Who Has Or Had The Greatest Grunge Pipes Of All Time In The Emerald City Of 90's Hype?

Which Badmotorfinger Muthaflukka Superunknown Top "Ten" Vocalist From Seattle Rule? Oh well "NEVERMIND!"  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is The Greatest Grunge Singer From Seattle Of All Time?

• Chris Cornell
    • Eddie Vedder
    • Andrew Wood
    • Layne Staley
    • Kurt Cobain

Cornell, by miles. Unbelievable range. When Cochise was released, the very first time I heard it, I thought it might be new music from AC/DC.

From your list the rest would go:

Vedder

Cobain

Staley

Wood, although the distance between 2, 3 and 4 is small, between 4 and 5 enormous.

Weiland would come after Cornell. And I disagree, Earl, that he doesn't count. Core and Purple are amazing grunge albums. Tiny Music might be a little bit of a glam album, though. I love it, but it is different from the others.

But does STP count as Seattle?- I think that's the issue, not the grunge or not grunge angle.

Cornell, by miles. Unbelievable range. When Cochise was released, the very first time I heard it, I thought it might be new music from AC/DC.

Vedder

Cobain

Staley

Wood, although the distance between 2, 3 and 4 is small, between 4 and 5 enormous.

Weiland would come after Cornell. And I disagree, Earl, that he doesn't count. Core and Purple are amazing grunge albums. Tiny Music might be a little bit of a glam album, though. I love it, but it is different from the others.

But does STP count as Seattle?- I think that's the issue, not the grunge or not grunge angle.

Both Vedder and Weiland grew up and started their first bands in San Diego, but I get your point.

Vedder

Cobain

Staley

Both Vedder and Weiland grew up and started their first bands in San Diego, but I get your point.

I'm just guessing at the point.

Personally, outside of the fact that the music rocked and they were in the Northwest, I never would put Nirvana in the same genre as Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/STP/AiC.

I like Nirvana a lot, I'm not saying they're better.worse. Just never saw that 'grunge' was a genre if both Nirvana and Soundgarden were in it. Unless the genre was 'loud guitar rock'.

Vedder

Cobain

Staley

Personally, outside of the fact that the music rocked and they were in the Northwest, I never would put Nirvana in the same genre as Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/STP/AiC.

I like Nirvana a lot, I'm not saying they're better.worse. Just never saw that 'grunge' was a genre if both Nirvana and Soundgarden were in it. Unless the genre was 'loud guitar rock'.

I've always thought of grunge that way...basically loud guitar rock from the early 90s.

Vedder

Cobain

Staley

Grunge was more about the look than a certain type of musical sound. Besides maybe having the same guitar tone, none of the big four out of Seattle sounded like each other. They had distinctive sounds musically.

The same with the vocals. Chris, Layne, Eddie and Kurt couldn't be more different.

Maybe it's just me but all the major grunge bands, bar Nirvana, sound like the same scene easily.
  • Like 1

EASILY, Chris Cornell for me!
  • Like 2

Voice wise, Cornell by a country mile. Charisma wise, Vedder ftw.

I agree with this completely.

Although I prefer Vedders voice tbh, but I get what you mean.

• Like 1

I have to go with Layne Staley as well, even though I think Cantrell was the 'better' singer. But Staley just complemented the heavy, heavy music like no other.

Maybe it's just me but all the major grunge bands, bar Nirvana, sound like the same scene easily.

Yes. Nirvana doesn't sound like anything else called grunge. They sound like just a poppy punk band to me...honestly I think they're closer to Green Day than Alice In Chains.

• Like 2

Yes. Nirvana doesn't sound like anything else called grunge. They sound like just a poppy punk band to me...honestly I think they're closer to Green Day than Alice In Chains.

To me they were just a very noisy version of stuff like Jesus And Mary Chain, Pixies and other bands of that nature.

But all the other bands we've mentioned sound, not alike exactly, but familiar enough to appeal to the same crowds. In all honesty I find early Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and AIC very easy to listen t all in one sitting. It's like variations of a theme.

To me they were just a very noisy version of stuff like Jesus And Mary Chain, Pixies and other bands of that nature.

But all the other bands we've mentioned sound, not alike exactly, but familiar enough to appeal to the same crowds. In all honesty I find early Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and AIC very easy to listen t all in one sitting. It's like variations of a theme.

Interesting take I Can See For Myles!

I listend to all of these bands back in the heyday trying to expand my mind.

The Pixies and Jesus And Mary Chain suck.

But back then I loved all of the early grunge shit.

You know this.

I loved Nirvana's "Bleach."

I bought that on Sub Pop before Nevermind even hit the stores.

I love "Ten" by Pearl Jam. I saw them live at The Warlfield when Rage Against The Machine opened.

I saw the Badmotorfinger Tour. Lollapalooza!

Whatever man.

I love New Order. I love the Pet Shop Boys.

I've seen it all dude.

Well in my time.

Missed a lot of shit in the 60's and 70's but I can't complain.

I could write a book about the shows I have seen over the decades.

And I am just a common human.

A nobody.

It is what it is mate.

I love a band called Mudhoney.

Mother Love Bone was one of the GREATS.

A lot of these bands come and go but they will always be the "APPLE" of my eye.

Get it?

Jane's Addiction is another one of my obsessions.

Perry is a Legend.

Dave is a fantastic narcissist guitarist. LOL

Perkins is one of the greatest drummers on the planet and I can't believe I didn't mention him on the 2017 drummer thread.

Eric Avery? Great bassist.

What ever man.

I met Perry while watching the Jim Rose Circus on a side stage. Perry smelled of body odor, weed and booze. He had green dreadlocks.

He was so nice and cool.....

It is what it is.

Life is short.

Live your life to the fullest man.

I will.....

Never change.

• Like 1

Interesting take I Can See For Myles!

I listend to all of these bands back in the heyday trying to expand my mind.

The Pixies and Jesus And Mary Chain suck.

But back then I loved all of the early grunge shit.

You know this.

I loved Nirvana's "Bleach."

I bought that on Sub Pop before Nevermind even hit the stores.

I love "Ten" by Pearl Jam. I saw them live at The Warlfield when Rage Against The Machine opened.

I saw the Badmotorfinger Tour. Lollapalooza!

Whatever man.

I love New Order. I love the Pet Shop Boys.

I've seen it all dude.

Well in my time.

Missed a lot of shit in the 60's and 70's but I can't complain.

I could write a book about the shows I have seen over the decades.

And I am just a common human.

A nobody.

It is what it is mate.

I love a band called Mudhoney.

Mother Love Bone was one of the GREATS.

A lot of these bands come and go but they will always be the "APPLE" of my eye.

Get it?

I love Pixies and Jesus And Mary Chain but I get why one wouldn't.

I love Pearl Jam in general. They never betterer Ten but I don't think they ever needed too. They have a great discography, with Vitalogy my personal second favourite.

Cobain and Nirvana will always be my favorite grunge band and one of my overall favorite bands of all-time. It's probably because they are more rooted in punk and melody. Their songs slash and cut and pummel.

As for vocalists, my rankings are:

Cornell

Vedder

Cobain

Wood

Staley

• Like 3

Cobain and Nirvana will always be my favorite grunge band and one of my overall favorite bands of all-time. It's probably because they are more rooted in punk and melody. Their songs slash and cut and pummel.

As for vocalists, my rankings are:

Cornell

Vedder

Cobain

Wood

Staley

All the bands listed here have great melodies but I'd say Nirvana were gifted at writing direct melodies, the sort that you hear just once and never forget. That is something Pearl Jam almost matched.