my playlists after this - it caught me offguard one morning on my way to work and reduced me to tears. I couldn't have that happening! I went about a year or so, then gradually attempted to listen to it again. Finally, just recently, I was able to make it all the way through. It was almost like the stages of grief, where at some point, you turn the corner and the memories that made you sad are now the happy ones that you enjoy reflecting on.

That was, until I decided to listen to the live Rush albums yesterday. Oh cool, I thought, here's a live version of The Garden - I've got this! Oh no I didn't!! The sound of Geddy singing that live, combined with the recent experience of meeting him at Grapes Under Pressure, somehow regressed my whole "grief" progression and dumped me right back at the sad point. Ah well.. I'll give it some time, because time heals all and I'll get to listen to it again some day.

Are there any songs (Rush, or otherwise) that have such a powerful emotional impact on you? Sad, happy or otherwise?

Thanks for hearing me out.. I knew that this would be a safe place to share this, with a group of people that would uniquely understand what I was talking about :)

Its the strings. The garden and wreckers wreck me.

Seriously dave campbell is a master and strings can evoke emotions that ged or his helpers never came close to doing.

• Like 1

Its the strings. The garden and wreckers wreck me.

Seriously dave campbell is a master and strings can evoke emotions that ged or his helpers never came close to doing.

Yes - The Wreckers, for sure. The line near the end, "All I know is that memory can be too much to carry, Striking down like a bolt from the blue". It makes me think of my "soul mate" dog who passed away a number of years ago. Out of nowhere, a memory of her will pop up and just, ugh.. be too much sometimes.

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be about an English person and their yard. As for the song, I couldn't even tell you 1 word from the lyrics nor hum any part of the tune. Must have made a real impression. Nothing :burger:

Okay, well . . . the rest of us will probably continue to talk in a heartfelt way about a song which is significant to us for personal reasons. Feel free to continue not remembering the song!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

My time to brag: I had this discussion with Felicia FACE TO FACE at the Grapes Under Pressure event! Yes, The Garden brings tears to my eyes eevry time. Funny enough, I cried this Sunday as I was running a marathon and Closer to the Heart on ASOH came on my playlist. I started to remember how great it was to meet Geddy and Alex, and for a few minutes, all those years of Rush fandom and all the tough times their songs help me get through came up like flashes in my mind. I still haven't had time to sit down and write all my thoughts about meeting them, and I guess it takes some time to process that.
  • Like 3

My time to brag: I had this discussion with Felicia FACE TO FACE at the Grapes Under Pressure event! Yes, The Garden brings tears to my eyes eevry time. Funny enough, I cried this Sunday as I was running a marathon and Closer to the Heart on ASOH came on my playlist. I started to remember how great it was to meet Geddy and Alex, and for a few minutes, all those years of Rush fandom and all the tough times their songs help me get through came up like flashes in my mind. I still haven't had time to sit down and write all my thoughts about meeting them, and I guess it takes some time to process that.

He's lying!! Rod is a thrash metal maniac, if it's not 1000 mph he can't even hear it! Rod has speed metal ears! And I better not even mention black metal! Anyway Rod has never even HEARD The Garden because it's too slow for his ears! :smoke:

• Like 1

He's lying!! Rod is a thrash metal maniac, if it's not 1000 mph he can't even hear it! Rod has speed metal ears! And I better not even mention black metal! Anyway Rod has never even HEARD The Garden because it's too slow for his ears! :smoke:

Lying through your teeth again, mate?

:D

Lying through your teeth again, mate?

:D

The truth will set you free Rod and it's out there! :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be about an English person and their yard. As for the song, I couldn't even tell you 1 word from the lyrics nor hum any part of the tune. Must have made a real impression. Nothing :burger:

Okay, well . . . the rest of us will probably continue to talk in a heartfelt way about a song which is significant to us for personal reasons. Feel free to continue not remembering the song!

Consider it done, although I just looked at the lyrics and see why I may have blocked it out. "It is what it is". I absolutely hate that trite term and would like to throttle the person who started using it. Other than that, I'm sure it's a swell song.

• Like 1

Consider it done, although I just looked at the lyrics and see why I may have blocked it out. "It is what it is". I absolutely hate that trite term and would like to throttle the person who started using it. Other than that, I'm sure it's a swell song.

I sort of started using it as my motto for a bunch of situations when things get out of hand. It's like a compliment to the words on the T4E booklet: "If you want something done right, just forget it". As time goes on and you get older, you realize you have less and less control over things. That realization is quite liberating if you ask me.

• Like 4

This this this. "It is what it is, and whatever" are not at all the simple lyrics that they appear to be on the surface, at least to me.

I'm an English professor, so I've spent over half my life looking for shades of meaning in things. We're taught that "it is" (as expletives) are filler words - in this case, an "empty subject and empty verb." But conceptually . . . the deep possibilities of what "it" is and what "is" entails in terms of being and existence. Dizzying. Then of course, there's the "what" . . .

And so far, no one has threatened to beat me up.

• Like 3

This this this. "It is what it is, and whatever" are not at all the simple lyrics that they appear to be on the surface, at least to me.

I'm an English professor, so I've spent over half my life looking for shades of meaning in things. We're taught that "it is" (as expletives) are filler words - in this case, an "empty subject and empty verb." But conceptually . . . the deep possibilities of what "it" is and what "is" entails in terms of being and existence. Dizzying. Then of course, there's the "what" . . .

I speaks english and yuo is write.
  • Like 2

I speaks english and yuo is write.

Cleerly you were learned good

I just don't get this song, I think it is awful, but to each his own.

I get it (it's point is not a subtle one and it gets to it very directly), and I'm glad so many find inspiration in it (even though I don't).
  • Like 1

Garden and Clockwork are the only songs that stand out for me on this album, but Garden is way apart from the rest. It shows a more sensitive side of the band and that they can still be great songwriter Edited by rugen

I just don't get this song, I think it is awful, but to each his own.

I get it (it's point is not a subtle one and it gets to it very directly), and I'm glad so many find inspiration in it (even though I don't).

That is some damn fine parenthetical work, sir. :clap: :clap:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/fc/fc778f62dcaee4b0766628a7ab4d93cb3fafdab0d7fb7f341023c35fd2d63203.jpg

• Like 1