Dream Theater

StuartBruce

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 17 2010, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 17 2010, 05:24 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 16 2010, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 15 2010, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 15 2010, 08:47 AM)
I know I'm not alone in thinking James Labrie is a great vocalist. The haters can say what they will, but he has many fans. I am Certainly one of them. My wife also loves his vocals and doesn't understand the criticism. and I am not saying this to get a rise, but I much prefer his vocals to Geddy's.

Rush fans more then anyone should be able to relate.

edited to say, that I want to point out that I don't like the way he covers Rush.
Just for the record.

I think the same people who don't like LaBries vocals are the same people who don't like Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson, Glenn Hughes, and Rob Halford's vocals, which I admit the high pitch metal vocals do require a taste, but La Brie is no different in his vocal ability than the rest of these singers

you are wrong.......I really like all of those singers that you mentioned. LaBrie is not in the same league as any of those

"but La Brie is no different in his vocal ability than the rest of these singers".......you have got to be kidding me!! rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

I think that at the end of the day it really isn't about LaBrie's voice all all!

It's about the rotten lettuce that keeps growing out of his skull.

From a distance the dude looks like a homeless bum with that awful long hair and a beer gut.

If you are a frontman of an intellectual prog band then you should have some sense of poise and hygiene.

You should try and emulate some class instead of looking like an overweight sweaty tumbleweed rolling through the desert looking for your next Burger King drive through window meal.

The Glass Moon has been shattered as it dims out slowly into The Wilderness Of Mirrors. More like Smoke And Mirrors.

Fools always fooling the tools of society.

I ain't buying it, yet I always seem to buy the next Dream Theater release.

I'm fuckked.

trink39.gif

James cut his head, so he's better now. smile.gif

trink39.gif

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My comments on all that's been said on the topic:

1 - While the average Rush fan can certainly relate to some of DT's songs, I agree that it may not be everybody's cup of tea. DT's music is quite dense and the long songs can be a chore to hear (as someone mentioned in the thread);

2 - I love DT, seen them live a handful of times, and yes, James' vocals are quite inconsistent. And if you listen to their albums in sequence, it's easy to notice he's been singing in lower and lower keys as years go by. However, he's an integral part of the band, a good composer and a team player. DT's sound wouldn't be the same without him;

3 - If you still think there's not any Rush in DT's soun, try listening to Innocence Faded and The Great Debate, where they "quote" Red Barchetta and Tom Sawyer in the middle of the songs, respectively;

4 - Even being a fan of both bands, I'm ok with the fact that DT fans may not like Rush and vice versa. Why is it so unconceivable to people in every forum I read?????

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 17 2010, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 17 2010, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 17 2010, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 17 2010, 08:37 AM)
I know I'm not alone in thinking James Labrie is a great vocalist. The haters can say what they will, but he has many fans. I am Certainly one of them. My wife also loves his vocals and doesn't understand the criticism. and I am not saying this to get a rise, but I much prefer his vocals to Geddy's.

edited to say, that I want to point out that I don't like the way he covers Rush.
Just for the record.

I think the same people who don't like LaBries vocals are the same people who don't like Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson, Glenn Hughes, and Rob Halford's vocals, which I admit the high pitch metal vocals do require a taste, but La Brie is no different in his vocal ability than the rest of these singers

you are wrong.......I really like all of those singers that you mentioned. LaBrie is not in the same league as any of those

"but La Brie is no different in his vocal ability than the rest of these singers".......you have got to be kidding me!! rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

I think that at the end of the day it really isn't about LaBrie's voice all all!

From a distance the dude looks like a homeless bum with that awful long hair and a beer gut.

If you are a frontman of an intellectual prog band then you should have some sense of poise and hygiene.

You should try and emulate some class instead of looking like an overweight sweaty tumbleweed rolling through the desert looking for your next Burger King drive through window meal.

The Glass Moon has been shattered as it dims out slowly into The Wilderness Of Mirrors. More like Smoke And Mirrors.

I'm fuckked.

trink39.gif

better? laugh.gif

the haircut makes him look like a middle-aged businessman or something. the long hair was where it was at.

I was picking on what Earl said, Fledge.

fair enough.

you can never tell with that kinda stuff, i've heard some pretty serious anti-hair sentiments in my time tongue.gif

I was a long haired rock singer in the 90's Fledge so I have no problem with long hair. Ridiculously enough, it helped me get laid on a few occasions. laugh.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Oct 18 2010, 08:05 AM)

4 - Even being a fan of both bands, I'm ok with the fact that DT fans may not like Rush and vice versa. Why is it so unconceivable to people in every forum I read?????

