Gaaa! Hold Your Fire sounds like shit!

Khan

*ducks*

All the talk in the other thread about HYF and T4E made me whip out HYF again after a long while and listen to it in the car. I can't believe how crappy this album sounds, ffs! Tinny highs, no lows..I mean WTF? confused13.gif

I'm not ranting on about the songs...I like most of the songs, it's just the way they sound. I don't know who the hell produced or mixed this turd but it sounds like 062802puke_prv.gif compare to T4E or S&A (or several others as well).

It's almost like they limited the frequency response to a very narrow range.

All I know is other albums sound way better than this.

bsg.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ADesignForRush @ Mar 15 2010, 05:55 PM)
*Will not listen to such tripe!* HYF is my favourite Rush album and will not hear a bad word against it! no.gif dazed025.gif

Yeah but favorite for what reason? The songs..yeah they're good. The lyrics, good....the music, good. Sound-wise I can't stand it.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Mar 15 2010, 05:51 PM)
*ducks*

All the talk in the other thread about HYF and T4E made me whip out HYF again after a long while and listen to it in the car. I can't believe how crappy this album sounds, ffs! Tinny highs, no lows..I mean WTF? confused13.gif

I'm not ranting on about the songs...I like most of the songs, it's just the way they sound. I don't know who the hell produced or mixed this turd but it sounds like 062802puke_prv.gif compare to T4E or S&A (or several others as well).

bsg.gif

Agree 100%.

HAs anyone picked up the Remaster of this? Big difference?

I can't stand to listen to this albums for reasons similar to Vapor Trails.

For such a great band, they sure have had some crappy sounding recordinns (like: HYF, Presto, Vapor Trails, Signals)

HYF was one of the 1st albums i bought from Rush, and i hold it dear to me as one of my favorites. I can see your reason for not liking. another man's trash is another man's treasure? haha. I have a problem with T4E. i love the music and there is some great stuff there, but some of the songs and just the "sound" of the album i really couldnt get into. Dont get me wrong, i pop it in once in a while just to listen to the gems i like from it. Same with Vapor Trails, it took me a few years to get used to the "over-produced" sound on it, but like i said for T4E, there are some gems on that one too.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Mar 15 2010, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (ADesignForRush @ Mar 15 2010, 05:55 PM)
*Will not listen to such tripe!* HYF is my favourite Rush album and will not hear a bad word against it!  no.gif  dazed025.gif

Yeah but favorite for what reason? The songs..yeah they're good. The lyrics, good....the music, good. Sound-wise I can't stand it.

It means a lot to me, that's why. Mission is now my all time fave song. I do have the remaster although, I prefer it on the vinyl. I love it more than anything, this record.

especially since HYF is my favorite and T4E is my least favorite.

Power Windows does have a sound that's better, but the songs don't appeal to me as much.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Mar 15 2010, 03:51 PM)
*ducks*

bsg.gif

you must be confusing it with Presto, which is all the things you describe. Sonically I think HYF sounds great.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 15 2010, 06:35 PM)
I don't know who the hell produced or mixed this turd but it sounds like  compare to T4E or S&A

This is just funny considering Peter Collins produced Hold Your Fire and Test For Echo.

Yeah, but Andy Wallace mixed T4E.

I think the production fits the music. All Rush albums except for Vapor Trails are mixed fine to me. VT has the "lows" that everybody wants eyesre4.gif but there's too much of it, and way too much 'crackling'.

But anyway, Hold Your Fire's production is great in its own way, as is Presto, Roll the Bones, and I think Signals was mentioned?! (can't think of one thing wrong with Signals)...

HYF was the first time I was disappointed with a Rush album..too bad it was not the last. no.gif

I'd love to get HYF in protools and double the guitars / bass, increase the drums, and kill the keyboards and all sound FXs. Might be ok then.

Signals could use 30% more guitar too.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 15 2010, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (jdouglas @ Mar 15 2010, 10:31 PM)

How do I know it's accurate? What equation or formula did you use to determine this?

yeah get a clue. what were you thinking????

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Mar 15 2010, 09:31 PM)
HYF was the first time I was disappointed with a Rush album..too bad it was not the last. no.gif

I'd love to get HYF in protools and double the guitars / bass, increase the drums, and kill the keyboards and all sound FXs. Might be ok then.

don't like it don't listen to it. it's as simple as that. wink.gif

...what? PoW and HYF were two of Rush's best sounding albums. Full and lush all around with a nice polished glaze on top.

Listen to the intro of Lock and Key if you don't believe me -- how can you call that tinny at all?

QUOTE (RushNut @ Mar 15 2010, 05:51 PM)
I can't believe how crappy this album sounds, ffs!  Tinny highs, no lows..I mean WTF? confused13.gif

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae115/Sonata-Kenneth/4forums/1267855594522.jpg

I like HYF's mixing, the tone is fine, I can hear everything, that's all that matters to a "simple man" like me. With Signals however, (as jdouglas brought up) I can barely hear the guitar at times (ex: in subdivisions Alex's guitar drowns in the sea of synth [not that the synth sounds bad]) that kind of stuff is what bothers me.

Archived