RIP Merle Haggard

Maverick

Apparently he managed to pass on his birthday. That seems like a great day to bow out, to me.

I wasn't really a fan, but I know how important he was to Country Music.

The year of loss continues.

• Like 5

I thought he died years ago. I wasn't much of a fan either but sorry to lose yet another musician. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

We got to hear Merle as kids on our "National Lampoon Family Vacation" road trips during the summer. In some places down south and out west, country stations were all that you could dial in. We used to laugh at "Okie from Muskogee" but I always liked "Mama Tried"- "I turned twenty one in prison, doin' life without parole . . ." He really did spend time in San Quentin and could turn quite a phrase when he wrote songs. RIP, Merle. :rose:
  • Like 2

I wasn't much of a fan either however I did see Garth Brooks in January. So I do have some appreciation for country music. His fans will certainly miss him and his music.....RIP

Peace

• Like 1

A guy at my workplace just told me about this a minute ago.

:(

I'm not a fan of the country music that most people listen to these days. But mid 1970s and earlier, there is some good stuff, in my opinion.

Merle Haggard was one of the greats.

RIP :rose:

• Like 1

We got to hear Merle as kids on our "National Lampoon Family Vacation" road trips during the summer. In some places down south and out west, country stations were all that you could dial in. We used to laugh at "Okie from Muskogee" but I always liked "Mama Tried"- "I turned twenty one in prison, doin' life without parole . . ." He really did spend time in San Quentin and could turn quite a phrase when he wrote songs. RIP, Merle. :rose:

"No one could steer me right,

But mama tried, mama tried

Mama tried to raise me better,

But her pleading I denied

That leaves no one but me to blame

'Cause mama tried..." :musicnote:

I learned that song by way of the Grateful Dead- they played it live, a few hundred times (literally). And that was how I got to know Merle Haggard, and some more of his music.

• Like 4

Saw him two months ago with my old man who's a big fan of Merle & Country.

He was suffering from double pneumonia and was performing while hooked up to an oxygen tank. He wanted to perform.

Now that's some music dedication towards his fans right there or either he knew his end was coming.

• Like 3

Merle Haggard was the real deal. Just as Blue J mentioned, he truly was one of the greats. He was "in attendance" for a Johnny Cash performance in San Quentin in 1958. Wow, sad loss. Rest in peace Mr. Haggard...pouring a shot Jack Daniels in your honour. :rose:
  • Like 5

Saw him two months ago with my old man who's a big fan of Merle & Country.

He was suffering from double pneumonia and was performing while hooked up to an oxygen tank. He wanted to perform.

Now that's some music dedication towards his fans right there or either he knew his end was coming.

I consider it both, he had originally cancelled the tour, but then it was back on near the last minute. I don't think it'd make sense for him to push himself to play like that unless he saw it as his last chance to.

Good guy, RIP.

If you ever want to know how to write songs then listen to Merle. Genius.

Modern country is a tub full of shit but guys like Haggard, Townes van Zandt & Cash (to name a few) were authentic story tellers of real life. Simple, powerful & great melodies.

"Ramblin' Fever" was his ode to truck drivers:

"...And I'll never get too old to get around

I want to die along the highway and rot away like some old high-line pole

Rest this ramblin' fever in my soul..."

• Like 2

Let him sing me back home

With the song I used to hear

Make my old memories come alive

Take me away, and turn back the years

Sing me back home

Before I die

:rose: