Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

So sorry to see I missed out on a fair bit of fraroc craziness last night!

Total borefest.

We needed you.

I thought you did rather well!

82cec312acd302e15262a99d1b81bfd0.gif

• Like 1

A lot of rock stars have families and they've managed to have it both ways so that they can still perform their craft and be a part of their family. It almost seems as if Neil just flat-out refuses to understand that...This guy wants to live not only a Rush free rest of his life, but he also seems like he wants to live a drum-free rest of his life.

The world does not revolve around your desires. Settle down.

You won't find a bigger ally than me around here, and even I think you're being pretty insufferable.

Try to grasp the words in your signature.

• Like 1

A lot of rock stars have families and they've managed to have it both ways so that they can still perform their craft and be a part of their family. It almost seems as if Neil just flat-out refuses to understand that...This guy wants to live not only a Rush free rest of his life, but he also seems like he wants to live a drum-free rest of his life.

A bit ago in this thread, you said you only had a problem with "how" Neil was choosing to retire. Now it sounds like you have a problem with his retiring. Neil ain't the one refusing to understand something here...
  • Like 2

You won't find a bigger ally than me around here, and even I think you're being pretty insufferable.

Eggzacktleigh!

• Like 1

Eggzacktleigh!

Igg-ZACK-lee, maaaannnn...

• Like 1

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/geddy-lee-neil-peart-retire-comment/

A day after Neil Peart seemed to confirm that he was walking away from music, Rush bandmate Geddy Lee is clearing things up. “There’s really nothing to say. I think Neil is just explaining his reasons for not wanting to tour, with the toll that it’s taking on his body,” Lee told Prog (via Classic Rock magazine). “That’s all I would care to comment on it.”

Rush have been at a career crossroads since completing the comprehensive R40 tour, citing family and health issues as reasons for not wanting to mount another jaunt of that scope. Still, they hadn’t ruled out a follow-up 2012’s Clockwork Angels album and perhaps a few select concert dates in the future.

But Peart, in an interview with Drumhead magazine, appeared to have taken a far more definitive step into complete retirement. But Lee explained that nothing has been decided about Rush’s next move, just a week after the release of R40 Live on DVD, Blu-ray and CD. He said that Peart was simply framing his decision to take a break.

“We’ll get together eventually and chat about things,” Lee said. “But in my view, there is certainly nothing surprising in what he said. Neil just feels that he has to explain with all the thousands of people asking, ‘Why no more tours?’ He needs to explain his side of it.”

Lee said he thinks Peart’s comments were taken out of context. “”That’s their job,” he noted. “Talking about something when there’s nothing to talk about.”

Lee said he thinks Peart’s comments were taken out of context. “”That’s their job,” he noted. “Talking about something when there’s nothing to talk about.”

You effing vultures, happy now? you made Geddy mad!

:unsure:

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 2

Uh-oh

Geddy must have been lurking about here.

Yeah, in the whole (unedited) interview he said "effing LiX!"

• Like 2

You effing vultures, happy now? you made Geddy mad!

:unsure:

Your Awesomeness, we apparently had the same thought.

:)

• Like 1

Uh-oh

At least you stood out enough for him to remember your name. Be positive! :)

• Like 1

A lot of rock stars have families and they've managed to have it both ways so that they can still perform their craft and be a part of their family. It almost seems as if Neil just flat-out refuses to understand that...

I've seen nothing from him to warrant this conclusion. As near as I can tell he understands it just fine and just happens to have a different set of values at this point in his life.

This guy wants to live not only a Rush free rest of his life, but he also seems like he wants to live a drum-free rest of his life.

Assuming that's true, so what?

Sounds to me like Geddy's in denial about Neil completely walking away from Rush. He (Neil) has given zero indication that he's interested in making new music. I get the feeling he views recording as a step toward inevitably being expected to tour again.
  • Like 1

Sounds to me like Geddy's in denial about Neil completely walking away from Rush. He (Neil) has given zero indication that he's interested in making new music. I get the feeling he views recording as a step toward inevitably being expected to tour again.

I think you're right on all counts. It could be that Geddy is engaging in a bit of wishful thinking as far as Neil coming around after some time off. I suppose it is possible that Neil might be on board to do future recording as long as it's absolutely clear he's not going to go on tour to support it. I wonder, would Geddy and Alex do a tour without Neil? I know they've said things along the lines that they wouldn't, but I wonder if that would change if push came to shove?

I think you're right on all counts. It could be that Geddy is engaging in a bit of wishful thinking as far as Neil coming around after some time off. I suppose it is possible that Neil might be on board to do future recording as long as it's absolutely clear he's not going to go on tour to support it. I wonder, would Geddy and Alex do a tour without Neil? I know they've said things along the lines that they wouldn't, but I wonder if that would change if push came to shove?