I have found that Dream Theater fans are much more respectful to Rush then Rush fans are to Dream Theater.

That has certainly been my observation. The Rush fan who is not a DT fan rips DT apart at all turns. The funny thing is, they don't even care if there clueless about Dream Theater and have never even heard them. This thread is the poster boy for the smug, arrogant, elitest, and most of all CLUELESS Rush fan who rips apart the band having never heard one of there songs. Stu still hasn't listened to any Dream Theater and chimed in.

That's what's so annoying.

I am beyond disgusted with the needless hate towards Dream Theater. If you don't like them, ignore them. Don't just be a dick for the sake of being a dick.

At least Geddy Rulz owns there whole catalog and has seen them live many times. He has the right to hate them. He has earned it. tongue.gif

As he eagerly waits their first post Portnoy release so he can rush out and buy it on day one, and hate it like all the rest! 1022.gif

rofl3.gif

If I were you (OP), I would definitely give a thorough listen to the following albums:

Images & Words

Octavarium

Both exceptional albums...with plenty of awesome tracks on both!

I'm not the most knowledgable DT fan here, but 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Root of All Evil' are amongst some of the best songs I have ever heard. Simply awesome stuff. 1022.gif

Just for the record.

laugh.gif

I'm fuckked.

trink39.gif

PICS!?

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 18 2010, 07:40 AM)
At least Geddy Rulz owns there whole catalog and has seen them live many times. He has the right to hate them. He has earned it. tongue.gif
As he eagerly waits their first post Portnoy release so he can rush out and buy it on day one, and hate it like all the rest! 1022.gif

rofl3.gif

Uh, not quite. I don't "rush out to buy" their new releases. And I've only seen them live ONCE. (It was pretty good.)

I own:

Images and Words (92)

Awake (94)

A Change of Seasons (95)

Falling Into Infinity (97)

Scenes From a Memory (99)

So, I haven't "rushed out to buy" a new album by DT in eleven years! laugh.gif (Actually, I bought all these albums in '02. It's only been eight years since I bought a DT album. But no more!)

I am beyond disgusted with the needless hate towards Dream Theater. If you don't like them, ignore them. Don't just be a dick for the sake of being a dick.

Why do you feel it's "needless" hate? These are people's honest opinions about the band. You love them, they don't. Get over it. You take criticism of them too personally and defend them too rabidly. Just fuggedaboutit.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 18 2010, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 18 2010, 07:40 AM)

rofl3.gif

Uh, not quite. I don't "rush out to buy" their new releases. And I've only seen them live ONCE. (It was pretty good.)

I own:

Images and Words (92)

Awake (94)

A Change of Seasons (95)

Falling Into Infinity (97)

Scenes From a Memory (99)

So, I haven't "rushed out to buy" a new album by DT in eleven years! laugh.gif (Actually, I bought all these albums in '02. It's only been eight years since I bought a DT album. But no more!)

Why do you feel it's "needless" hate? These are people's honest opinions about the band. You love them, they don't. Get over it. You take criticism of them too personally and defend them too rabidly. Just fuggedaboutit.

When you start a thread criticizing a band you have never heard a single song from, its NEEDLESS!

Its not the criticizing of the band that bugs me as much as when Rush fans criticize them for the same reasons Rush has been criticized for 30+ years. To tell the truth, ever since joining this board, my love for Rush has gone down... way down. It just disgusts me how shallow some people's music tastes are...

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 18 2010, 02:37 PM)
Its not the criticizing of the band that bugs me as much as when Rush fans criticize them for the same reasons Rush has been criticized for 30+ years. To tell the truth, ever since joining this board, my love for Rush has gone down... way down. It just disgusts me how shallow some people's music tastes are...

Your love for Rush, or the Rush fan?

I think the Rush fan has ever increasing grated on my nerves over the last couple years.

I still love Rush, and lots of people on this board, but many Rush fans are complete snobs.

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 18 2010, 02:57 PM)

I think the Rush fan has ever increasing grated on my nerves over the last couple years.

I still love Rush, and lots of people on this board, but many Rush fans are complete snobs.

I don't even know confused13.gif I don't find myself listening to Rush as much as I used to though...

Probably because I've found so many new bands to listen to... but it still astonishes me how so many people think that Rush is the center of the musical universe...

