The Official Lacuna Coil Thread

Segue Myles

Looking forward to this. Most of their albums seem to have a similar theme to them anyways. But this one seems like all the songs will deal with insanity in some form. So maybe it will be more of a concept album?
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to it as well- nice to have a confirmed release date.

I'm perfectly okay with something really heavy again...I say bring it on! :haz:

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to it as well- nice to have a confirmed release date.

I'm perfectly okay with something really heavy again...I say bring it on! :haz:

Judging by that short preview, we will have HEAVY and some intricate keyboard work as promised!

I am getting excited...I just impatiently want a song or several RIGHT NOW!

Also...the album comes out on my best friends wedding day. I am best man. If I do what I always do with Lacuna Coil, which is wait until I have the album in my hands (tradition dictates I get it on release day...), then I might not be the first here to hear it!

Then again...I bet a few will probably listen to the leak...which who knows...might tempt me out of tradition!

I love the artwork. This might actually be my favourite Lacuna Coil cover yet.

And I just have to say...back in 2009 when Shallow Life was released, I remember having a quiet and unsettling fear that that album would be the beginning of the decline of my favourite band up to that point.

Now in 2016, Lacuna Coil continue to surprise me and I am still always worried they might release a dud. But...why worry?

They never let me down!

I would love it if Delirium is for 2016, what Endless Forms Most Beautiful was for me last year. Am I asking for too much? Yes. Yes I am.

But then again...there is so much about this record already that differs greatly from every other LC release to date, and this genuinely excites me!

And I remember when Dark Adrenaline came out, I said on the Emptyspiral forum that I had strong suspicions that Lacuna Coil were going to grow back into their roots with a forward thinking mentality, mirroring, but not aping, the evolution of Paradise Lost.

I am so in tune with this band and their mentality that I got this correct as well!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

And I just have to say...back in 2009 when Shallow Life was released, I remember having a quiet and unsettling fear that that album would be the beginning of the decline of my favourite band up to that point.

Now in 2016, Lacuna Coil continue to surprise me and I am still always worried they might release a dud. But...why worry?

They never let me down!

I would love it if Delirium is for 2016, what Endless Forms Most Beautiful was for me last year. Am I asking for too much? Yes. Yes I am.

But then again...their is so much about this record already that differs greatly from every other release to date, and this genuinely excites me!

As far as I am concerned, they have been on a hot streak ever since Dark Adrenaline- two fantastic albums back to back. So...might this make it three in a row?

It will be interesting to hear what it is about the keyboards on the new record that have made that instrument a real topic of conversation in advance of the release. I know a few months ago (during the studio sessions, I guess), the very early information was that there were overt elements of electronica...but then later on, Cristina said that the record is definitely as heavy as anything else they've done...so... :huh: But I'm anxious for it!

• Like 1

They never let me down!

But then again...their is so much about this record already that differs greatly from every other release to date, and this genuinely excites me!

As far as I am concerned, they have been on a hot streak ever since Dark Adrenaline- two fantastic albums back to back. So...might this make it three in a row?

It will be interesting to hear what it is about the keyboards on the new record that have made that instrument a real topic of conversation in advance of the release. I know a few months ago (during the studio sessions, I guess), the very early information was that there were overt elements of electronica...but then later on, Cristina said that the record is definitely as heavy as anything else they've done...so... :huh: But I'm anxious for it!

Their is already some really good keyboard sounds going on in that little clip, I think we have the best of both worlds!

I still think Unleashed Memories has the electronica sound down to perfection when it comes to LC. Sure, it was recorded on a far less grand budget (by LC standards), with a thin production (it might be the lightest sounding LC album to date), but it is perfect.

This new album hopefully expands on the best elements of BCH. They keep saying it's inspired by soundtracks, and that was, in my opinion, the best part of BCH. That album could have been released as a bug budget video album. It would have worked.

This record I look forward too because it was produced by Marco Coti Zelati, the bands principle songwriter and bassist, recorded in Italy, features one guitarist (I assume), making it only the second of its type after the release of In A Reverie back in 1999, features a new, younger and possibly more forward thinking drummer.

And apparently, plenty of harsh vocals. Which Andi excels at. He won me over from day one with his vocals anyway, so I have never NOT loved him but I am glad LC remain centred on dual vocals after all these years.

And both of them truly raised the bar for themselves on BCH.

Victims was my favourite song for vocals on BCH, I loved how they both explored new tones and techniques.

