Geddy Interview - working with different producers, bass collection, etc.

The Analog Cub

I just can't believe that some of you are this upset about it! Obla deeeee obla daaaaa LIFE GOES ON.... BRAAAAAAAA......

Are you really that stupid?

I for one am not upset. I'm merely trying to make sense of the situation as there are clearly some plot holes. If you cannot grasp this or do not care fine, but let those of us trying to make sense of what is happening within the band do so.

Clearly you and Peart are clear as to his intentions. Unfortunately Geddy Lee obviously isn't.

I see a band that is DONE... Neil has stated his intentions, and Geddy continues to say that "things are great" I think Geddy is being delusional, you don't hear much from Alex.

Neil looks like he's retired to me, MUCH like Bill Bruford has retired! Although Bruford has put out a statement telling people of this fact!

IF they happen to put something together that may be the three of them playing in the future then BONUS...but as of this point, I'm waiting for stuff to start coming out that was sitting in a vault...old live stuff...some alternate takes etc... Not holding my breath

:facepalm:

"I think Geddy is being delusional"

Right. Now we know where you stand can you please go stand in the corner wearing the nice hat with a letter D on it?

You need a shirt that says DELUSIONAL also... give it up dude... you're grasping at straws! I'm just being realistic.

Not holding my breath for the next Rush tour, so....I think they would have announced R40 part II if this was still going to keep happening ...

Edited by Jaminbenb

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed that.

My take is with or without Neil, as Rush or in some other form, we haven't seen the end of Geddy. As I live a few hours from Toronto I have confidence that sometime somewhere I will see him perform again.

• Like 1

I just can't believe that some of you are this upset about it! Obla deeeee obla daaaaa LIFE GOES ON.... BRAAAAAAAA......

I for one am not upset. I'm merely trying to make sense of the situation as there are clearly some plot holes. If you cannot grasp this or do not care fine, but let those of us trying to make sense of what is happening within the band do so.

Clearly you and Peart are clear as to his intentions. Unfortunately Geddy Lee obviously isn't.

I see a band that is DONE... Neil has stated his intentions, and Geddy continues to say that "things are great" I think Geddy is being delusional, you don't hear much from Alex.

Neil looks like he's retired to me, MUCH like Bill Bruford has retired! Although Bruford has put out a statement telling people of this fact!

IF they happen to put something together that may be the three of them playing in the future then BONUS...but as of this point, I'm waiting for stuff to start coming out that was sitting in a vault...old live stuff...some alternate takes etc... Not holding my breath

Right. Now we know where you stand can you please go stand in the corner wearing the nice hat with a letter D on it?

You need a shirt that says DELUSIONAL also... give it up dude... you're grasping at straws! I'm just being realistic.

Not holding my breath for the next Rush tour, so....I think they would have announced R40 part II if this was still going to keep happening ...

:wtf:

I'm being delusional in suggesting that Geddy Lee doesn't know what kind of retired Neil Peart is? Maybe in your Universe people are happy to wallow in their own take on things. Whereas I'm just using a direct quote from Lee himself.

Have you got any more of this nonsense or can we all go to bed safe in the knowledge that our village idiot has returned to his village?

I'm being delusional in suggesting that Geddy Lee doesn't know what kind of retired Neil Peart is? Maybe in your Universe people are happy to wallow in their own take on things. Whereas I'm just using a direct quote from Lee himself.

Have you got any more of this nonsense or can we all go to bed safe in the knowledge that our village idiot has returned to his village?

Well when Neil says that he's done, that's all I need to hear as proof...hell even his DAUGHTER said he was retired!

Well when Neil says that he's done, that's all I need to hear as proof...hell even his DAUGHTER said he was retired!

And presumably she told you when you were in the playground together.

Neil has been saying for a while now that he wants to retire. He just kept getting coaxed into "one more". After R40, Neil is taking the tour as his last obligation. He probably didn't mind the paycheque, but probably doesn't really need it either at this point. His motivations for doing what he does have always been a bit different from anyone else I think. He's got nothing at all to prove to anyone. He wants to retire. He is done with the grind, and his body is tired and he doesn't want his performances to decline.

