Rush Are Done Touring According To Geddy Lee

Tony R

In some of the interviews you did earlier this year, before the tour, it seemed like you were in denial that this would be the end of the road for Rush. Is that fair to say?

[Laughs] I don’t think I was in denial, because I can’t say that this is the end of the road for Rush. But it’s certainly the end of the touring life for Rush, unless Neil has a change of heart. It’s really all down to him, to be honest. If he wants to go back on the road, Alex and I will be there.

It’s funny you say that, because Alex seemed pretty certain before the R40 tour that he was done with life in a touring band as well.

I think at the beginning of the tour, Alex wasn’t sure how his health would hold up, but by the end of it he had proven to himself that he could pull it off. And so I think he sort of regrets intimating that his body wouldn’t be able to handle it.

That's a little more direct that some of the "reading between the lines" comments they've made...

Yeah, and crystallises the fact that Lee and Lifeson are reluctant retirees.

• Like 1

Where'd you pull that from? must have missed that one....

YBG, Prog section.

The Yukon Blade Grinder?

Young Bi Guys

Edited by JARG
  • Like 2

YBG, Prog section.

The Yukon Blade Grinder?

Young Bi Guys

Are you pulling my leg? I can google and find out......

Edit: Oh dear, it was a mistake to google that. :blink:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 8

YBG, Prog section.

The Yukon Blade Grinder?

Young Bi Guys

Are you pulling my leg? I can i can google and find out......

Edit: Oh dear, it was a mistake to google that. :blink:

Omfg loflrotf. ;)

I'm still laughing, but it was pretty bad. :LOLsign: :LOLsign: :LOLsign:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

YBG, Prog section.

The Yukon Blade Grinder?

Young Bi Guys

sure, but you can't really call them young anymore!

Neither is Tony... ;)

Once again, thank you Neil. I really appreciate it. (Sarcasm)

And I love how geddy doesn't even hide it, he knows the end of Rush was Neil's doing.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 2

YBG, Prog section.

The Yukon Blade Grinder?

That was what I thought of, too!

Yiddish Bond Girls? (oy vey)

Hahahahaaaa!!

And yet another cycle of Neil bashing shall commence...

Yes, we get it.... Neil is done. Both Geddy and Alex have said there is no Rush without all three. Thus, no Neil, no Rush. For those who have not, please, get over it, people. If anything, Geddy actually seems resolved to it, as well (assuming this interview quote is legit).

But, really, Neil is obligated to continue doing something he is not interested in doing? To who? For what? Why?

A slightly related note... I once left a job and career path that I was both good at and successful in.... but my heart was no longer in it. It was my time to move on. A good number of the people who worked with and for me were sad. They told me as much. They told me they wished I would stay. It was touching, and yet my mind and heart were not swayed.

But, unlike this situation, not one of them found fault in me for making a decision that was best and right for me. Therein lies the difference. None of them thought they somehow owned me.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 3

How do you get Neil on board with a new album? How does that conversation go? Is it just a case of saying to him: “Get your arse down here!”?

It’s more diplomatic than that. I’d say: “How do you feel about writing? Would you like to write something?” That simple.

So what would it take to get the three of you in the studio together?

I think it would just take a couple of phone calls, really. Forget all this nonsense about touring, I need to write some songs. [Pauses] I’m going to do it anyway. Alex and I have already talked about it. The only thing we haven’t talked about is whether Neil’s going to come along for that ride.

Have you had that conversation with him separately? Have you broached the subject of a new Rush album?

No.

But you’re saying that you and Alex could do an album together, not as Rush?

Yeah.

Are you considering it?

It’s an option.

And what would it sound like?

[Laughs] Probably like Rush without Neil.

Does it feel like you’re in limbo at the moment?

No, I don’t think ‘limbo’ is the right way to describe it. I can’t speak for them – in fact, I’m certainly not speaking for them, just for me – but I found the end of the tour to be a very sad time. I was melancholy for quite a while because I felt it was… truncated. I’m not saying that my partners weren’t justified in their decision – I’m not criticising their decision in any way. I’m just describing my feeling. And I wasn’t ready to end the tour. And the thought that it might have been our last one really hit me pretty hard. So it took me a while to get past that point. And I am past that point, and now I’m trying to think about what the future might bring for me. I’m trying to be more optimistic about it. And I have gotten drunk with Al a couple of times, and Al is… well, he’s Al. If I call him, he’s there.

You say you’re trying to be optimistic. Is it easy or hard to be optimistic right now?

[Laughs] It’s my nature, so it’s easy.

So do we talk about Rush in the past tense or the present tense?

The present tense. Very much in the present tense. Y

• Like 1