Edited by Segue Myles

I try not to get over excited for the release of anything.......as that's a perfect storm of disappoint. but ever since clicking with this band there's only 2 albums that do nothing for me. I'm not excited per se for this. cause despite my respect for this band........i still only put them in my casual like category. but i will say i am interested.

so i shall wait with interest, lol

Mick

The only album in recent memory that disappointed me after I hyped it up was The Astonishing.

The last five years, every album I have hyped up surpassed expectations:

Alter Bridge

Lacuna Coil (twice)

Within Temptation (twice)

Nightwish (three times)

Paradise Lost (twice...one disappointing effort as well, but I wasn't excited for it)

No Doubt (once)

Khoma (once)

I have every bit of faith I will love this new album.

• Like 1

I just looked it up......DARK song titles. The only one that made me roll my eyes was You Love me Cause i Hate you

I just heard a valley girl accent in my head.

you know........."LIKE OMIGOD!!!!!!! You love me cause i hate you........like.....total spaz!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I just looked it up......DARK song titles. The only one that made me roll my eyes was You Love me Cause i Hate you

I just heard a valley girl accent in my head.

you know........."LIKE OMIGOD!!!!!!! You love me cause i hate you........like.....total spaz!!!!!!!!!

Mick

You and me both haha

• Like 1

I am getting wildly impatient for any sign of an actual song off this new album.

I am getting wildly impatient for any sign of an actual song off this new album.

Album is out at the end of May, so my guess is in within the next few weeks we'll have the first single. I didn't listen to the clip you posted above since I hate those short song clips that don't really tell you anything. Give me a full song as a preview for the album or give me nothing.

• Like 1

Call me impatient...but announcing thay the album is available for pre-order, that they have major festivalz booked and a new look BEFORE releasing a single song is really ticking me off...

I swear Guns N Roses had less time to wait for Chinese Democracy.

The wait is annoying me. I know I will buy the album, but I still refuse to preorder it til they give me something!

Myles Kennedy lends his guitar work to the new LC album's title track!

• Like 1

that'll be awesome!

I 'm hoping this good for you man. i'm not the hugest fan so a miss wouldn't bother me.

But you got a lot riding on this, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Oh my word there are two reviews of the album, both say the same things pretty much and apparently this album has the best vocal work to date from Andrea and an abundance of excellent synth work.

It's the heaviest they have ever been, but not sacrificing melody. I will post the reviews in a moment!

• Like 1

that'll be awesome!

I 'm hoping this good for you man. i'm not the hugest fan so a miss wouldn't bother me.

But you got a lot riding on this, lol

Mick

I've never been let down and I am hoping for a modest 7/10 this time. It's the least I can hope for but it sounds like losing three members has worked wonders on their creativity.

• Like 1

Review number one:

Lacuna Coil – Delirium - PlanetMosh

planetmosh.com › Reviews

Rating: 5 - ‎Review by Kris White

Delirium is the new album from the Italian Gothfathers Lacuna Coil. The band formed back in 1994 and have pulled through, growing and changing like an empty spiral of creativity, never ending and always evolving. From the debut In a Reverie, through to Broken Crown Halo, they have showed versatility and resolve throughout their career regardless of fluctuating personnel. Let’s take a step out of our own sanity and into their Delirium.

From the opening track The House Of Shame you know instinctively know you are in for a real treat when Marco’s bassline rumbles in with the power of a steamroller. With the departure of Maus, he stepped up to the plate on guitar along with bass and keyboards. In doing so he has created a monster. What I found strangely refreshing yet ironic is that even in the absence of their former guitarist I feel Delirium has more lead guitar parts; I’m especially fond of the solo in Downfall which was contributed to by Alter Bridges’ Myles Kennedy (possibly as a payback for a guest appearance by Cristina with him many moons ago).

Overall Delirium has a much darker feel to it compared to previous albums. What contributes to this darkness is a much fuller sound with the addition of more synths throughout the production. It makes me think that perhaps the recent tour with Motionless In White left its mark on their sound. It is a sound that just further immerses the listener in the insanity of Delirium. Both Andrea and Cristina have really pushed their vocals even further on this release, with Cristina reaching an even higher range and Andrea perfecting his low growls. The dual diversity of their performances enhances each track to solidify the strength of the album.

Lacuna Coil have described Delirium as being, “about the horrors that we must face in everyday life by exploring the unknown, and to one day, hopefully find the cure.” You can really get that feel from the album, it’s beautiful, dark and their heaviest album to date but underneath it all you can feel the undertones of hope. This is especially portrayed in the vocal melodies of Cristina Scabbia, particularly on Ghost in the Mist, with the full on metal assault and Andrea’s growls being broken up with Cristina’s vocal parts. To me it’s like a ray of hope shining through all the darkness around.

