Who on the forum admits to being a hipster?

treeduck

So a hipster doesn't exist, it's merely an insult for certain people?

I think it's a look and an attitude that was not frowned upon at one time, but quickly became seen as sort of fake and transparent- flaky, if that makes sense to you. (I'm not sure if Brits use that term- but I think of a flake as someone who is not really genuinely concerned about...well, anything).

I think hipsters (or young persons that think independently, are not overly worried about conforming to certain social expectations and tend to use mass transit and live on lower budgets, I dunno) still exist, but as soon as it was jumped on as a marketing/fashion concept (and it was, big time; there are still a lot of hipster ads around) nobody wanted to be "those people" , the trendy fakes in the ads :)

So you have to be a certain age then?

It may be possible for hippies to age gracefully. But not hipsters.

:P

Is a man who is part dipshit and part hipster a hipshit?

• Like 3

Oh, they exist. And they're all over the SF Bay Area.

Me? I am most definitely not a hipster.

Oh, they exist. And they're all over the SF Bay Area.

Me? I am most definitely not a hipster.

We need to go out and take pictures of some so we can all be informed.

Here's a definition of what a hipster is:

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I'm not one nor do I ever recall seeing one before. Maybe they don't live in the same area I do? If I have seen one before, it was in passing and I didn't think anything of it.

People throw the word hipster around the internet a lot as some kind of insult usually. For a long time, I didn't even know what that was until I did a google search on it. I got an idea of what they are now but i'm still not sure I fully get it.

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

Definitely written by a hipster

• Like 2

I'm not one nor do I ever recall seeing one before. Maybe they don't live in the same area I do? If I have seen one before, it was in passing and I didn't think anything of it.

People throw the word hipster around the internet a lot as some kind of insult usually. For a long time, I didn't even know what that was until I did a google search on it. I got an idea of what they are now but i'm still not sure I fully get it.

Here's a group of them in the early morning hours. They're likely on their way to a plate of waffles and fried chicken. If so, rest assured, they will tweet about how fantastic they are and how much they dig them.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/television/cms/binary/5980381.jpg?size=620x400s

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

No hipster here. I'm with Lorraine....I JUST MISSED being a hippie.....post hippieism I guess you'd call it....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Looneys/kookooeyes.gif

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m563/kamrahai/TRF/bingo%201.jpg

By what my current avatar of a South Park render of myself indicates, I'm Asian (Though "uber-hot"? Uh let's not be delusional here.), wear glasses but they're thin framed. Only thing I do share with this "wonderful" hipster bingo chart here is that I do wear hoodies, and if we wanna go back a bit when I used to smoke cigarettes, Parliament was the preferred choice. Does that make me a "close but not quite hipster"? :huh:

By what my current avatar of a South Park render of myself indicates, I'm Asian (Though "uber-hot"? Uh let's not be delusional here.), wear glasses but they're thin framed. Only thing I do share with this "wonderful" hipster bingo chart here is that I do wear hoodies, and if we wanna go back a bit when I used to smoke cigarettes, Parliament was the preferred choice. Does that make me a "close but not quite hipster"? :huh:

More importantly if you have chuck taylor and puma shoes you would have a BINGO!

• Like 1

I'm Asian too, I hate the word "uber", and I have 3 skull shirts...though those are of The Punisher type. No chance would I have anything near a Bingo.

A spider may appear to be an insect but an insect it is not.

More importantly if you have chuck taylor and puma shoes you would have a BINGO!

hey now I've been rocking chucks for 35-40 years. I actually played Basketball in chucks, which is what they were originally used for. Hipsters have no monopoly on chucks.
  • Like 1

Here's a group of them in the early morning hours. They're likely on their way to a plate of waffles and fried chicken. If so, rest assured, they will tweet about how fantastic they are and much they dig them.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/television/cms/binary/5980381.jpg?size=620x400s

Holy crap- I had chicken and waffles for breakfast one day, about three months ago, at IHoP...does that qualify me? :scared:

• Like 1

Here's a group of them in the early morning hours. They're likely on their way to a plate of waffles and fried chicken. If so, rest assured, they will tweet about how fantastic they are and much they dig them.

Holy crap- I had chicken and waffles for breakfast one day, about three months ago, at IHoP...does that qualify me? :scared:

No. Eating that isn't enough. You'd have to do more.

No. Eating that isn't enough. You'd have to do more.

Excellent!

According to the hipster bingo chart, I would likely be the subject of intense hipster ridicule at this point anyway, just due to my age.

:codger:

My age, I own a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors, (blue), One skull T shirt, three Batman T's, (one's a Joker-Heath Ledger) several concert T's (RUSH, Tiles, Symphony X), Ford Ts.....but that doesn't make me a jerkoff hipster. "and if you don't believe that, well, you're all F**ked!" ("CUT! CUT...you can't say that on radio!") Thanks, Ashleigh Roachclip! Edited by OldRUSHfan

My age, I own a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors, (blue), One skull T shirt, three Batman T's, (one's a Joker-Heath Ledger) several concert T's (RUSH, Tiles, Symphony X), Ford Ts.....but that doesn't make me a jerkoff hipster. "and if you don't believe that, well, you're all F**ked!" ("CUT! CUT...you can't say that on radio!") Thanks, Ashleigh Roachclip!

I've rocked the Chuck Taylors and knit sweaters, and enjoyed Pabst, for years. Nothing new about "casual cool" or drinking a working man's beer. Using mustache wax and combining a Grizzly Adams beard with a perfectly styled faux-hawk is where the hipsters jump the shark for me.
  • Like 2

My age, I own a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors, (blue), One skull T shirt, three Batman T's, (one's a Joker-Heath Ledger) several concert T's (RUSH, Tiles, Symphony X), Ford Ts.....but that doesn't make me a jerkoff hipster. "and if you don't believe that, well, you're all F**ked!" ("CUT! CUT...you can't say that on radio!") Thanks, Ashleigh Roachclip!

I've rocked the Chuck Taylors and knit sweaters, and enjoyed Pabst, for years. Nothing new about "casual cool" or drinking a working man's beer. Using mustache wax and combining a Grizzly Adams beard with a perfectly styled faux-hawk is where the hipsters jump the shark for me.

We used to say, "PBR IS WEASEL PISS!!!" while we drank our Miller High Life.....then on to Mickey's Malt Liquor, Little KIngs creme Ale , Molson's Export Ale, and LaBats Blue...Then in the late '80s, Bud Dry, Harp Lager and Whitbread Ale....Sapporo

Definitely written by a hipster

Oh, for sure. And how can they be independent thinkers when they all look and think alike?

• Like 2

I'm Asian too, I hate the word "uber", and I have 3 skull shirts...though those are of The Punisher type. No chance would I have anything near a Bingo.

:ph34r: You would have loved my former neighbors. Ask Treeduck about them.

Have they moved? Who lives there now?

Yes, about six months ago they were evicted, but they still live nearby. :smoke:

A sane person lives there now. :)

• Like 1

Yes, about six months ago they were evicted, but they still live nearby. :smoke:

A sane person lives there now. :)

Do you still go over for your stash? :smoke:

• Like 1