Things in Rush songs it took you a long time to notice

toymaker

I only relatively recently noticed that there is tambourine in The Necromancer - during the heaviest part of the song, too. I guess I've always been so focused on Lifeson's astonishing guitar playing that I never paid much attention to the nuances of the percussion.

What are some eye-opening ear-opening moments for you?

• Like 3

Great topic

There is something odd happening under the vocals at the beginning of the second verse during In The Mood

It sounds intentional, as in subliminal ... Of course, it could be an unused track bleeding thru or ghosting ... Geddy double tracked his vocals on certain parts of the song, and perhaps this was just a mistake .... But it sounds intentional to me ..

Press you ear to the speaker at about the 55 second point .. It goes by fast .. And it is more noticeable on the left side ( right side if you are facing the speakers )

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

The heartbeat at the end of Cygnus X-1. Only noticed it after reading about it and then putting on some headphones to listen more closely.

On the vinyl version of FbN, the chimes at the end of By-Tor don't end, they continue into the run-out groove. And the tonality of the chimes is different on vinyl than on CD.

There is a slight ghosted vocal at the end of Didacts and Narpets on CoS, when the vocals shout "Listen!", you can hear it almost as a ghosted echo after the track ends.

The remastered VT revealed a lot of things that I never noticed before, little sounds here and there in various songs. It was like hearing it again brand new.

• Like 3

There are quite a few things I never noticed until the nth listen, but of course I can't think of them now. What's amazing is when I hear something new in a song I've heard 100 times. Often listening on a different system does that.
  • Like 3

The heartbeat at the end of Cygnus X-1. Only noticed it after reading about it and then putting on some headphones to listen more closely.

On the vinyl version of FbN, the chimes at the end of By-Tor don't end, they continue into the run-out groove. And the tonality of the chimes is different on vinyl than on CD.

There is a slight ghosted vocal at the end of Didacts and Narpets on CoS, when the vocals shout "Listen!", you can hear it almost as a ghosted echo after the track ends.

The remastered VT revealed a lot of things that I never noticed before, little sounds here and there in various songs. It was like hearing it again brand new.

I had to drag out my vinyl of Fly By Night and the chimes fade out before the run out groove.!Mine must be a later pressing,i've been ripped off!Yes I am still hearing things between the two Vapor Trails,particularly more of Alex's guitar parts.I have always tried to decipher the communication dialogue on Countdown.I have the Sector 3 release and it all sounds so clearer to my standard issue from years ago.
  • Like 3

I hope no one has been back spinning their vinyl and finding hidden messages that the God squad can jump on.We don't want see another Judas Priest,Ozzy or Led Zep scenario.

It took me a long time(until I joined this forum in fact)to figure out what Easter eggs were.

It took me awhile to really notice how complex and brilliant some of Neil's endings to songs.For example Vital Signs,Grand Designs,Bravado(listen to it, it's tricky,my drummer can't play it!)
  • Like 3

I had to drag out my vinyl of Fly By Night and the chimes fade out before the run out groove.!Mine must be a later pressing,i've been ripped off!Yes I am still hearing things between the two Vapor Trails,particularly more of Alex's guitar parts.I have always tried to decipher the communication dialogue on Countdown.I have the Sector 3 release and it all sounds so clearer to my standard issue from years ago.

Mostly accurate transcript of the Countdown dialogue follows. As a 12 year old I recorded the audio of that launch by holding my tape recorder up to the TV speaker.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=207518

And video/audio of the launch. I get goose bumps remembering how I felt that morning.

• Like 3

I had to drag out my vinyl of Fly By Night and the chimes fade out before the run out groove.!Mine must be a later pressing,i've been ripped off!

Yea I am not sure when mine was printed but based on the Mercury label it was probably early 80s. It doesnt have the skyline label like the 70s copies. I found it in a flea market. Along with AFTK and CoS. Someone was dumping some old Rush and I gladly grabbed them up!

But yes it does run into the inner groove on mine. Sorry yours does not, it is an interesting effect when you are not paying attention at first. My turntable has an automatic return so I missed it at first, and had to stop and play it again. I suppose if it was not automatic return, it would play perpetually.

"More dub" in The Camera Eye.

mornin' guv?

Doesn't Ged mutter, "'ello" just before Al says that?

I wasn't sure if it was an English greeting or "more dub".

Great topic

There is something odd happening under the vocals at the beginning of the second verse during In The Mood

It sounds intentional, as in subliminal ... Of course, it could be an unused track bleeding thru or ghosting ... Geddy double tracked his vocals on certain parts of the song, and perhaps this was just a mistake .... But it sounds intentional to me ..

Press you ear to the speaker at about the 55 second point .. It goes by fast .. And it is more noticeable on the left side ( right side if you are facing the speakers )

Probably just a bad punch-in.