Delirium has fast become my favourite Lacuna Coil release to date; showing that they are very much here to stay, through all the changes over the years, they’ve become stronger and more creative than ever. I suggest you all let go of the familiar and take a step into Delirium when it hits stores May 27th.

My favourite track is Take Me Home; kicking off with a eerie chant that has haunted my dreams since hearing it! The bass-driven verses and groove of the chorus make this a really special track. It really is a hard task to pick out a favourite though, each track as a stand alone is strong, and really breaks the mould for what we have come to expect from Lacuna Coil.

Summary:

Delirium is beautiful, dark and Lacuna Coil's heaviest album to date, but underneath you can feel the undertones of hope shining through the surrounding darkness.

• Like 3

Review number two:

http://www.musicalypse.net/?p=3555

Artist: Lacuna Coil

Album: Delirium

Released: 01.04.2016 (North America), 31.05.2016 (Europe, Oceania)

Label: Century Media

Oh Lacuna Coil, how I used to love you. I don’t remember how I came across these guys back in the day, but I remember being blown away by Comalies (2002), so I picked up Karmacode (2006) as soon as it came out after a 4-year gap between albums. I loved Cristina Scabbia‘s singing style, even though I was never the hugest fan of Andrea Ferro‘s vocals, but their style was really different amidst the piles and piles of female-fronted clone bands.

The last couple of LC albums, unfortunately, have just been completely forgettable. I didn’t mind the first single, “Trip the Darkness,” from Dark Adrenaline (2012), though it was pretty repetitive. And by the time we got to Broken Crown Halo (2014), I couldn’t be bothered to listen through the whole album more than twice before giving it up as a total disappointment. Shallow Life (2009) seemed to be fairly unpopular with the fans, but I think what separates these albums for me is that Shallow Life was simply poppy/catchy, while the other two were uninteresting. At least poppy metal can be fun and catchy (look into Amaranthe’s popularity, if you don’t believe me), but Dark Adrenaline and Broken Crown Halo seemed quite uninspired.

So when 2016’s Delirium was announced, I had lost all ability to hope for a good album, as well as most of my interest in the band. Of course, there’s always hope. Though Hydra was no The Silent Force, Within Temptation was moving back in the right direction, and King of Kings brought Leaves’ Eyes back from the dead for me. So why couldn’t Lacuna Coil have a comeback too? With the press releases stating that Delirium would be one of their heaviest albums to date, I didn’t dare to hope, but an open mind is always a useful tool of the trade! With a nearly all-new line-up, who knows what might happen?

I had planned to put this album on and have it in the background as I did some studying. The music to “The House of Shadows” started playing and the first thought that came to my mind was, “Holy what the f**k!?” That roar at the beginning blasted me nearly right out of my pants. As I said, I’ve never found Andrea Ferro to be an especially good male vocalist, so I was not expecting that at all. In fact, I can’t even recall Ferro trying to properly growl before, now that I think about it. I’m not sure how I feel about the album just yet, but they undoubtedly caught my attention! Immediately in this song, Ferro has gone deeper and darker than I recall ever hearing him, and Cristina Scabbia has come back up to a higher level that I haven’t heard since Comalies. I’m a sucker for a good starting track, so I applaud them already!

By the second song, “Broken Things,” I was getting into it. There is still a strong flavor of their new style, but it’s darker and heavier than their last two albums, which is nice. Those modern poppy/catchy elements that have been losing them some followers are still present, but I feel like it’s stepped back at least as far as Swallow Life, or maybe even Karmacode. In fact, the first three songs could be considered a best-of of Lacuna Coil’s styles. “The House of Shadows” is very much like their earlier music, “Broken Things” is closer to Karmacode or Shallow Life, and “Delirium” very much has the feel of their newer albums, with its repetitive and accessible sound.

“Downfall” is the first slower song, though can’t quite be called a ballad. It’s a bit reminiscent of Comalies, at least vocals-wise for Scabbia, and Ferro is still doing his best to work on these growls. They’re not amazing, to tell the truth, but they’re impressive coming from someone who’s always just been “the male vocalist.” The album does, thanks to the loss of half of their band members, have a fair number of guest solos, and “Downfall” features none other than Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge, etc), who gives the band a taste of chill, casual, rock ‘n’ roll in the solo.

The attempt to use children to be creepy in the beginning of “Take Me Home” is fairly effective. We get a bit of a taste of the old Ferro vocal style here, but he’s developed a bit of grit thanks to all the growling that I certainly appreciate. One of Lacuna Coil’s recent downfalls has been getting repetitive in their songs over the years, and this song has the same flaw.