I think the reason Geddy and Alex are not in the know of whether or not Neil is done touring or done altogether, is because they all agreed to give everyone some space to think about it. Once time passes, they will get together and talk about it. Clearly that hasn't happened yet. They are still giving Neil his space. Guys - that's the sign of a very strong friendship, not a weak one. It's respecting him. They understand completely, but just because not all are in agreement right now, doesn't mean that plans won't develop. Or not - I don't think anyone really knows right now. I have spoken to people who know Neil, and they don't know what his plans are. Those who know Neil, know not to pry, not to push, not to force him to do things. He will come around, or he won't. No one knows yet.

I hope he has another album in him.

• Like 4

Grow up dude...you're being an ass! I get it that you're going to cry because Rush is done....but it's happening, and it had to happen eventually. Listen to your old albums, and just mope in your little corner!

Intel coming out of the Rush camp is that Neil is retired, he's been wanting to call it quits for a while now, and they keep pulling him out....Geddy wants to keep going, and Alex is home smoking a joint waiting for whatever is next regardless of what that may be!

Grow up dude...you're being an ass! I get it that you're going to cry because Rush is done....but it's happening, and it had to happen eventually. Listen to your old albums, and just mope in your little corner!

Intel coming out of the Rush camp is that Neil is retired, he's been wanting to call it quits for a while now, and they keep pulling him out....Geddy wants to keep going, and Alex is home smoking a joint waiting for whatever is next regardless of what that may be!

Dude?

Dude?

Well your name isn't Caitlyn! (well she's a dude, too)

• Like 1

Dude?

Well, this is fun!

Dude?

Well, this is fun!

Playground Psychotics.

Why is it such a crime that Neil "creates his own path?" We all know that Geddy and Alex are best friends from school, and they have a different relationship. I'm sure Neil has fun with them, and enjoyed his time with the band, but he wasn't the old "asshole buddy" that the other two are.

Give it a rest already....

That's not the issue.

However. we can create a new one if you wish.

So what IS the issue? Some of you seem to be experts on what they are all thinking.....

Indeed. Most people here seem to have this magical insight into Geddy and Alexs' feelings and ideas and Neil's intentions.

Why is it such a crime that Neil "creates his own path?" We all know that Geddy and Alex are best friends from school, and they have a different relationship. I'm sure Neil has fun with them, and enjoyed his time with the band, but he wasn't the old "asshole buddy" that the other two are.

Give it a rest already....

That's not the issue.

However. we can create a new one if you wish.

So what IS the issue? Some of you seem to be experts on what they are all thinking.....

Indeed. Most people here seem to have this magical insight into Geddy and Alexs' feelings and ideas and Neil's intentions.

Its called projecting.

Dude?

Well, this is fun!

Playground Psychotics.

I think it's hilarious that of all the times Tony has called other people fanboys, this time it's him being that way. The rest of us seem to be happy to let the matter go.

Let Neil do what he wants. Geddy and most likely Alex will do something eventually.

• Like 1

Cool interview (only watched the first half so far) because Geddy is always well spoken and interesting- thanks for putting this up! Really, though, if I knew Geddy was making so many interview stops for R40 live I would have applied to Harrisburg Magazine for a press pass and tried to get put on the schedule. I MISSED MY CHANCE !! :laughing guy: :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

It's clear that more than ever Peart sees the other two as work friends and colleagues rather than close friends.

I agree.

In his book "Roadshow" he refers to Alex and Geddy as the "Guys from work". Geddy talks about how Neil appeared in their lives during the interview. It would be hard to fit in with two schmo's you work with, travel all over the states in a car together, yet they consider you an outsider. It's on Geddy and Alex for not doing a better job in that department. Hard part is that Neil changed the band so much, his influence is much more than just a drummer. In many cases, he's the reason people show up to a Rush concert.

Years and years of riding on a bus or a funcraft with two people who treat you like your something of a hired gun or the "new" guy will take its toll on a person's psyche. There's a reason why Neil is the loner within the group. Let's hope he can feel a part of the band once again.

--Hannibal Lecter

http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/395159/hannibal-lecter.jpg

You really cannot take the perspective of a rather anti social introvert as being anything of substance other than his own skewed reality. I'm not defending anyone here, but none of us are there and none of us are privy to the real truth or any of the true realities of their personal interactions, the steps they may have taken towards friendship or any personality conflicts.

The real truth is they have stayed a band with Neil for 40 years and if he didn't like it, he would have left. They obviously didn't really quarrel or have ego issues to cloud their relationships, like most bands do.

Neil left Canada after his walkabout, he's always been an introvert and he has at least one personality disorder. You combine all of that and I am going to say there isn't going to be a whole lot of what many people would view as normal functioning friendships.

I hope you're not saying introverts have a skewed sense of reality.. because, if anything, an introverted person is more thoughtful by nature and the opposite would be true..

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

It's clear that more than ever Peart sees the other two as work friends and colleagues rather than close friends.

I agree.

In his book "Roadshow" he refers to Alex and Geddy as the "Guys from work". Geddy talks about how Neil appeared in their lives during the interview. It would be hard to fit in with two schmo's you work with, travel all over the states in a car together, yet they consider you an outsider. It's on Geddy and Alex for not doing a better job in that department. Hard part is that Neil changed the band so much, his influence is much more than just a drummer. In many cases, he's the reason people show up to a Rush concert.

Years and years of riding on a bus or a funcraft with two people who treat you like your something of a hired gun or the "new" guy will take its toll on a person's psyche. There's a reason why Neil is the loner within the group. Let's hope he can feel a part of the band once again.

--Hannibal Lecter

I agree too except I think Neil might be more to blame for being kind of a third wheel. I'm familiar with his personality type and it can be hard to get close enough to make friends with a guy like that.

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

Dude?

Well, this is fun!

Playground Psychotics.

I think it's hilarious that of all the times Tony has called other people fanboys, this time it's him being that way. The rest of us seem to be happy to let the matter go.

Let Neil do what he wants. Geddy and most likely Alex will do something eventually.

I'm clearly not being a fanboy.

How can Lee and Lifeson "do something", anything, if Peart has not made his intentions clear?

I'll put it another way, pretend it's not Rush and apply this state of affairs to any other band you like or any family/relationship situation and try and be objective about it.

Lee and Lifeson are going to contact Peart at some point to say they are ready to begin the writing process for a new album not knowing whether Peart is onboard. That's one hell of a great partnership, never mind friendship, don't you think?

It is clear that outside of the band that Peart has no relationship with the other two and this fact is so horryfying to the fanboy base that they'd rather stay in their little bubbles and pretend that whatever develops boils down to whatever decision "the band" makes is the correct decision and the best decision for the band. When in fact it will all rest on them accepting what Peart wants to do and "the band" will be forced to go along with it on a moments notice.

• Like 2

Dude?

Well, this is fun!

Playground Psychotics.

How can Lee and Lifeson "do something", anything, if Peart has not made his intentions clear?

I'll put it another way, pretend it's not Rush and apply this state of affairs to any other band you like or any family/relationship situation and try and be objective about it.

Lee and Lifeson are going to contact Peart at some point to say they are ready to begin the writing process for a new album not knowing whether Peart is onboard. That's one hell of a great partnership, never mind friendship, don't you think?

It is clear that outside of the band that Peart has no relationship with the other two and this fact is so horryfying to the fanboy base that they'd rather stay in their little bubbles and pretend that whatever develops boils down to whatever decision "the band" makes is the correct decision and the best decision for the band. When in fact it will all rest on them accepting what Peart wants to do and "the band" will be forced to go along with it on a moments notice.

I stand by my comment. No one here seems to be upset by the situation except you. :)

• Like 1

I agree.

--Hannibal Lecter

You really cannot take the perspective of a rather anti social introvert as being anything of substance other than his own skewed reality. I'm not defending anyone here, but none of us are there and none of us are privy to the real truth or any of the true realities of their personal interactions, the steps they may have taken towards friendship or any personality conflicts.

The real truth is they have stayed a band with Neil for 40 years and if he didn't like it, he would have left. They obviously didn't really quarrel or have ego issues to cloud their relationships, like most bands do.

Neil left Canada after his walkabout, he's always been an introvert and he has at least one personality disorder. You combine all of that and I am going to say there isn't going to be a whole lot of what many people would view as normal functioning friendships.

you got some good points there. I have my own 'mental health'challenges & I know how social awkwardness & the desperation to be away from people, can hit you, unexpectedly sometimes. I think that's why he would run for the bus!

Dude?

Well, this is fun!

Playground Psychotics.

I stand by my comment. No one here seems to be upset by the situation except you. :)

Is there a need for an intervention? 12 steps to accept that Neil's retired?

• Like 1