Rate S&A

Gompers

Out of 10, how do you rate Snake and Arrows?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how do you rate Snake and Arrows?

I am seeing more S&A hate these days, so I thought I'd get a sampling of how it has faired through the years and how we see it as Clockwork Angels approaches.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give it a 9. I listen to it all the time in my car. Great release. I think back to hearing Far Cry when it was released and comparing that one tune to the entire of Vapor Trails and it really set the tone for the album.

This album is such a great companion for driving those long winding roads at night. Every time i drive from Pittsburgh to my home town of Lynchburg, Va, when I get about a 60 miles outside of Lynchburg, I put on S&A. Some great driving tunes.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 29 2012, 08:17 AM)
I give it a 9. I listen to it all the time in my car. Great release. I think back to hearing Far Cry when it was released and comparing that one tune to the entire of Vapor Trails and it really set the tone for the album.

wish i could get into that song but i can't stomach it. i don't like the guitar and geddy's vocals are all over it with one day i feel i'm ahead.....and on and on...

Somewhere between 7 and 8 for me. Gave it an 8 today. When the album was new , it was among the best Rush albums ever for me. Over time I like "Vapor Trails" better. Still a pretty strong album.

I gave it a 7.

The best 3-4 songs there as good as any Rush songs imo.

There are a few mediocre songs on it, so it will not get topscore. But 7 is still very good.

Listened to it on my way to work in the car today, and I played it loud. There are so much quality that the dwellers in the past misses. Their loss! cool.gif

I'd give it a 7.

Excellent songs: Far Cry, Armor & Sword, Main Monkey Business.

The rest are pretty good too but those are my top 3.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 29 2012, 08:21 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 29 2012, 08:17 AM)

wish i could get into that song but i can't stomach it. i don't like the guitar and geddy's vocals are all over it with one day i feel i'm ahead.....and on and on...

Far Cry wins for the Hemispheres chord alone.

Love Workin' Them Angels and Armor and Sword. MalNar is way up there. The Larger Bowl and The Main Monkey Business are quite good. The other tracks are all pretty good except for Spindrift, which is the only one I can't stand.

I'll give it an 8. Perhaps more telling is that it ranks a pretty-high sixth out of all of Rush's studio releases for me.

A solid 8.

I think the second half loses a bit of steam...but it's mainly because the best songs on the album are almost all in the first half.

With that said, I like every song, with Faithless being my least favourite, and even that one has a great guitar solo from Alex. I even love Good News First, which I know most people here dislike.

The whole album is solid IMO. 1022.gif

I awarded it a five, but in hindsight I'd probably change that to a six or seven. For me, Far Cry, Armor & Sword, and Workin' Them Angels are better than either Vapor Trails or Test for Echo in their entirety. Snakes and Arrows perhaps ranks second to Counterparts in strength of product since Hold Your Fire. I'm of the opinion that it's a little unfair to put it up against PeW, MP, etc. I think comparing S&A to more recent output is a more justifiable barometer.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 29 2012, 10:40 AM)
I awarded it a five, but in hindsight I'd probably change that to a six or seven. For me, Far Cry, Armor & Sword, and Workin' Them Angels are better than either Vapor Trails or Test for Echo in their entirety. Snakes and Arrows perhaps ranks second to Counterparts in strength of product since Hold Your Fire.

Wow, I agree with this COMPLETELY! That doesn't happen too often! tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 29 2012, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 29 2012, 10:40 AM)
I awarded it a five, but in hindsight I'd probably change that to a six or seven. For me, Far Cry, Armor & Sword, and Workin' Them Angels are better than either Vapor Trails or Test for Echo in their entirety. Snakes and Arrows perhaps ranks second to Counterparts in strength of product since Hold Your Fire.

Wow, I agree with this COMPLETELY! That doesn't happen too often! tongue.gif

trink39.gif

I originally would have said 8, but I voted 7. Listening in the gym a few nights ago, I do agree that a couple of tracks kind of drag towards the end.

If they had dropped four tracks and changed the order a bit, it could have looked something like this:

Far Cry

Workin' Them Angels

The Larger Bowl

Spindrift

Malignant Narcissism

Armor and Sword

The Main Monkey Business

The Way The Wind Blows

Faithless

I think this would have EASILY made S&A an 8 or 9. And they could have released Good News, Bravest Face, Hope, and We Hold On as bonus tracks a few years later. tongue.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

Solid 8.

Far Cry and Armor & Sword are all-time greats...goosebump inducing from first listen. Workin' them Angels...MarNar...Monkey Biz...very strong. I actually love Faithless and Good News First also.

Bravest Face, We hold on, and yes, Spindrift are the weak points.

All I can say is I was very high on S & A from first few listens, and it holds up today...