LEARN HOW TO SPEAK!

Tick

But enough of this................

Guess what I just remembered????

Today, June 12th, the feast day of St. Anthony of Padua, is the 30th anniversary of my sobriety!

Isn't that amazing? Thirty whole years I've been sober. Me - me who thought she couldn't go a week without a drink, and wondered how I was ever going to live the rest of my life without hanging out in bars and having a good time!

So raise your glass to me! :codger: :cheers: Yay me! :cheerleader:

Congratulations Lorraine! That is terrific! Keep up the great work!

What's your secret? Opiates? Pepsi? the Moody Blues? Ice Cream? TRF?

Whatever it is, the hardiest of congrats to you!

http://memecrunch.com/meme/30093/congratulations-doge/image.png

(the pic was chosen as a tenuous link to the thread title and not meant to belittle your accomplishment in any way!)

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

Today, June 12th, the feast day of St. Anthony of Padua, is the 30th anniversary of my sobriety!

Isn't that amazing? Thirty whole years I've been sober. Me - me who thought she couldn't go a week without a drink, and wondered how I was ever going to live the rest of my life without hanging out in bars and having a good time!

:haz: :haz: :haz:

One of my greatest days ever was the day I realized that my happiness does NOT depend on alcohol or any other drug. That day, the entire Universe changed. :D

• Like 4

Whomever thinks the opening pic was intentional to say portray the gorilla as a black person, you are wrong. I found the pic Treeduck posted funny. I used it. Once again, not racist.

So you'll get not apology from me because I honestly had no mal content.

I didn't see racism until Goose's post saying it was uncool. Not saying he's a racist but seems like he was the first to see a connection between the gorilla and a black person.

Whomever thinks the opening pic was intentional to say portray the gorilla as a black person, you are wrong. I found the pic Treeduck posted funny. I used it. Once again, not racist.

So you'll get not apology from me because I honestly had no mal content.

I didn't see racism until Goose's post saying it was uncool. Not saying he's a racist but seems like he was the first to see a connection between the gorilla and a black person.

Disingenuous much?
  • Like 1

1328074809272_7363138.png

What's the pic, Vapour Trailer? It's broken on my comp, and doesn't show....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Dancing%20RoboBanana.gif

Yay Lorraine! :notworthy: :ebert: That's really awesome!!

• Like 2

So as not to confuse things, I am not suggesting that Tick or anyone else here is a racist. I know enough about most of you to say with confidence that no one here is a bigot. i also know most of you well enough to say that none of you is stupid. My take is that Tick - a rightfully iconic and beloved long-time member of TRF - posted something funny based around a particular quirk of a certain American English dialect. That dialect happens to be one spoken mainly by African Americans. The original meme also featured an African gorilla, an animal often used by bigots to depict black people.

Because we all know who Tick is, the pic was rightfully given a pass and good fun ensued. I saw the pic and thought a point needed to be made about the elephant in the room. Tick has made it clear that his intent was not to connect black people or their speech patterns to gorillas, and I've made it clear that i never intended to suggest that he was a bigot.

End of story, I hope.

• Like 3

1328074809272_7363138.png

What's the pic, Vapour Trailer? It's broken on my comp, and doesn't show....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Dancing%20RoboBanana.gif

Hi ORFie;

Sorry you can't see that attachment. I have no idea why. I did nothing out of the usual!

Anyhoo, it's just one of those goofy e:card type things that shows a smiling girl at a desk, with text that reads:

"Please shut your mouth, your stupid is showing."

It sounds kinda harsh, but the card is a nice rosy pink, and very empowering. :P

west bishes;

trapor vailer

• Like 2

Trapor, don't forget - ice cream social tomorrow - you promised to bring me an ice cream bar. Tanks!

Bring a bib. :yes: And don't drool the ice cream. :no:

Behave yourself.

When tempted to call your boss a jerk, smile instead. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Trapor, don't forget - ice cream social tomorrow - you promised to bring me an ice cream bar. Tanks!

Behave yourself.

How do you remember this stuff? :LOL:

I am planning on going out and getting my free fun-free "iced treat".

I might just go have to go home immediately afterwards, what with all the excitement of interacting with the executives and all...

re: your points:

-I won't need a bib as I won't be wearing a shirt, so there!

-re: drooling ice-cream, see above

-behave myself? always!

-call my boss's boss's boss's boss's boss a jerk? i would never do that.

i would say something like this: "Hope you're enjoying handing treats out to the menials as much as we are receiving them from you. Instead of giving us these sad little tokens, perhaps you could fix our shitty infrastructure that you keep bragging about, you out-of-touch ice-cream-slinging clown."

I think that works better, don't you? :P

What flavour would you like? Last year they only had 'plain' and 'plain'.

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/17/gray_popsicle_1-adj.jpg

• Like 1

If you've read through all of this thread's posts, you can read this article below.

If you haven't read through all of this thread's posts, you can read this article.

