Dream Theater

StuartBruce

I have read a lot of negative comments about Dream Theater on this forum, and a few positive ones, but up until today I had never bothered listening to them. I seem to recal when they first rose to prominence someone told me that if I liked Rush I should listen to them .. which bizarely put me off completely.

I was watching the You Tube clip of the guy doing La Villa on piano and when it finished it offered me "The Camera Eye" from 2009 by DT. So I pressed play.

It starts with the recorded clip of background noise and the keyboards kick in and it all sounds fine - then the singing starts.

Woah !! Just awful - I mean noteven close to right pitch and the tone is so strained. I guess I re-realised that Geddy has such a unique sound that few are capable of doing it justice.

I think I got through about three lines of singing before I closed it down. My sympathy never lasts long ..

As for DT - I will leave them alone now.

2.gif

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep

Are you suggesting I listen to their entire body of work and see them several times live before I make the same decision?

I'm just saying that I was less than impressed - not judging, just commenting. Feel free to disagree. or not

A lot of people would be very turned off of Rush if they based their opinion on just one live clip as well.

A better approach would be to listen to some studio cuts. Images & Words, and Scenes From a Memory are both very good. I don't care for the rest of what I've heard though.

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Oct 15 2010, 07:12 AM)
Yep

Are you suggesting I listen to their entire body of work and see them several times live before I make the same decision?

I'm just saying that I was less than impressed - not judging, just commenting. Feel free to disagree. or not

You are judging them based on a clip of them covering a Rush song?

C'mon Stu, please give them another shot?

Would you humor me and listen to these when you have a chance and comment afterwords? This is in two parts. If you don't enjoy these you don't like Dream Theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-tgb9-dGc&feature=related

and the song continues here...

Here it is performed live...

If you took time, I want your thoughts. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Oct 15 2010, 08:41 AM)
And just yesterday I read that Portnoy quit the band about a month ago? This would be akin to Neil leaving Rush, as Portnoy also write a large portion of the band's lyrics.

They will be fine without him.

I don't understand how you can pass judgement on weather a band is any good or not based on how they play covers? It's like deciding you don't like Rush after listening to Feedback. It makes no sense at all.

If you wanna give Dream Theater a serious shot then check out the albums Images & Words and Awake, then get back to us.

Why is this in the 'Rush' section of this board? There is already a Dream Theater thread in 'Music Of The Spheres' where you could've posted this.

Also curious, why is this thread posted in the Rush section of the board?

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 15 2010, 09:01 AM)
I don't understand how you can pass judgement on weather a band is any good or not based on how they play covers? It's like deciding you don't like Rush after listening to Feedback. It makes no sense at all.

If you wanna give Dream Theater a serious shot then check out the albums Images & Words and Awake, then get back to us.

I gave him links for Overture and Strange Deja Vu. We will see if he pays it any mind?

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 15 2010, 01:02 PM)
Also curious, why is this thread posted in the Rush section of the board?

Not a huge user of this (or any other) forum so apologies for the posting issue

I will give you choices a blast & report back Tick - thanks

I think I was just shocked at how weak the singer was on this song in compasrison to Ged. Not sure what I expected. Something close I guess.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Oct 15 2010, 08:26 AM)
A lot of people would be very turned off of Rush if they based their opinion on just one live clip as well.

A better approach would be to listen to some studio cuts. Images & Words, and Scenes From a Memory are both very good. I don't care for the rest of what I've heard though.

Their two best are Awake and I&W, IMO. Great material. In fact, I&W was when I got into them. I used to be a huge fan of DT. The path and style they choose once gaining Rudess really began to turn me off not that it is all bad. These guys are outstanding musicians. Petrucci is one hell of a guitar player and song writer. I think that, just like Rush to many people, once you can deal with the vocal style, you will really get into the band.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 15 2010, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Oct 15 2010, 08:26 AM)

A better approach would be to listen to some studio cuts.  Images & Words, and Scenes From a Memory are both very good.  I don't care for the rest of what I've heard though.

Their two best are Awake and I&W, IMO. Great material. In fact, I&W was when I got into them. I used to be a huge fan of DT. The path and style they choose once gaining Rudess really began to turn me off not that it is all bad. These guys are outstanding musicians. Petrucci is one hell of a guitar player and song writer. I think that, just like Rush to many people, once you can deal with the vocal style, you will really get into the band.

I agree with Gompers, the vocals are not their stonger side. And Images and Words is the best way to start getting into them.

I've seen Dream Theater 6 times already in different tours and lineups, in three different continents. Live they're still awesome, but honestly, Mike leaving may be the breath of fresh air they've been missing for the last 2 or 3 albums. Let's see what thy'll come up with in the next year.

I'm only a slightly more than casual fan of Dream Theater but I think Scenes From a Memory in particular is fantastic.

To me the singing is by far the weakest part of the band but that's what a lot of people say about Rush too so give it another shot.

I know I'm not alone in thinking James Labrie is a great vocalist. The haters can say what they will, but he has many fans. I am Certainly one of them. My wife also loves his vocals and doesn't understand the criticism. and I am not saying this to get a rise, but I much prefer his vocals to Geddy's.

Rush fans more then anyone should be able to relate.

edited to say, that I want to point out that I don't like the way he covers Rush.

Just for the record.

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 15 2010, 08:47 AM)
I know I'm not alone in thinking James Labrie is a great vocalist. The haters can say what they will, but he has many fans. I am Certainly one of them. My wife also loves his vocals and doesn't understand the criticism. and I am not saying this to get a rise, but I much prefer his vocals to Geddy's.

edited to say, that I want to point out that I don't like the way he covers Rush.
Just for the record.

i'm not a dream theater fan but i respect his vocals. i say bring him out as a guest singer during hemispheres to help geddy out. i think i mentioned this on the other thread. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Oct 15 2010, 03:53 AM)
so you're gonna judge their entire body of work based on a YouTube clip?

Right!

Instead, instruct him to do what I did: have him waste hard-earned money on buying CD after CD of Dream Theater music ("Hate it. Maybe I'll like this one. Nope, hate this one, too. Maybe this one. Or this one."), to only THEN come to the conclusion that Dream Theater is not for him.

eyesre4.gif

I don't understand how you can pass judgement on whether a band is any good or not based on how they play covers?

Well, if the original poster is anything like me, he'll actually prefer DT's covers over their original material! Their original lyrics are the second worst aspect of the band, next to LaBrie's vocals. I have six DT albums and pretty much hate them all, but I'll still give their cover songs on "Change of Seasons" an occassional spin.

To me DT is a band that had so much potential in their early years. I really dug Images and Words and Awake (to a lesser degree). Somehow the band never learned how to write songs though. I give them props for being virtuoso musicians (technically speaking) but, barring the first few albums, their stuff is pretty sterile and lacking melody. They go off on extended jams that never resolve. Their soloing never really serves the song (not that the songs are really strong musically anyway).

I know some people really love them but I need a bit more "music" in my music. OK, I'm done bagging on them.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 15 2010, 09:32 AM)
Somehow the band never learned how to write songs though. I give them props for being virtuoso musicians (technically speaking)...

This.

There's no denying these guys are all exceptional players. But the songs? I get no "Rush."

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 15 2010, 08:47 AM)

Just for the record.

I think the same people who don't like LaBries vocals are the same people who don't like Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson, Glenn Hughes, and Rob Halford's vocals, which I admit the high pitch metal vocals do require a taste, but La Brie is no different in his vocal ability than the rest of these singers

Archived