Is Rock In Its Final Decade?

Lorraine

As long as there are bands like Mastodon and Baroness the answer is no. Like Gozer the Traveller it will come in different forms but you will know it when you see it.

2 great freakin' bands right ther, my friend.

Mick

• Like 1

And take into acvcount you can hear ANYTHING at ANYTIME.......Before release day even!!!!!!!!

The only thing dead is the surprise and awe aspect.

not the music.

Mick

And if the music scene was the same back in 1979 and 1980, there would still be fools thinking that Permanent Waves was an 80s album even though any true Rush fan (like Lorraine) would have heard it the the 70s.

• Like 2

And take into acvcount you can hear ANYTHING at ANYTIME.......Before release day even!!!!!!!!

The only thing dead is the surprise and awe aspect.

not the music.

Mick

And if the music scene was the same back in 1979 and 1980, there would still be fools thinking that Permanent Waves was an 80s album even though any true Rush fan (like Lorraine) would have heard it the the 70s.

This

This is an interesting plot twist in the age old argument.

(It's a seventies record to me)

• Like 1

Rock n roll is dead in my opinion and people who want to bash bands who are still touring because they're "too old" are just spitting on the corpse. Edited by fraroc

Rock n roll is dead in my opinion and people who want to bash bands who are still touring because they're "too old" are just spitting on the corpse.

We might whinge they are too old, but we also have more fun than you because we embrace modern bands and love them too.

• Like 4

I was born in the early 60's and rock was the Devils music. I was at Woodstock at 5yrs old and rock was the siren of the counter revolution. I remember being young and living in late 70's NYC and the Disco craze in full swing. A lot of people said that rock was dead. I remember living through the 80's and the belief rock was stagnant and doomed. I remember in the 90's the new emergance of rock but the experts claimed it was short lived. The 2000's finally accepted rock as the norm. I have come to believe rock and roll is akin to the universe. It is cyclical there will be ups and downs but rock and roll is going to go on for ever!

Long Live Rock...

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 3

I'm just glad I was alive to have witnessed and live through all that I did. I'm glad I was around when each one of these over-sixty rockers and bands had their first hit - be it a silly 45 or a "long-playing" album.

Cheers to that !

• Like 3

Rock n roll is dead in my opinion and people who want to bash bands who are still touring because they're "too old" are just spitting on the corpse.

Lol...

I think anyone who endlessly whines about Geddy's voice, Paul Stanley's voice and David Lee Roth's voice cold all stand to be a little more grateful for what we still have today.

I think anyone who endlessly whines about Geddy's voice, Paul Stanley's voice and David Lee Roth's voice cold all stand to be a little more grateful for what we still have today.

Yes.

We have bands like Mastodon, Opeth, Baroness, Nightwish, Alter Bridge, Muse, The Temperance Movement... Who needs to constantly rag on about the past when the present is so much fun!

You complain so much about those that complain, you completely miss the point of all those who do complain, but don't complain about everything.

Sometimes we do have to stop complaining and just enjoy what we have left.

Which is plenty. And when these bands die out, we will still have plenty. And we will still have those who complain, and complain and complain. Often about those that complain. And again, they miss the point.

Your taste might be dying Fraroc, but some of us have learned to live with the past and embrace the present and anticipate the future.

Shut. Up.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

Waste so much time bitching and bitching and bitching about the past that before you know it you brcome the senile town coot who has tourettes.

shouting random things like........ XANADU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And SCREW NEIL!!!!!!!!!!

and all the moms say don't make eye contact honey.......you might wind up catching the stupid.

Mick

• Like 1

Seriously, so many people think that if something doesn't match their taste, even if it be an entire era of music, it must be entirely worthless and a sign of THE END FOR MUSIC.

But times have changed, the media has changed, the way of listening to music has changed, the public perception of what it is that makes a star has changed.

Hate modern music all you like, it is the futures sound of yesteryear, and there will be millions upon millions of people who look back fondly on the good times and think "I was there!".

I already feel that way about a lot of the great music of my schoolboy years.

Hating the present doesn't mean our voice speaks for all.

• Like 2

Music/rock is only as dead as you make it.

if you refuse to venture out......it's dead.

Mick

I think those people are either lazy or just have tunnel vision. Wanting to be right so they can act like a martyr for this "dying" art form. It isn't dead, it's more like rock has settled. It exploded in the 70's, came back down with an aftershock in the 90's. All the settled debris can represent the million different subgenres. To me last year was one of the best for music since 2000. i found so many albums I enjoyed.

• Like 5

Mick

I think those people are either lazy or just have tunnel vision. Wanting to be right so they can act like a martyr for this "dying" art form. It isn't dead, it's more like rock has settled. It exploded in the 70's, came back down with an aftershock in the 90's. All the settled debris can represent the million different subgenres. To me last year was one of the best for music since 2000. i found so many albums I enjoyed.

totally agree. this debate springs up anytime rock goes into a down period. it always comes back up.

so shut up........buy a freakin' itunes giftcard or get a spotify account and happy searching, lol if your technologically handicapped.......find a young person ANYWHERE and Have them hook you up, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

I would say since nu metal died down, hard rock and metal has been in a constant rise, and I truly think a lot of the greatest rock bands and albums of all time arrived fully, whether they formed or merely peaked, within the last 16 years.

And also, all these guys who think the old school rules: sorry but a lot of these classic rock bands at times purely sucked.

I stooped viewing the world of classic rock through rose tinted glasses the day I first listened to Kilroy Was Here. It got worse when I tried seventies glam rock and disco.

No trend in rock music within the last twenty five years has sucked worse than the worst of the seventies.

And I think Nightwish were more consistent than Led Zeppelin.

So take my opinion, love or hate it, I really do not care anymore.

• Like 1

the great Fra of the roc has spoken!!!!!!!!!!

we done folks

Mick

Why his name doesn't end in "K" is a mystery.

the Fraroc is a rebel.

Mick

:haz: :musicnote: "They couldn't see what I thought would be so obvious..." :musicnote: :haz:

• Like 1