Whoever they got to replace Neil would have to have a thick skin. They would be nitpicked to the nth degree from the fans. Probably from the media too for that matter.

• Like 1

i only saw Rush twice and i'm beyond good.

Mick

I've only seen Rush twice in the last 21 years.

Me too.

Saw them several times prior to that, with a long dry spell in between...but I'm just grateful for all that I have gotten to enjoy...and will continue to.

I'm with you...dry spells and gratitude.

Saw them in '83, '90, '92, '94, then in '07.

Mainly, I'm really happy that I fell in love with Rush at such a young age. I was a diehard fan when I was in 4th grade (first heard & remember them at age 6). My first gig ever was catching them on the Signals tour when I was 5th grade. Watching Rush on MTV in those days with my buddy who liked them too (because I liked them) was so much fun. Fast forward to 2005 when I visited Beijing with a few day side trip to Tai Shan...I mean, I don't even really like the song! :LOL: That's some influence! I understand WHY the lyrics were written even though the band may think the song was a failed experiment. And I'm grateful it was written and that I had visited the place. Finally, two years after that, flying across the planet to Toronto to catch them twice on the Snakes tour, meeting tons of TRFers, and visiting Lifeson's Orbit Room...yeah, all of that had a powerful impact on me.

...some memories last forever...

• Like 1

Uh-oh

"That's their job" refers to journalists of course. But yeah, the whole interview included "that f***ing LiX is a piece of work! And piss on those TRFers that seem to want drama! We don't live for you fraroc! I'm gonna go hit a vineyard until the next Rush meeting!"

• Like 1

Rush might finally have a little drama after all these years.......haha

The drama has been there basically since Neil came back from his "hiatus". But being the consummate professionals that they are, it was all kept behind the scenes.

So you think for the most part they won't even be on talking terms from here on out? I know, i know why should we care but I think the reason fans find this stuff fascinating is because Rush always seemed to be one of the few bands out there that was drama-less. I guess I should have always read into the fact that they rarely do interviews with neil its always separate. But just found it surprising that all this stuff was going on behind the scenes.

I do find it hard to believe that something in the next decade or so won't at least bring him out of retirement for at least a one-off gig. But from the sounds of it they are event on talking terms and it might stay like that permanently?

The drama has been there basically since Neil came back from his "hiatus". But being the consummate professionals that they are, it was all kept behind the scenes.

So you think for the most part they won't even be on talking terms from here on out? I know, i know why should we care but I think the reason fans find this stuff fascinating is because Rush always seemed to be one of the few bands out there that was drama-less. I guess I should have always read into the fact that they rarely do interviews with neil its always separate. But just found it surprising that all this stuff was going on behind the scenes.

I do find it hard to believe that something in the next decade or so won't at least bring him out of retirement for at least a one-off gig. But from the sounds of it they are event on talking terms and it might stay like that permanently?

I think a lot has been going on behind the scenes since the eighties. Didn't Neil want to call it quits back then after HYF or Presto?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I think a lot has been going on behind the scenes since the eighties. Didn't Neil want to call it quits back then after HYF or Presto?

Let's not forget...Neil has consistently referred to Geddy and Alex as the "guys from work" in his books. He came into the band as the third wheel, the new guy. Perhaps he has always felt that way. If so, Geddy and Alex hold some responsibility in continuing to make him feel as such, thus, it's not so hard for him to walk away. I see a distance between the two life-long friends, and the third man.

Perhaps Neil has tried and tried to become more than just a business partner with Geddy and Alex, and somehow not connected to them in a way that is soul satisfying, or deeper than just band-mates.

This thing is more complex than we can imagine. Really, I see two people competing for the attention of Alex. Just look at the dinner lodge video. Geddy really doesn't listen to Neil, or appreciate his humor.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Let's not forget...Neil has consistently referred to Geddy and Alex as the "guys from work" in his books. He came into the band as the third wheel, the new guy. Perhaps he has always felt that way. If so, Geddy and Alex hold some responsibility in continuing to make him feel as such, thus, it's not so hard for him to walk away. I see a distance between the two life-long friends, and the third man.

Perhaps Neil has tried and tried to become more than just a business partner with Geddy and Alex, and somehow not connected to them in a way that is soul satisfying, or deeper than just bandmates.

This thing is deeper than we can imagine. Really, I see two people competing for the attention of Alex. Just look at the dinner lodge video. Geddy really doesn't listen to Neil, or appreciate his humor.

If so, and I don't think what you have written is beyond being possible, they sure did put on a good act in front of the cameras.

The BTLS I have is the cheap-o one dvd version . I have to order the one that has the entire thing with them eating dinner at that lodge.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1