“Ghost in the Mist” is a fairly good track. It has a lot of the sounds that I enjoy from both vocalists, including Ferro’s newly-developed sounds, and even the title reminds me of older Lacuna Coil tracks, which is fun to notice. “My Demons,” as well, has caught my attention a few times since I’ve been listening to this album. The new band members are certainly showing their colors on this album as well. Ryan Blake Folden has certainly found the Lacuna Coil style and is keeping it alive, and Marco “Maki” Coti-Zelati shows a great deal of diversity with the guitars, keyboards, bass, and synth all in one.

“Ultimate Radio” is a solid closer for a decent comeback album. Ferro continues to sound far better than normal, and we get a good amount of Comalies -era Scabbia sound as well. The dynamics are solid, and it ends the album on a high note, which is almost as important as starting an album on a high note (but not quite).

Overall, I think both vocalists are doing very well in Delirium. The loyal, dedicated fans will recognize elements of Scabbia’s poppier sound from the more recent albums like Shallow Life, while the old fans will definitely get a throwback to Comalies and Unleashed Memories. Ferro is definitely progressing in a really good direction in this album. Delirium is definitely the darkest and heaviest thing I’ve heard from this band in ages, and it’s a solid step in the right direction for them, getting in touch with their original sound and what garnered them fame in the beginning, but also not abandoning that easy-to-handle poppish sound from their newer material altogether. The blend of the two is nice, and perhaps this means that Lacuna Coil is steering back into the right direction! However, I’ve never exactly been able to place what “it” exactly was that Lacuna Coil has lost over the years, and I don’t think this album has exactly found it again. The music these days, while good, is simply not as complex and moving as it once was. As such, my final score is 7/10, or 3 stars.

Track list:

1. The House of Shame

2. Broken Things

3. Delirium

4. Blood, Tears, Dust

5. Downfall

6. Take Me Home

7. You Love Me ‘Cause I Hate You

8. Ghost in the Mist

9. My Demons

10. Claustrophobia

11. Ultima Radio

Text: Amy Wiseman

Review number two:

Oh Lacuna Coil, how I used to love you. I don’t remember how I came across these guys back in the day, but I remember being blown away by Comalies (2002), so I picked up Karmacode (2006) as soon as it came out after a 4-year gap between albums. I loved Cristina Scabbia‘s singing style, even though I was never the hugest fan of Andrea Ferro‘s vocals, but their style was really different amidst the piles and piles of female-fronted clone bands.

The last couple of LC albums, unfortunately, have just been completely forgettable. I didn’t mind the first single, “Trip the Darkness,” from Dark Adrenaline (2012), though it was pretty repetitive. And by the time we got to Broken Crown Halo (2014), I couldn’t be bothered to listen through the whole album more than twice before giving it up as a total disappointment. Shallow Life (2009) seemed to be fairly unpopular with the fans, but I think what separates these albums for me is that Shallow Life was simply poppy/catchy, while the other two were uninteresting. At least poppy metal can be fun and catchy (look into Amaranthe’s popularity, if you don’t believe me), but Dark Adrenaline and Broken Crown Halo seemed quite uninspired.

So when 2016’s Delirium was announced, I had lost all ability to hope for a good album, as well as most of my interest in the band. Of course, there’s always hope. Though Hydra was no The Silent Force, Within Temptation was moving back in the right direction, and King of Kings brought Leaves’ Eyes back from the dead for me. So why couldn’t Lacuna Coil have a comeback too? With the press releases stating that Delirium would be one of their heaviest albums to date, I didn’t dare to hope, but an open mind is always a useful tool of the trade! With a nearly all-new line-up, who knows what might happen?

I had planned to put this album on and have it in the background as I did some studying. The music to “The House of Shadows” started playing and the first thought that came to my mind was, “Holy what the f**k!?” That roar at the beginning blasted me nearly right out of my pants. As I said, I’ve never found Andrea Ferro to be an especially good male vocalist, so I was not expecting that at all. In fact, I can’t even recall Ferro trying to properly growl before, now that I think about it. I’m not sure how I feel about the album just yet, but they undoubtedly caught my attention! Immediately in this song, Ferro has gone deeper and darker than I recall ever hearing him, and Cristina Scabbia has come back up to a higher level that I haven’t heard since Comalies. I’m a sucker for a good starting track, so I applaud them already!