Don't dismiss it until you've read it all.

(I didn't bother with the videos though)

http://www.npr.org/s...y-some-still-do

I read it all. Complete BS.

Show me a dictionary definition of the word "ax" that one of the definitions is "to ask a question"?

When someone can do that I'll lay off the bullshit justification of using poor English and accept it.

Good luck with that.

Tick, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but when people say "ax" they are not intentionally saying "ax", they are trying to say "ask". It comes out sounding like "ax" because that's the way they speak. Do you not notice regional differences in the way that people pronounce words?

Will you start making fun of Australians saying "rise up lights" when they mean to say "razorblades"?

• Like 3

If you've read through all of this thread's posts, you can read this article below.

If you haven't read through all of this thread's posts, you can read this article.

Show me a dictionary definition of the word "ax" that one of the definitions is "to ask a question"?

When someone can do that I'll lay off the bullshit justification of using poor English and accept it.

Good luck with that.

Tick, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but when people say "ax" they are not intentionally saying "ax", they are trying to say "ask". It comes out sounding like "ax" because that's the way they speak. Do you not notice regional differences in the way that people pronounce words?

Will you start making fun of Australians saying "rise up lights" when they mean to say "razorblades"?

Tick once drop kicked an Aussie for saying "aluminium" instead of "aluminum". He decapitated another for saying "arvo." He's still not sure why that pissed him off or even what "arvo" even means but he wasn't having it.

• Like 2

but when people say "ax" they are not intentionally saying "ax", they are trying to say "ask". It comes out sounding like "ax" because that's the way they speak.

My father knew full well how "cardboard" is spelled, but he always said "cordboard". He also said "George Worshington". That's just how he spoke. He didn't care about his Kentucky accent and/or dialect.

• Like 2

One I see a lot is the Letter U for the word you. How hard is it to type three letters?

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

How about two negatives in a sentence?

"I'm not never gonna do dat."

That has always baffled me. Two negatives makes a positive, doesn't it? So when people use 'no nothing' in a sentence, doesn't that actually mean there is something?

So, like, one that gets me is the wrong use of the word "of" init.

Would of, should of etc. not just in written form either, people speak it as well.

And then there is the use of then instead of than.

One of my pet peeves.

I say something. I have said something.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Why is that so hard to understand?

I don't know when I have been so self-conscious writing a post ;).

By the way, am I the only one who noticed the error in the first meme? It is, not its. :huh:

Behave yourself.

How do you remember this stuff? :LOL:

I am planning on going out and getting my free fun-free "iced treat".

I might just go have to go home immediately afterwards, what with all the excitement of interacting with the executives and all...

re: your points:

-I won't need a bib as I won't be wearing a shirt, so there!

-re: drooling ice-cream, see above

-behave myself? always!

-call my boss's boss's boss's boss's boss a jerk? i would never do that.

i would say something like this: "Hope you're enjoying handing treats out to the menials as much as we are receiving them from you. Instead of giving us these sad little tokens, perhaps you could fix our shitty infrastructure that you keep bragging about, you out-of-touch ice-cream-slinging clown."

I think that works better, don't you? :P

What flavour would you like? Last year they only had 'plain' and 'plain'.

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/17/gray_popsicle_1-adj.jpg

Dearie, I hope this isn't too late, but I'll take the plain. Sounds better than plain. Thanks, Tapor. You're a nectarine.

• Like 2

How about two negatives in a sentence?

"I'm not never gonna do dat."

That has always baffled me. Two negatives makes a positive, doesn't it? So when people use 'no nothing' in a sentence, doesn't that actually mean there is something?

So, like, one that gets me is the wrong use of the word "of" init.

Would of, should of etc. not just in written form either, people speak it as well.

And then there is the use of then instead of than.

One of my pet peeves.

I say something. I have said something.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Why is that so hard to understand?

The general population cares only about making sounds. In informal conversation, could have becomes could've which sounds like could'of.

People speak the way they speak. Oral language will always rule the world, as it has for thousands of years. Our artificially-created written languages will always take a back seat. As we all know, many people don't care about the grammar lessons they had to endure in school.

• Like 1

Good luck with that.

Tick once drop kicked an Aussie for saying "aluminium" instead of "aluminum". He decapitated another for saying "arvo." He's still not sure why that pissed him off or even what "arvo" even means but he wasn't having it.

Reported for blatant and unabashed use of arvo.

• Like 1

This one gives the dialect where I'm from...I actually know the guy in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_CEF7_cSfk

My mother always used to say "Catlick" instead of "Catholic." Drove me nuts.

http://www.petmd.com/sites/default/files/why-does-my-cat-lick-me.jpg

This is my cat, Pope. His hobbies include sh1tting in the woods, being judgemental about human behavior, and hoarding fabulous riches.

Edited by vaportrailer

Good luck with that.

Sorry, but theirs no way I buy that. The people who say "ax" say it because they think that's how it should be said. At least that's what I believe.