The Official Lacuna Coil Thread

Segue Myles

-.- *Dark Adrenaline* : Another album related with our dark side and opposite to certain standard rules, but without being tragic; just realistic.

All songs are excellent! :haz:

-.- *Broken Crown Halo* : Cristina explores more higher notes this time. - To me, Karmacode, Dark Adrenaline and this album are "sisters". Really ana amazing album. Favorites: Nothing Stands in Our Way, Victims, Die & Rise, I Forgive, Infection, In The End I Feel Alive, One Cold Day.

I'll post what I think of their EP's:

-.- *Lacuna Coil (1998)* : It shows the band has a future.

No Need to Explain, This is My Dream, Soul Into Hades and Un Fantasma Tra Noi (A Ghost Bewteen Us) are very appreciated.

-.- *Halflife* : Of course the title track is great and show how the band has matured a bit. But I also choose: Hyperfast and Stars (which is a cover). Stars is a light song and it deserved to be included. Senzafine is also on Unleashed Memories and I already said about it...

Bonus tracks: Lost Lullaby is amazing. Says a lot, with no further explanations. :)

Virtual Environment, Without a Reason, Soul Inmate, Dark Adrenaline are as great as original tracks. Virtual Environment, I like how long it lasts and the rythm.

It's strange to me Broken Crown Halo has no bonus tracks. (Where are the unrealeased tracks???)

I think that Comalies and Broken Crown Halo are sisters. BCH is what the follow up to Comalies should have been.

Zombies isn't one of your favorites from BCH? That chorus is amazing. Hostage To The Light is my favorite vocal performance from Cristina.

• Like 1

I think that Comalies and Broken Crown Halo are sisters. BCH is what the follow up to Comalies should have been.

Zombies isn't one of your favorites from BCH? That chorus is amazing. Hostage To The Light is my favorite vocal performance from Cristina.

:yes: It can be like this too. There are options.

I do like Zombies, but not enough, I think. No matter how many times I listen.

Hostage to The Light is great, I agree.

There are favorite tracks and the ones I do like, but a bit less. I hate none.

My verdicts:

Albums:

In A Reverie

I love the rawness of this effort. Unlike later albums, their is a slight sense that some of the arrangements were not completely finished, a slight repetitive nature to the song structures, but rather than feeling left disappointed, I actually love the fact the record is so clearly full of potential! Veins Of Glass is my favourite song by far, a real beauty. The use of acoustic guitars on this album is a lovely touch, and I also really enjoy the vocals of Cristina on this record. Stately Lover, My Wings, Cold and Falling Again are terrific.

Unleashed Memories

This album took a long time to grow on me. It is one of the bands less heavy albums, but emotionally and thematically it is the Lacuna Coil's magnum opus. It takes me by the heart and refuses to let go. The entire album feels like, as the title suggests, a journey into memories. Every song over time has come to mean so much to me, but To Live Is To Hide, Senzafine, When A Dead Man Walks and Distant Sun are gorgeous, sumptuous, and very atmospheric anthems for those who love Gothic metal. 1:19 and Cold Heritage are my very favourite songs. A top three album in my entire music collection.

Comalies

Surprisingly similar to UM, Comalies is heavier, with bolder songs and more flamboyant vocals. Full of classics, it is actually surprising that of all the songs on this record, the slower numbers are my most appreciated moments. Humane, Entwined and The Ghost Woman And The Hunter are classics.

Karmacode

I truly do not understand the hate this album gets. Whereas the earlier records took influences from eighties pop, British Gothic metal, and clearly elements of The Gathering (same producer), here Lacuna Coil decided to keep the same influences, and adapt them to a slightly more Americanised sound. And what is the result? An album rich in middle Eastern vocal arrangements, heavier, groove laden bass lines (and I swear I do not hear Korn, but even if I did, the sound is utilised incredibly well), and truly beautiful songs. And for all the footstomping classics, my favourite song is, again, a melancholy number: In Visible Light. Possibly my favourite LC song of them all! Karmacode means the world to me, and shares the top spot with Unleashed Memories in many ways, but at the end of the day, Karmacode is my all time favourite album. It clearly continues where Comalies left off, but at the same time in confidently leads the band into new directions.

Shallow Life

And they went into this direction: Shallow Life. As much as I enjoy this album, as time moves forward I find I like it less and less. I remember the first time I heard it, I was speechless, and entirely unsure what they were doing. I hear little depth, and although the album has a few serious moments, such as Wide Awake and the title track, they actually do little for me. I love the harder, rockier pop numbers: Not Enough is hands down one of my favourite songs ever, a real pop gem with hooks that should have been the lead single and a major hit. I'm Not Afraid is actually a real blend of Comalies' Swamped mixed with a touch of Linkin Park, and I love it entirely. But it also has songs like Underdog, The Maze, and The Pain. Wow...not really for me at all! The one outright pop number, I Like It, is heavily derided. But I hear much of older songs like My Wings or Unspoken, mixed with a real top forty pop vibe. Adore it! Shallow Life is easily the bands weakest album, but if I am not in a Lacuna Coil mood, it still ticks the right boxes for me, just for being so different to everything else. Heavily watered down LC, but with a lot to warrant a fans attention.