By the second song, “Broken Things,” I was getting into it. There is still a strong flavor of their new style, but it’s darker and heavier than their last two albums, which is nice. Those modern poppy/catchy elements that have been losing them some followers are still present, but I feel like it’s stepped back at least as far as Swallow Life, or maybe even Karmacode. In fact, the first three songs could be considered a best-of of Lacuna Coil’s styles. “The House of Shadows” is very much like their earlier music, “Broken Things” is closer to Karmacode or Shallow Life, and “Delirium” very much has the feel of their newer albums, with its repetitive and accessible sound.

“Downfall” is the first slower song, though can’t quite be called a ballad. It’s a bit reminiscent of Comalies, at least vocals-wise for Scabbia, and Ferro is still doing his best to work on these growls. They’re not amazing, to tell the truth, but they’re impressive coming from someone who’s always just been “the male vocalist.” The album does, thanks to the loss of half of their band members, have a fair number of guest solos, and “Downfall” features none other than Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge, etc), who gives the band a taste of chill, casual, rock ‘n’ roll in the solo.

The attempt to use children to be creepy in the beginning of “Take Me Home” is fairly effective. We get a bit of a taste of the old Ferro vocal style here, but he’s developed a bit of grit thanks to all the growling that I certainly appreciate. One of Lacuna Coil’s recent downfalls has been getting repetitive in their songs over the years, and this song has the same flaw.

“Ghost in the Mist” is a fairly good track. It has a lot of the sounds that I enjoy from both vocalists, including Ferro’s newly-developed sounds, and even the title reminds me of older Lacuna Coil tracks, which is fun to notice. “My Demons,” as well, has caught my attention a few times since I’ve been listening to this album. The new band members are certainly showing their colors on this album as well. Ryan Blake Folden has certainly found the Lacuna Coil style and is keeping it alive, and Marco “Maki” Coti-Zelati shows a great deal of diversity with the guitars, keyboards, bass, and synth all in one.

“Ultimate Radio” is a solid closer for a decent comeback album. Ferro continues to sound far better than normal, and we get a good amount of Comalies -era Scabbia sound as well. The dynamics are solid, and it ends the album on a high note, which is almost as important as starting an album on a high note (but not quite).

Overall, I think both vocalists are doing very well in Delirium. The loyal, dedicated fans will recognize elements of Scabbia’s poppier sound from the more recent albums like Shallow Life, while the old fans will definitely get a throwback to Comalies and Unleashed Memories. Ferro is definitely progressing in a really good direction in this album. Delirium is definitely the darkest and heaviest thing I’ve heard from this band in ages, and it’s a solid step in the right direction for them, getting in touch with their original sound and what garnered them fame in the beginning, but also not abandoning that easy-to-handle poppish sound from their newer material altogether. The blend of the two is nice, and perhaps this means that Lacuna Coil is steering back into the right direction! However, I’ve never exactly been able to place what “it” exactly was that Lacuna Coil has lost over the years, and I don’t think this album has exactly found it again. The music these days, while good, is simply not as complex and moving as it once was. As such, my final score is 7/10, or 3 stars.

Track list:

1. The House of Shame

2. Broken Things

3. Delirium

4. Blood, Tears, Dust

5. Downfall

6. Take Me Home

8. Ghost in the Mist

9. My Demons

10. Claustrophobia

11. Ultima Radio

That review kind of lost me when he said there past couple releases have been forgettable

still heavier seems to be the key word here.

Mick

• Like 2

It's the heaviest they have ever been, but not sacrificing melody.

I'm all over that!

Seriously, that kind of assessment is a bloody fantastic recommendation, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Review number two:

Track list:

1. The House of Shame

2. Broken Things

3. Delirium

4. Blood, Tears, Dust

5. Downfall

6. Take Me Home

8. Ghost in the Mist

9. My Demons

10. Claustrophobia

11. Ultima Radio

That review kind of lost me when he said there past couple releases have been forgettable

still heavier seems to be the key word here.

Mick

I respect that though. The number of fans who hate Karmacode with a passion is something I am now used too.

Once I got passed the negativity I am pleased that the reviewer was able to admit the record surpassed their expectations.

I hate that I have read these.

It's still over a month til release day!

• Like 1

It's the heaviest they have ever been, but not sacrificing melody.

I'm all over that!

Seriously, that kind of assessment is a bloody fantastic recommendation, as far as I'm concerned.

Andrea taking a huge leap in vocals is the best news ever. I adored his work on BCH perhaps more than Cri's most of the time!

He has come a long way since his worst effort: Shallow Life.

I don't need to be told Cri sounds fantastic. I already know she cannot be anything else.

Edited by Segue Myles