JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostXanadoood, on 14 January 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

Thoughts?

Sure, thoughts are part of it, but I suspect "hands" is a bigger factor.

Sponsored Post

#22 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

View PostJARG, on 18 January 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostXanadoood, on 14 January 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

Thoughts?

Sure, thoughts are part of it, but I suspect "hands" is a bigger factor.

Fingers?  Toes (for tappin')?

#23 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

For me, it's always been about his bass sound (one of a kind) and the way he plays along with Neil's drum fills.  If Neil plays a roll, Ged plays a melodic line to support the roll with the same rhythmic pattern.  It makes the drum fill more pronounced and is cohesive to the song.  There's also the fact that he's a busy bass player without being overly busy or showing off.  Everything he plays supports the song but is also interesting to listen too.  Think about most Rock bass players and how often you've been turned on by what the bass player is doing in the song...Geezer, Squire, Flea etc. but no one does it like Ged.

#24 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5898 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

Don't know if this has been posted or where, but I guess Lee bought this thing for $45,000 . . .

https://www.guitarbr...er-jazz-bass-2/

https://www.talkbass...0-bass.1289816/

#25 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:23 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 22 August 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

Don't know if this has been posted or where, but I guess Lee bought this thing for $45,000 . . .

I think it's ironic that someone who was always known for playing very few instruments for years and years suddenly buys all these vintage basses. I think he's got the John Entwistle disease.

#26 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3782 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 23 August 2017 - 02:23 AM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 22 August 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

I think it's ironic that someone who was always known for playing very few instruments for years and years suddenly buys all these vintage basses. I think he's got the John Entwistle disease.
midlife crisis 20 years later? :huh:

#27 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5898 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

In the little video he made for the Signature Geddy Lee Jazz bass, he talks about how collectors get the bug - since every bass has unique tonal qualities - pickups are never wired quite the same, the wood never has quite the same density, etc.  If you haven't seen the video, it's at this site:

http://shop.fender.c...06.html#start=1

Edited by toymaker, 23 August 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#28 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 23 August 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

In the little video he made for the Signature Geddy Lee Jazz bass, he talks about how collectors get the bug - since every bass has unique tonal qualities - pickups are never wired quite the same, the wood never has quite the same density, etc.  If you haven't seen the video, it's at this site:

http://shop.fender.c...06.html#start=1

And some people are just collectors and hoarders.

#29 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

His feel, his precision, his sense of melodicism, and the RIFFS!

#30 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

Geddy is a soul musician who learned how to play and write progressive rock and pushed off from there. Also, it helps to be playing with a drummer and a guitarist who can each keep up with you.

#31 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 24 August 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Geddy is a soul musician who learned how to play and write progressive rock and pushed off from there. Also, it helps to be playing with a drummer and a guitarist who can each keep up with you.

I've noticed that most of the "progressive Rock" musicians have at least some base in soul/R&B/blues (incongruous as that may seem).

I like my prog more "earthy" these days.  And it IS possible.

I don't mind the way that metal has informed a lot of modern "progressive rock,"...

but when it is at the expense of losing the soul or the blues aspects, I'm not so in.

It's a main reason why bands like Dream Theater don't really do it for me.  I love all their influences, but.... not the package.

Early metal had more blues in it......

Edited by Mystic Slipperman, 24 August 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#32 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

View PostMystic Slipperman, on 24 August 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 24 August 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

I've noticed that most of the "progressive Rock" musicians have at least some base in soul/R&B/blues (incongruous as that may seem).

I like my prog more "earthy" these days.  And it IS possible.

I don't mind the way that metal has informed a lot of modern "progressive rock" but when it is at the expense of losing the soul or the blues aspects, I'm not so in. It's a main reason why bands like Dream Theater don't really do it for me.  I love all their influences, but.... not the package.

Early metal had more blues in it......

Yes. Meaning both that I agree with you and that I think Yes is a great example. DT can be awesome, and when I'm in the mood they're incredible, but they're always showing off and don't have a great amount of soul in much of their music.

Also, Sabbath is metal because they learned the blues. From a technical standpoint even, the tri-tone is inherent in the blues scale.

#33 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 9846 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Dave Gilmour is a classic example of this...although used in a prog sense, his style is thoroughly rooted in the blues, and it's one of the reasons he plays with such emotion and feel....you can't really teach that, it's ground into you by experience.

I have always maintained he can do more with one note than many others can do with twenty, and no matter how well I learn his stuff, there is no way in a month of Sundays i will ever sound quite like him.

#34 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostFridge, on 25 August 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Dave Gilmour is a classic example of this...although used in a prog sense, his style is thoroughly rooted in the blues, and it's one of the reasons he plays with such emotion and feel....you can't really teach that, it's ground into you by experience.

I have always maintained he can do more with one note than many others can do with twenty, and no matter how well I learn his stuff, there is no way in a month of Sundays i will ever sound quite like him.

Excellent example of playing with 'feel'.  One of the best.

#35 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

View Poststoopid, on 25 August 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

For sure. He's my 2nd favorite player. He easily has the best sense of phrasing of any guitarist I've heard.

#36 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83612 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Posted Image

#37 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostJARG, on 11 September 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 25 August 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

For sure. He's my 2nd favorite player. He easily has the best sense of phrasing of any guitarist I've heard.
   You obviously haven't heard of Jeff Beck then?

#38 Nate2112

Nate2112

The Lil' Eskimo

• Members *
  • 3021 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Worldbuilding, Mapmaking, Programming, Composing Music

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 15 January 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

The Nose

oy vey goyim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users