Dark Adrenaline

I had full confidence after the experimental SL that LC would get back to basics, and to a certain point they did! But what I am most proud of is how much of the Shallow Life style remains intact. In many ways, this is the sister album to SL, but infused with a very energetic, driving metal edge and chock full of crazy catchy anthems! More than any other LC album, this is the one i recommend to newcomers, it is a winner through and through, and it is both incredibly modern and full of old school Lacuna Coil vibes.

Broken Crown Halo

Lacuna Coil are back to metal, with an album that to me, is high on the heavy, but a little less instantly catchy. The songs lack the full on energetic melodicism of Dark Adrenaline, but its strength in its force of lower, and the vocals of both Cristina Scabbia and Andrea Ferro are pushed to full potential! Hostage TonThe Light is a major fan favourite, but the songs that most impress me are Zombies, Victims, Cybersleep and I Forgive. It ranks only a little under DA for me, but I love the fact that in so many ways, this sounds like the true follow up to Comalies without sounding like a recyclement or rehashing of old ideas. A major classic, and already woefully underrated amongst metal fans.

I love Karmacode, truly I do, but BCH feels the most like Comalies, and it perhaps would have been a better follow up (Karmacode is precious to me, but I am always amazed by the surprising leap in style between CL and KC).

I prefer KC, but BCH is a truly amazing "return to form" for a band that, for me at least, never lost it to begin with. But its the most old-school fan friendly album since Comalies, which at the time of its release was already twelve years old.

Your "veredicts" make sense, Segue. I also don't understand the hatred in Karmacode. (Who compares them with Korn??) :huh:

I prefer KC, but BCH is a truly amazing "return to form" for a band that, for me at least, never lost it to begin with. But its the most old-school fan friendly album since Comalies, which at the time of its release was already twelve years old.

:yes: You described well. A return to the old school roots. But I also notice something alike in Dark Adrenaline.

Let's what comes next. :)

• Like 2

Your "veredicts" make sense, Segue. I also don't understand the hatred in Karmacode. (Who compares them with Korn??) :huh:

:yes: You described well. A return to the old school roots. But I also notice something alike in Dark Adrenaline.

Dark Adrenaline has a lot of that old school approach, but in many ways it sounds like their attempt at cleaning up the failings of Shallow Life!

And so many fans nicknamed Karmacode Kornacode, or Lacuna Korn and such like..I swear I never heard it! And I don't even hate Korn, I don't like them, but I don't choose to pretend its not so...I just hear LC trying to diversify their sound, in a way that is both new and completely Lacuna Coil! Shallow Life is the one album where I feel they lost their way, but I place the blame at the feet of the producer, Don't Gilmore. Dark Adrenaline was a better, and stronger, example of the LC sound as they revealed that Gilmore had a lot less control, which was perfect!

And my spelling is terrible lately.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Dark Adrenaline has a lot of that old school was, but in many ways it sounds like their attempt at cleaning up the failings of Shallow Life!

And so many fans nicknamed Karmacode Kornacode, or Lacuna Korn and such like..I swear I never heard it! And I don't even hate Korn, I don't like them, but I don't choose to pretend its not so...I just hear LC trying to diversify their sound!

"Lacuna Korn" :LOL: --> But seriously now: Not at all!! Nothing to do with Korn. I don't like Korn and also don't love them. It's a band that don't catch my interest.

It's good they made better than Shallow Life, honestly.

And now... thinking better, I agree Hostage of Light is impressive. I can add to my favorite ones too. :)

• Like 1

Dark Adrenaline has a lot of that old school was, but in many ways it sounds like their attempt at cleaning up the failings of Shallow Life!

And so many fans nicknamed Karmacode Kornacode, or Lacuna Korn and such like..I swear I never heard it! And I don't even hate Korn, I don't like them, but I don't choose to pretend its not so...I just hear LC trying to diversify their sound!

"Lacuna Korn" :LOL: --> But seriously now: Not at all!! Nothing to do with Korn. I don't like Korn and also don't love them. It's a band that don't catch my interest.

It's good they made better than Shallow Life, honestly.

And now... thinking better, I agree Hostage of Light is impressive. I can add to my favorite ones too. :)

Hostage, Cybersleep, Victims, One Cold Day and I Forgive were absolutely incredible moments for me in BCH!

Just finished playing it, and I love it more and more!

