Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

My initial Taylor craze cooled off a bit. Not super like me to go listen to everything in quick succession and I think I realized that, so I’m still just on Red and Speak Now… but wow those two records are gonna stay with me my whole life.

Taylor swift and i have a weird bond. lol.

where i think Segue and i differ is i think i've never heard him flat out say she's done anything awful.......well maybe Me!

I will tell you i think she has tremendous highs but man when she's bad she SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS:laugh: she has some of the worst music i think i've ever heard........BUT then you have a speak now for every Me! so i can't hate her.

Mick

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor swift and i have a weird bond. lol.

where i think Segue and i differ is i think i've never heard him flat out say she's done anything awful.......well maybe Me!

I will tell you i think she has tremendous highs but man when she's bad she SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS:laugh: she has some of the worst music i think i've ever heard........BUT then you have a speak now for every Me! so i can't hate her.

Mick

I won't lie, I'm nervous for the next album.

She has yet to drop an album I detest, which is not something i can say about other pop stars I love: Kylie, Madonna, Mariah...

Always a chance she does a Human Nature and loses me

14 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I won't lie, I'm nervous for the next album.

She has yet to drop an album I detest, which is not something i can say about other pop stars I love: Kylie, Madonna, Mariah...

Always a chance she does a Human Nature and loses me

well law of avergages.  i'm hoping for a weird album.  cause those song titles.......WOW. i'm hoping if it's bad it's at least weird.

Mick

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I just hope you don't hit an album, find you dislike it, and write her off. 1989 and Reputation are super slick, but I still feel a little time spent with Folklore onwards could prove special.

I recommend you read the lyrics with the songs. I didn't truly appreciate many songs til I properly heard the lyrics.

Two I recommend, that helped me through a suicidal patch last year, are Happiness and This Is Me Trying.

Oh I don’t think any bad or too slick record is gonna change Speak Now and Red for me. I’ll definitely check those two out. Sorry you went through that, and I’m grateful Taylor helped you through.

In Flames and Biffy Clyro

Starting to branch out more today.

played a bunch of Melodic rock and some pop

Angel

Toto

Lionel Ritchie.

now on Frank Zappa.

Finally feeling a bit more adventurous.

Mick

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Starting to branch out more today.

played a bunch of Melodic rock and some pop

Angel

Toto

Lionel Ritchie.

now on Frank Zappa.

Finally feeling a bit more adventurous.

Mick

• Like 2

Classic Rock:

Dire Straits - great storytelling and their songs are usually very relaxing, "Money For Nothing" represents this band poorly (thanks Sting)

Steely Dan - great song writing and i dig the cynical lyricism

Billy Joel - see above, only Billy's much more cynical and the pop rock angle is pretty different from jazz rock 

The Doobie Brothers - the micheal mcdonald R&B stuff, not so much their earlier hard rock stuff

Metal:

Sonata Arctica - always have listened to them way too much, but now i'm back to it in anticipation of their upcoming album which is a return to their early trademark style of power metal.

Stratovarius - visiting some of their work which i've never really listened to much before, particularly Fourth Dimension. also a good go-to band for inspiration 

Insomnium - a lot of the riffs inspire me to pick up the guitar again and it's great music to listen to whenever depressed. 

...all these bands are Finnish and loosely interconnected ;) 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

Classic Rock:

Dire Straits - great storytelling and their songs are usually very relaxing, "Money For Nothing" represents this band poorly (thanks Sting)

Billy Joel - see above, only Billy's much more cynical and the pop rock angle is pretty different from jazz rock 

The Doobie Brothers - the micheal mcdonald R&B stuff, not so much their earlier hard rock stuff

Metal:

Sonata Arctica - always have listened to them way too much, but now i'm back to it in anticipation of their upcoming album which is a return to their early trademark style of power metal.

Stratovarius - visiting some of their work which i've never really listened to much before, particularly Fourth Dimension. also a good go-to band for inspiration 

Insomnium - a lot of the riffs inspire me to pick up the guitar again and it's great music to listen to whenever depressed. 

Steely dan is my fav band.

they just kill every album.

Mick

• Like 2

Frank Zappa.

i get he's not for every one but the amount of re-play value this man has for me insane.

Ii do however mostly stick to the canon zappa when he was alive.  the archives are insane and overwhelming.

Mick

2 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

Classic Rock:

Metal:

I really hated the last SA album, and what I've heard of the next album isn't winning me over.

Still, I love the band, and their discography up to The Ninth Hour is special to me.

What did you think of the last album?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

Classic Rock:

Metal:

Also just to add.  the mcdonald Doobies are becoming my fav era.  i never used to like but i changed my mind.

Classy rhythmic catchy stuff.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I really hated the last SA album, and what I've heard of the next album isn't winning me over.

Still, I love the band, and their discography up to The Ninth Hour is special to me.

What did you think of the last album?

I think it's their worst album by a wide margin, there are some songs or moments of them that i think are decent.. but overall when i listened to it i thought to myself, "looks like they need to retire". I like all three of their singles for this upcoming album and according to Tony half of the songs on the album will be power metal like "First in Line" is, which was the standard for their earlier albums (Ecliptica thru Reckoning Night), so it looks like they're going back to being "power sonata" rather than "prog sonata".. and i'm excited, i think they're going to pull it off pretty well. It won't be the same without Jani or Mikko, Silence was their magnum opus as far as that goes, but it should still be very good.

I've been playing a lot of In Flames, but today I've spent some time also with Paradise Lost, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Last couple of days, Paradise Lost.

For a stretch of about four years from 2016-20, I played them nearly every single day. Then I sort of moved on.

Time apart has been great, my one time favourite metal band rejoins that title with In Flames.

Two bands I've grown with. Both were once in the background of my favourite band lists (my teens), both now absolutely dominate my time.

Paradise Lost aren't just a great metal band, their is also something stately, classy and darkly hopeful about them.

Still Zappa.  Tried some Miles Davis and..........nope i'll just leave him for folks who can appreciate that stuff.

guy's obviously a pioneer and a game changer but........whoosh......right over my head, lol

Actually i highly enjoy listening to people talking about miles music more then his actual music:laugh:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Still Zappa.  Tried some Miles Davis and..........nope i'll just leave him for folks who can appreciate that stuff.

guy's obviously a pioneer and a game changer but........whoosh......right over my head, lol

Actually i highly enjoy listening to people talking about miles music more then his actual music:laugh:

Mick

I love Miles Davis. I have around 30 of his albums

Edited by Segue Myles

13 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I love Miles Davis. I have around 30 of his albums

i get why.  he's music is facinating to just read abut.  but..  listening to it i got like zero out of it.

Shoe's on the other foot.  now i feel like you.  when i plant you with something that misses you, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Paradise Lost 

Miles Davis

In Flames

Flowing Tears

25 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Paradise Lost

Frank Zappa

Mick

Okay, so you gave Miles Davis a shot. Throw me a Zappa. It's been years

16 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Okay, so you gave Miles Davis a shot. Throw me a Zappa. It's been years

oh wow......ok......so we'll start sort of in the accessable years (as acsessable as zappa go lol).

Try Over-nite Sensation.

Mick

• Like 2