And that's basically why you dont see my in the RUSH section of this forum anymore. And why I now hardly come in here because all the threads seem to end the same way.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 18 2010, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Oct 18 2010, 02:57 PM)

I don't even know confused13.gif I don't find myself listening to Rush as much as I used to though...

Probably because I've found so many new bands to listen to... but it still astonishes me how so many people think that Rush is the center of the musical universe...

And that's basically why you dont see my in the RUSH section of this forum anymore. And why I now hardly come in here because all the threads seem to end the same way.

i think that rush has a really, really broad fan base composed of people who have very little in common musically other than rush.

i can't think of a group with a more diverse fan base than rush can you?

the other unfortunate truth of the internet/forums is that people are more likely to post a negative thought than a positive.

few are willing to share what they like, many are critical of what others like.

But you are right. It sucks when Rush fans fail to realize/ or perhaps are not old enough to remember that Rush was treated exactly like DT by the masses back in the day.....

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 18 2010, 11:17 AM)

Just for the record.

laugh.gif

I'm fuckked.

trink39.gif

PICS!?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/fledgehog/scaledphptn0server801filename18511520.jpg

lol

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 18 2010, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 18 2010, 11:17 AM)

Just for the record.

laugh.gif

I'm fuckked.

trink39.gif

PICS!?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/fledgehog/scaledphptn0server801filename18511520.jpg

lol

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Secksy

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 18 2010, 01:57 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 18 2010, 03:05 PM)

Rush was what got me into Prog music. I have been a loyal fan for many years. I listen to them regularly still, but I do listen to many other artists as well. I am a music snob when it comes to rap, pop, and country mostly. I certainly do not see Rush as the be all end all, but I also am quite aware that they influenced heavily many of the bands I prefer or have something akin to other bands in the Prog genre whom I thoroughly enjoy. yes.gif

So Stuart never even bothers to listen to Dream Theater then report back? Typical, and expected. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Oh brother.....

I think LaBrie sings very well.. just not crazy about his style. and I AM a fan of Geoff Tate, Halford, Dickinson...

It's a lot like all those folks that assume that because I love Rush, Yes, Genesis that I'll automatically love all the "new" prog bands.

Not good to make assumptions.

I've never understood how defensive some people get when someone doesn't like their favorite band/singer/artist/whatever. WTF? It's just an opinion. And it SEEMS like "prog" fans are generally some of the most defensive people I've ever known when it comes to this.

RELAX......

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Oct 15 2010, 06:12 AM)
Yep

Are you suggesting I listen to their entire body of work and see them several times live before I make the same decision?

I'm just saying that I was less than impressed - not judging, just commenting. Feel free to disagree. or not

I heard the "Camera Eye" you're talking about, and hated it.

But I do love DT.

Last year, I got a copy of "Images and Words", and it grew on me. Eventually, it blew me away. Give them time to work on you.

The vocals can be a little whiny sometimes, but La Brie CAN sound badass when he wants to.

Please don't dismiss them on that shit performance. You're only denying yourself something great.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Oct 21 2010, 02:42 PM)
Oh brother.....

I think LaBrie sings very well.. just not crazy about his style. and I AM a fan of Geoff Tate, Halford, Dickinson...

It's a lot like all those folks that assume that because I love Rush, Yes, Genesis that I'll automatically love all the "new" prog bands.

I've never understood how defensive some people get when someone doesn't like their favorite band/singer/artist/whatever. WTF? It's just an opinion. And it SEEMS like "prog" fans are generally some of the most defensive people I've ever known when it comes to this.

RELAX......

Its just the complete stupidity of this thread. Starting a thread declaring you know why people bash Dream Theater without even hearing one single song of theirs! That is just beyond lame. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Oct 21 2010, 11:42 AM)
Oh brother.....

RELAX......

Wow!

LaBrie is talented but he can't even hold the cod of Halford, Tate and Dickinson.

Those guys are the BIG THREE.

Listened to "Silver Linings" today at work. It's excellent.

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 18 2010, 11:57 AM)

Hey Tick!

"DO YOU LOVE ME?"

Let me give you a big KISS! wub.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 23 2010, 01:20 AM)
LaBrie is talented but he can't even hold the cod of Halford, Tate and Dickinson.

Off topic:

I will take Russell Allen (Symphony X) over Halford anyday. And unlike Tate, he still has his voice. But Dickinson is king.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 23 2010, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 23 2010, 01:20 AM)

Off topic:

I will take Russell Allen (Symphony X) over Halford anyday.

Allen is a great singer.

Archived