• Like 1

http://40.media.tumblr.com/a25a2a431f436ac877f7a2f10caa468b/tumblr_nng2ffXWHG1u76pplo1_1280.jpg
  • Like 2

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/lacuna-coil-is-reintroducing-a-lot-of-growling-vocals-on-upcoming-album/

New album to be done next month and out possibly out in May.

Going to be heavier like their older stuff and they've reintroduced growling vocals. Not sure how I feel about the growling. I guess it will be better when I can hear how they use them. But with Andi's voice sounding as good as it has over the last few albums, I don't like the idea of him ruining it by doing this again.

• Like 1

http://www.blabbermo...upcoming-album/

Going to be heavier like their older stuff and they've reintroduced growling vocals. Not sure how I feel about the growling. I guess it will be better when I can hear how they use them. But with Andi's voice sounding as good as it has over the last few albums, I don't like the idea of him ruining it by doing this again.

I was honestly pumped for something different. More metal? OK, but I hope the melody remains a tight focus.

As for the growling, I can't say I am excited.

What a total crock of shite.

You are sweet

• Like 1

I was honestly pumped for something different. More metal? OK, but I hope the melody remains a tight focus.

Well, they've always been metal. Shallow Life is the only album they did that really wasn't. The melody has been there from the beginning, so I don't see that changing. Andi might end up doing melodic growling.

Still, the original report was that it was gonna be a more electronic album. I guess the skills of their new drummer made them change their minds. I'm fine with that actually. Trying to do something that sounds like Depech Mode or Sisters Of Mercy might sound outdated today.

• Like 1

Well, they've always been metal. Shallow Life is the only album they did that really wasn't. The melody has been there from the beginning, so I don't see that changing. Andi might end up doing melodic growling.

Still, the original report was that it was gonna be a more electronic album. I guess the skills of their new drummer made them change their minds. I'm fine with that actually. Trying to do something that sounds like Depech Mode or Sisters Of Mercy might sound outdated today.

True, but I am getting bored of their current evolution. I love every album but I want something different. I hope this is a newer direction rather than another Broken Crown Halo with more growling.

I also really want them to break away a bit from the short and concise songwriting and go back a little to writing music with a little more fluidity, such as Reverie, In The End I Feel Alive (that outro), Humane or Wave Of Anguish. I noticed on BCH they were a little less rigid in their approach, with Victims and Cybersleep both sounding a lot more creative and One Cold Day ended the album beautifully.

I don't want them to go prog or anything, but I would like them to completely break away from writing singles and go in a very unique direction, sort of like Unleashed Memories or Comalies.

So, expand on BCH but without sounding like it. I was chuffed to see they are producing this themselves without one single American producer in sight, so maybe I will get my wish!

Sorry typing as I think about this for the first time. If it makes no sense to you, it does to me!

This is how I would have released Shallow Life:

1. Survive

2. I Won't Tell You

3. Not Enough

4. I'm Not Afraid

5. I Like It

6. Spellbound

7. Wide Awake

8. Leaving Alone

9. The Last Goodbye

10. Shallow Life

11. Oblivion

I swear, Leaving Alone, The Last Goodbye and Oblivion are three of the bands finest songs ever. The following songs really are, for me, the worst they have ever released, and all were album tracks:

Underdog (worst LC song ever)

The Pain (amazing bridge, mediocre chorus)

The Maze (they had better songs in this vein on Comalies, notably The Prophet Said)

Unchained (I really love the solo, I actually adore the verses, and for me, the chorus is not bad. But I would have made this the b-side)

I for one welcome the return of more dirty vocals if it is true. In a reverie is still my favorite..

Also kinda hoping for a tour somewhere by me

That was sooooo annoying

If you are referring to LC, they are not for everybody!

That was sooooo annoying

Maybe she is talking about the first page where you spammed all your posts with

NEW ALBUM NEW ALBUM NEW ALBUM NEW ALBUM

Which was annoying ;)

• Like 1

That was sooooo annoying

Maybe she is talking about the first page where you spammed all your posts with

Which was annoying ;)

I also Spammed Intagram, Facebook and various other forums.

I AM EXCITED, DAMMIT

Hah

Hahah

Uh oh, Segue is slipping when it comes to band news.

Guitarist Marco 'Maus' Biazzi has decided to leave the band after 17 years with them.

http://lacunacoilofficial.tumblr.com/

http://www.blabbermo...co-maus-biazzi/

I have been reading up in it for about two hours, but glad you posted this!

Can I be honest? This band could benefit from new blood. The three main songwriters are still here, and they are also the only three members to appear on every single release.

There is potential for great things, maybe renewed energy. Whatever is happening in this band, it has the potential to make them stronger.

I have some mild reservations about the upcoming album, but then again I also had them prior to BCH, and I was blessed to have another great album!

I will miss him, but LC have always been about Maki, Cri and Andi. My heart will be broken only when this trio is broken up.

LC has a future, at least for a little while.

• Like 1